By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Basketball's Current Most Overrated Players

bugrimmar said:
se7en7thre3 said:
bum ass paul george

How can the best player in the best team be overrated? He's a solid MVP candidate this year.

773=Chicago=pissed off Bulls fan

I'd rather have the heat win another over the lame pacers.

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:

The measurement of a great player is if he can lead a team and make them win. Unfortunately, a bunch of losers keep getting media attention even though all they do is fill up the stat sheet meaninglessly and they can't make other players better.

1.) Stephen Curry - Great shooter, but nothing else. He has the worst basketball IQ on earth and plays 0 defense. He can get a hot shooting night here and there and suck the next game. Golden State is loaded with talent but look at them now; mediocre in the standings. All they can do is beat up on bad teams, but when a good team comes by, they fold like potato chips.

2.) Carmelo Anthony - Styles himself like MJ, but can't hit the shots when they matter. I don't remember the last time this guy actually made a game winner. He takes such horrible shots and bitches all about it after the games. Why in the hell would you want this guy leading a team? Anthony is never going to win a championship.

3.) Kevin Love - He's a stat filler and a godly one at that, surrounded by talent.. but for some reason, the team still sucks. This guy is a walking 25-15 guy on a nightly basis. Every time I've seen guys like that in the past (Duncan, Robinson, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Nowitzki, Shaq, etc.), they've dominated and made their team at least reach the finals if not win a championship. This guy can't even make his team get past the first round, despite his stat sheet. So what's wrong here? He can't defend to save his life and he doesn't have a big guy presence. He's just an individual on the court who's looking for his numbers.

4.) Joe Johnson - How much is this guy getting paid to hoist the ball from half court? This guy flat out never passes the ball and is single-handedly responsible for the shitty Brooklyn team this season.

I was expecting to come in here, and have to defend someone that you wrongly listed, but that list is actually pretty solid.

I'd add Dwight Howard to the list as well. All of the athletic gifts, and talent in the world, and he can't put it all together.

1. His still young, Jordan wasnt a good defender until Scottie showed him how to play defence.

2. Like Jordan he not a leader, just a ball craver tho Jordan made other around him better or at least he forced thier best out of them.

3. Is not leader, take a look at Lebron or Scottie Pippen when he played the Bulls without Jordan, he made others better around him. He need to become a leader and a presence on the court, and big aint that good anymore or at least not as important like back in the Shaq days.

4. Agree.

Lulz said:
bugrimmar said:

The measurement of a great player is if he can lead a team and make them win. Unfortunately, a bunch of losers keep getting media attention even though all they do is fill up the stat sheet meaninglessly and they can't make other players better.

1.) Stephen Curry - Great shooter, but nothing else. He has the worst basketball IQ on earth and plays 0 defense. He can get a hot shooting night here and there and suck the next game. Golden State is loaded with talent but look at them now; mediocre in the standings. All they can do is beat up on bad teams, but when a good team comes by, they fold like potato chips.

2.) Carmelo Anthony - Styles himself like MJ, but can't hit the shots when they matter. I don't remember the last time this guy actually made a game winner. He takes such horrible shots and bitches all about it after the games. Why in the hell would you want this guy leading a team? Anthony is never going to win a championship.

3.) Kevin Love - He's a stat filler and a godly one at that, surrounded by talent.. but for some reason, the team still sucks. This guy is a walking 25-15 guy on a nightly basis. Every time I've seen guys like that in the past (Duncan, Robinson, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Nowitzki, Shaq, etc.), they've dominated and made their team at least reach the finals if not win a championship. This guy can't even make his team get past the first round, despite his stat sheet. So what's wrong here? He can't defend to save his life and he doesn't have a big guy presence. He's just an individual on the court who's looking for his numbers.

4.) Joe Johnson - How much is this guy getting paid to hoist the ball from half court? This guy flat out never passes the ball and is single-handedly responsible for the shitty Brooklyn team this season.

I was expecting to come in here, and have to defend someone that you wrongly listed, but that list is actually pretty solid.

