By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The secret of Playstation's success in Spain.

Tagged games:

That was too long

Around the Network

Here in Portugal it´s the same thing, but even more Sony biased, it´s european country where Sony has a bigger market share. I remember seeing Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood adds on TV, and the Playstation 3 logo appears in the end, giving the false idea of being an Sony exclusive. I believe Microsoft marketing is almost none, never saw an add, but you can find Playstation brand everywhere, TV, football stadiuns, even bus stops recently had big Beyond Two Souls adds.

Wright said:
colafitte said:
I prefer to think that:

1) Spain just have an irrational hate against the Microsoft brand.
2) We're very conservative and nostalgic here.
3) "La play" is so associated to gaming console it trascended above anyone else.

I doubt your two first points have substance, (the nostalgic part, at least. Damn right about being conservatives) but I can totally relate to the third one. So you do reaffirm my point that people here can't see past Playstation, because that's the "rule of gold".

I do admit that saying "Vamos a echarnos unas xboxs" sounds totally horrible in comparison of "¡vamos a echarnos una play!"

Maybe "nostalgic" wasn't the most accurate word, just take "conservative", but respecting the first point, it's not a joke... there's something bad associated against Microsoft here. I don't know if this is just a thing about the numerous jokes against Windows as a SO over the years or something else....but when in Spain you receive a bad impression, it's very difficult to change people's mind.

colafitte said:

Maybe "nostalgic" wasn't the most accurate word, just take "conservative", but respecting the first point, it's not a joke... there's something bad associated against Microsoft here. I don't know if this is just a thing about the numerous jokes against Windows as a SO over the years or something else....but when in Spain you receive a bad impression, it's very difficult to change people's mind.

Hmmm...since there's another poster who shares your same idea, you could be right, then. Never thought there was so much hate, though. Maybe it was due to Win 98 presentation?

I have an honest question to our Spaniard friends. How has the unemployment rates of recent years affected consumers and consoles? I would think going from 8-10% to 24-27% would have had a massive impact on people there.

Around the Network

That was long but i read the whole thing. What's wrong with me?

Seems like a nation of PS fanninos. Always wondered why were you not banned or at least moderated for liking XB in España. Seems like your triple agent reputation protected you.

Augen said:
I have an honest question to our Spaniard friends. How has the unemployment rates of recent years affected consumers and consoles? I would think going from 8-10% to 24-27% would have had a massive impact on people there.

Back in 2012, sales rate peaked for about 16% consoles-wise, though we ended up the fiscal year with over 822 millions in profits (regarding gaming). I'll guess we more or less stayed the same in 2013, since the situation hasn't really changed much.

Hardware was the worst, since it sold 1,49 million units less than previous years.

green_sky said:

That was long but i read the whole thing. What's wrong with me?

Seems like a nation of PS fanninos. Always wondered why were you not banned or at least moderated for liking XB in España. Seems like your triple agent reputation protected you.

You enjoy good reading :P

And yeah, I know dirty secrets from almost everyone in this site. That's the reason mods can't ban me. Hell, I even posted explicit NSFW and Smeags only dare to "warn" me.

Wright said:
colafitte said:

Hmmm...since there's another poster who shares your same idea, you could be right, then. Never thought there was so much hate, though. Maybe it was due to Win 98 presentation?

I don't know why the reasons are exactly...., but i know how we are here, and if something starts to be a recurring joke and become succesfully discredited, everyone jumps to it and starts doing the same, and after some time, you don't know why you do it, but you do it because every one is doing it..., just because is fun.

So probably, this started as a joke with Windows blue screens..., or maybe some joke about Bill Gates..... Sincerely i don't know and i don't share that opinion... I spent my 4 years studying informatics listening one of my teachers (and every smartass about computers) trashing Windows every time they can....

But i don't think is just Spain in respect of Microsoft brand. I remember seeing a UK documental about brand loyalty and they were talking about Xbox and Playstation, and they stated how Xbox was very well received because there wasn't any Microsoft label or symbol seen in the hardware, so people didn't connect Xbox with Microsoft. Aparently, they said that because in a poll they made, Microsoft was not as well regarded as other brands....(I think this was around 2007).

So maybe, Microsoft used Xbox 360 to clean their image putting a lot of effort in UK, but, maybe they didn't do the same in Spain....

Gee and I just thought it was cause Spanish people were smart and bought the best console.