By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Basketball's Current Most Overrated Players

The measurement of a great player is if he can lead a team and make them win. Unfortunately, a bunch of losers keep getting media attention even though all they do is fill up the stat sheet meaninglessly and they can't make other players better.

1.) Stephen Curry - Great shooter, but nothing else. He has the worst basketball IQ on earth and plays 0 defense. He can get a hot shooting night here and there and suck the next game. Golden State is loaded with talent but look at them now; mediocre in the standings. All they can do is beat up on bad teams, but when a good team comes by, they fold like potato chips.

2.) Carmelo Anthony - Styles himself like MJ, but can't hit the shots when they matter. I don't remember the last time this guy actually made a game winner. He takes such horrible shots and bitches all about it after the games. Why in the hell would you want this guy leading a team? Anthony is never going to win a championship.

3.) Kevin Love - He's a stat filler and a godly one at that, surrounded by talent.. but for some reason, the team still sucks. This guy is a walking 25-15 guy on a nightly basis. Every time I've seen guys like that in the past (Duncan, Robinson, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Nowitzki, Shaq, etc.), they've dominated and made their team at least reach the finals if not win a championship. This guy can't even make his team get past the first round, despite his stat sheet. So what's wrong here? He can't defend to save his life and he doesn't have a big guy presence. He's just an individual on the court who's looking for his numbers.

4.) Joe Johnson - How much is this guy getting paid to hoist the ball from half court? This guy flat out never passes the ball and is single-handedly responsible for the shitty Brooklyn team this season.

Around the Network

1- Curry can do a lot more than just shooting, at least he's averaging 10 assists per game even though he shoots a lot of shots.
2- Did you see a match for the Knicks this season? All they do is just through the ball to Carmelo and go to the other side. They don't move which helps the other team to bring another one or two players to help the one guarding Melo. They have to fire the coach!
3- While I agree that the Wolves should get better result, I don't agree on calling Love "stat filler". He's a very good player and tries to help the team. The west is very strong this year, that is not helping.
4- Agree.

Stephen Curry, really?
He single handedley took the Warriors on his back last year and brought them to the playoffs.
imo he's a decent point guard on defense nothing special but decent.
As far as the Warriors current record goes, yes it's mediocre but let's talk about it once were halfway through the season.

I LOVE GIGGS said:
1- Curry can do a lot more than just shooting, at least he's averaging 10 assists per game even though he shoots a lot of shots.
2- Did you see a match for the Knicks this season? All they do is just through the ball to Carmelo and go to the other side. They don't move which helps the other team to bring another one or two players to help the one guarding Melo. They have to fire the coach!
3- While I agree that the Wolves should get better result, I don't agree on calling Love "stat filler". He's a very good player and tries to help the team. The west is very strong this year, that is not helping.
4- Agree.

1. He's also averaging almost 5 turnovers per game. What kind of PG throws the ball away that often? He's currently LEADING THE LEAGUE IN MOST TURNOVERS PER GAME. That's how terrible he is on the court. Guess what? Golden State is also the leader in turnovers per game, and that's the main reason they suck.

2. The reason the Knicks are doing this is because it's Melo. Melo wants the ball, Melo craves the ball, Melo doesn't pass the ball. It's not the coach's fault if a player flat out refuses to do shit except shoot anywhere he wants even against double teams.

3. If you average that much, there's no excuse for your team to be semi-tanking. Seriously, name another 25-15 guy on a nightly basis who wasn't able to lead his team to the finals. There's no such thing.

bugrimmar said:

The measurement of a great player is if he can lead a team and make them win. Unfortunately, a bunch of losers keep getting media attention even though all they do is fill up the stat sheet meaninglessly and they can't make other players better.

1.) Stephen Curry - Great shooter, but nothing else. He has the worst basketball IQ on earth and plays 0 defense. He can get a hot shooting night here and there and suck the next game. Golden State is loaded with talent but look at them now; mediocre in the standings. All they can do is beat up on bad teams, but when a good team comes by, they fold like potato chips.

2.) Carmelo Anthony - Styles himself like MJ, but can't hit the shots when they matter. I don't remember the last time this guy actually made a game winner. He takes such horrible shots and bitches all about it after the games. Why in the hell would you want this guy leading a team? Anthony is never going to win a championship.

3.) Kevin Love - He's a stat filler and a godly one at that, surrounded by talent.. but for some reason, the team still sucks. This guy is a walking 25-15 guy on a nightly basis. Every time I've seen guys like that in the past (Duncan, Robinson, Olajuwon, Malone, Barkley, Nowitzki, Shaq, etc.), they've dominated and made their team at least reach the finals if not win a championship. This guy can't even make his team get past the first round, despite his stat sheet. So what's wrong here? He can't defend to save his life and he doesn't have a big guy presence. He's just an individual on the court who's looking for his numbers.

4.) Joe Johnson - How much is this guy getting paid to hoist the ball from half court? This guy flat out never passes the ball and is single-handedly responsible for the shitty Brooklyn team this season.

1. Stephen Curry is just like his dad, then.  Dell was possibly the best in-game shooter I've ever seen but his complete inability to defend made him a role player.

2. I agree about Carmelo Anthony.  Yes, if he gets hot, he's as dangerous as anyone in the NBA, but if he's not hot, he's killing you with bad shots.  It doesn't seem to matter where he's at on the court, how heavily he's defended, or where the shot clock is, he'll throw something up.

3. I wouldn't put his team's failings all on Love.  Remember, Barkley absolutely sucked on defense, too.

4. Yeah, I think everyone in Atlanta found out about the over-hype for Joe Johnson.  Defend him well and he's basically just turning the ball over by taking tough shots.

Personally, I nominate Blake Griffin.  His ability to dunk is pretty much all that makes him a star.  You'd think that his athletic ability would make him a good defender, but he's not.  He's not a very good shooter and he isn't very good in the post.  He's a good player to have on your team but there are better guys at his position that most people have never heard of.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
bugrimmar said:

1. Stephen Curry is just like his dad, then.  Dell was possibly the best in-game shooter I've ever seen but his complete inability to defend made him a role player.

2. I agree about Carmelo Anthony.  Yes, if he gets hot, he's as dangerous as anyone in the NBA, but if he's not hot, he's killing you with bad shots.  It doesn't seem to matter where he's at on the court, how heavily he's defended, or where the shot clock is, he'll throw something up.

3. I wouldn't put his team's failings all on Love.  Remember, Barkley absolutely sucked on defense, too.

4. Yeah, I think everyone in Atlanta found out about the over-hype for Joe Johnson.  Defend him well and he's basically just turning the ball over by taking tough shots.

Personally, I nominate Blake Griffin.  His ability to dunk is pretty much all that makes him a star.  You'd think that his athletic ability would make him a good defender, but he's not.  He's not a very good shooter and he isn't very good in the post.  He's a good player to have on your team but there are better guys at his position that most people have never heard of.

3. But Barkley brought his team to the finals by showing real leadership and intensity. Do you really expect a 6'4 PF to defend 6'9 guys? He did his best and he did a pretty good job too.

Blake Griffin is actually getting better. So far, it's obvious that he's working on the holes in his game by taking a lot more mid range shots and posting up on a more frequent basis. He'll get better, as long as Paul's around to teach him. If Paul leaves too early, he's gonna get crushed.

No Rudy Gay?

dsage01 said:
No Rudy Gay?

He's not overrated. He just sucks. That's why he's been bouncing around teams recently. All GMs and fans understand that he's a nobody in the league.

bum ass paul george

se7en7thre3 said:
bum ass paul george

How can the best player in the best team be overrated? He's a solid MVP candidate this year.