I'd add Dwight Howard to the list as well. All of the athletic gifts, and talent in the world, and he can't put it all together.

Dwight's good but his not as competive as Jordan or Shag and for good sake he need more post move...

bugrimmar said:
pokoko said:

1. Stephen Curry is just like his dad, then.  Dell was possibly the best in-game shooter I've ever seen but his complete inability to defend made him a role player.

2. I agree about Carmelo Anthony.  Yes, if he gets hot, he's as dangerous as anyone in the NBA, but if he's not hot, he's killing you with bad shots.  It doesn't seem to matter where he's at on the court, how heavily he's defended, or where the shot clock is, he'll throw something up.

3. I wouldn't put his team's failings all on Love.  Remember, Barkley absolutely sucked on defense, too.

4. Yeah, I think everyone in Atlanta found out about the over-hype for Joe Johnson.  Defend him well and he's basically just turning the ball over by taking tough shots.

Personally, I nominate Blake Griffin.  His ability to dunk is pretty much all that makes him a star.  You'd think that his athletic ability would make him a good defender, but he's not.  He's not a very good shooter and he isn't very good in the post.  He's a good player to have on your team but there are better guys at his position that most people have never heard of.

3. But Barkley brought his team to the finals by showing real leadership and intensity. Do you really expect a 6'4 PF to defend 6'9 guys? He did his best and he did a pretty good job too.

Blake Griffin is actually getting better. So far, it's obvious that he's working on the holes in his game by taking a lot more mid range shots and posting up on a more frequent basis. He'll get better, as long as Paul's around to teach him. If Paul leaves too early, he's gonna get crushed.

Barkley's teams didn't really do much until later in his career when he was on those excellent Suns teams, where the up-tempo approach was perfect for him.  As for defense, mostly what he did was gamble on a steal.  He could play good defense when he wanted but he was also famous for matador defense, as well.  Barkley was one of the best to ever play but what I'm saying is that you could have said the same things about him as about Love.  In Philly, he was a stat monster but they did little in the playoffs.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Barkley's teams didn't really do much until later in his career when he was on those excellent Suns teams, where the up-tempo approach was perfect for him.  As for defense, mostly what he did was gamble on a steal.  He could play good defense when he wanted but he was also famous for matador defense, as well.  Barkley was one of the best to ever play but what I'm saying is that you could have said the same things about him as about Love.  In Philly, he was a stat monster but they did little in the playoffs.

You have to consider Barkley's size. Love is a freaking monster compared to Barkley (at least 6 inches taller). He should be able to dominate more instead of making meaningless plays for numbers. Barkley provided intagiables and hustle that Love simply doesn't, and he's more of a clutch performer as well.

Kobe and derrick, dwyane is super underrated, playing almost on par with lebron and everyone says he lost a step.. Ppl act like he is 34 going 35

mM

There is an "official" NBA thread if you want to discuss too:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=172783

There are plenty of overrated players in the NBA. Curry, Love, Kobe are nice options.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

I couldnt agree more on Curry, he averages 6.9 assists but also 4.2 turnovers, he makes shots but then he shoots a lot,
Someone else I think is highly overrated to me is Kyrie Irving, I dont know, I just dont see him as the type of player you build your franchise around.
James Harden, easy to show off against weak under 500 teams but his numbers against teams above .500 are just bad.

First of all I would not put stephen curry up there. He's the best pure shooter we've had in the NBA since ray allen (in his prime). If you are going to rip on him for his defense go watch a rocket's game and focus on james harden.

As far as overrated goes...
You could pretty much list off all the chuckers in the NBA.
Melo, Rudy Gay, Josh Smith, Joe Johnson etc...

Also guy's known for dunking
Blake Griffin (soft)
DeAndre Jordan
Dwight Howard (Waste of talent, but looks better than he really is because there aren't any other dominate centers yet... Cousins and Drummond)

We mine as well throw in Head Coaches as well
Doc Rivers
Erik Spoelstra (not sure if anyone actually thinks he is a good coach?)