By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Basketball's Current Most Overrated Players

bugrimmar said:
dsage01 said:
No Rudy Gay?

He's not overrated. He just sucks. That's why he's been bouncing around teams recently. All GMs and fans understand that he's a nobody in the league.

As a Raptors fan I am glad we traded him

Around the Network
mtu9356 said:
First of all I would not put stephen curry up there. He's the best pure shooter we've had in the NBA since ray allen (in his prime). If you are going to rip on him for his defense go watch a rocket's game and focus on james harden.

As far as overrated goes...
You could pretty much list off all the chuckers in the NBA.
Melo, Rudy Gay, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson etc...

Also guy's known for dunking
Blake Griffin (soft)
DeAndre Jordan
Dwight Howard (Waste of talent, but looks better than he really is because there aren't any other dominate centers yet... Cousins and Drummond)

We mine as well throw in Head Coaches as well
Doc Rivers
Erik Spoelstra (not sure if anyone actually thinks he is a good coach?)

the problem is, that's exactly what Curry is. A shooter. Nothing more. He puts up far too many shots and he throws the ball away far too often. And he's like a piece of paper on defense. Overrated and overpaid just for a shooter.

Spoelstra, I think, is actually pretty good. He's got two championships off of a team that doesn't have any decent inside presence, and basically changed the way Lebron and Wade approach the game. They didn't win in their first season because those two were chucking so many threes. After that, they got in the post a whole lot more and there was a marked improvement in the Heat's efficiency. That alone makes Spo a pretty good choice as a coach.

leo-j said:
Kobe and derrick, dwyane is super underrated, playing almost on par with lebron and everyone says he lost a step.. Ppl act like he is 34 going 35

Wade's not underrated, more like past his prime.  He was a top 3 player in his prime along side Kobe and Lebron.  Too bad he has the knee's of an 80 year old from all the wear and tear.  If I remember correctly he had his miniscus snipped instead of having surgery to heal it properly.  In hinesight that may have cost him several healthy seasons.  Derrick Rose had the same injury but did the smart thing and is letting it heal.

bugrimmar said:
mtu9356 said:
First of all I would not put stephen curry up there. He's the best pure shooter we've had in the NBA since ray allen (in his prime). If you are going to rip on him for his defense go watch a rocket's game and focus on james harden.

Blake Griffin (soft)
DeAndre Jordan
Dwight Howard (Waste of talent, but looks better than he really is because there aren't any other dominate centers yet... Cousins and Drummond)

Doc Rivers

the problem is, that's exactly what Curry is. A shooter. Nothing more. He puts up far too many shots and he throws the ball away far too often. And he's like a piece of paper on defense. Overrated and overpaid just for a shooter.

Spoelstra, I think, is actually pretty good. He's got two championships off of a team that doesn't have any decent inside presence, and basically changed the way Lebron and Wade approach the game. They didn't win in their first season because those two were chucking so many threes. After that, they got in the post a whole lot more and there was a marked improvement in the Heat's efficiency. That alone makes Spo a pretty good choice as a coach.

Curry isn't a top 5 player, more like fringe top 10.  Being by far the best three point shooter elevates him to that status.  There are plenty of other players who can hit 40% or close to that from 3pt territory when they spot up, what makes Curry special is how he can create his own shot and regularly sink 3's off the dribble.

mtu9356 said:

Curry isn't a top 5 player, more like fringe top 10.  Being by far the best three point shooter elevates him to that status.  There are plenty of other players who can hit 40% or close to that from 3pt territory when they spot up, what makes Curry special is how he can create his own shot and regularly sink 3's off the dribble.

There's a reason why the warriors aren't doing well this season. News Flash: their so-called "best" player is just a glorified version of Kyle Korver. When the warriors start winning based on Curry's play, I'll change my mind.

I'll leave it at that.

Around the Network
mtu9356 said:

Blake Griffin (soft)
DeAndre Jordan

Doc Rivers

Spoelstra really is a good coach. For some reason people think he isn't just because he has a lot of "stars" on his team....but having stars on your team means nothing if they can't play together and be led by a good coach. Doc is also a really good coach anyone trying to downplay that can't be serious.

As for teh otehrs you named....I agree

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

mtu9356 said:
leo-j said:
Kobe and derrick, dwyane is super underrated, playing almost on par with lebron and everyone says he lost a step.. Ppl act like he is 34 going 35

Wade's not underrated, more like past his prime.  He was a top 3 player in his prime along side Kobe and Lebron.  Too bad he has the knee's of an 80 year old from all the wear and tear.  If I remember correctly he had his miniscus snipped instead of having surgery to heal it properly.  In hinesight that may have cost him several healthy seasons.  Derrick Rose had the same injury but did the smart thing and is letting it heal.

Nah Wade even with his knees is still currently a beast and people have been under rating him because of his knees. Even though he continues to have very good games. Like this past one against the Paces he was CLEARLY the reason the Heat won. Buit someone they made it seem like it was because of LBJ. But can't hate on that seeing as LBJ is currently the best player in the league.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Lebron James. The guy isn't even the most dominant player in the league (check the stats people...check, the, stats) and yet he's talked about as top 5 all time thanks to the corporate machine needing someone to sell their shit.

The only way to compare era's is to compare how dominant a player is relevant to their peers and when has James been that player? Early on, Kobe was the most dominant player in the league and now Durant is.

He's good, but the hype is SO ridiculously overblown, it's not even funny.

There's many but these are the current on the top of my head, Kobe, Rose, Carmelo, and Westbrook.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

mtu9356 said:
leo-j said:

Averaging 27 a game the past 6 is so like an 80 year old and to the guy that said lebron is overrated, he is jot, if anything people putting Paul George over him as MVP makes him underrated.. He is a monster 

mM