By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: TV Providers In US and UK will offer Xbox One by 2016 alongside Cable boxes.

Tagged games:

justinian said:
Not sure about America but with SMART TVs growing rapidly in the UK and integration already being discussed with cable broadcasters I really don't see how using a unit than consumes far more power than your average cable box and cost far much more can be considered "sensible".

I have a smart TV with Gesture control. It is absolutely pathetic in comparison to Xbox One. Not even remotely the same thing. The gestures and voice commands are absolutely terrible, and the speed of the thing is about 50x slower than a Xbox One.

After using Xbox One for the same things everyday, you would know what I mean.

Around the Network

Changed your title to make it clearer that this is a prediction and not a news story.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Why would virgin media or sky want to share their profits with MS/xbox, or do MS a favour by distributing their system?
its not really a benefit because firstly, MS wouldnt give them the xbox one for free, that cost would be passed onto the customer making their (tv provider) service more expensive than the competitors.
people who were going to get an xbox anyway, might be interested...this is profit lost from retail.
those were were not going to get an xbox, are unlikely to spend enough money on games to allow MS to make their money back on the discounted price of the xbox.

no-one would win.

kitler53 said:
superchunk said:
That is not obvious.

Comcast (largest cable provider) and others are actually creating their own super-smart cable boxes.

While they *may* have agreements with MS to allow the Xbone to pull in their internet based digital content, I seriously doubt very many will allow you to replace your entire cable box with an xbone. After all the rental charges on these boxes as well as the complete control the providers have over them is a stream of direct and potential income.

pretty much.

xbone doesn't have a coax in port so without redesign xbox can't replace a cable box.  at best,.. cable providers will start making applications (like the netflix app) that allows their customers to view their cable content from a purely internet provided input. an application that:

A) the cable provider will retain 100% control of.

B) will be on xbone,. and ps4, and roku, and chromecast, and blu ray players, and absolutely any box they can put their app on.

...at which time the HDMI in becomes sort of pointless.

Ecxactly and as Sebastian said they will not give up their profit margins that easily. Plus cable providers have moved on to full home solutions, charge extra for every extender. They can now record upto 8 programs at once, have 1tb storage with support for external drives, and have their own streaming to tablets and phones apps.

Either you rent or buy their box or use their app for internet streaming. Both will require a cable tv subscription. There is no way a deal with XBox One provides anymore value for the consumer. Ofcourse they're not going to say no if MS comes with a deal to split the rental costs and add it on top of the cable subscription. It won't replace the cable box though.

selnor1983 said:

Its only a matter of time before instead of a cable box, you can have an Xbox One with your Monthly subscription, with a deal or a monthly payment. This will happen. In fact this will be advertised to hell through the providers as well.

XBox One does not have tuners. XBox one does not have dvr capabilities.

Does that answer your silly post?

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
theprof00 said:
Wow selnor, you are the king of misleading headlines and false information.
Xbox one doesn't have a cable hookup, so it can't replace a box.
And as an app, why xbox1 specifically? The one advantage I see xb1 having is its tv functionality, but that works with pass-through, and wouldn't even function on the app level, so basically, you're saying that cable providers will choose x1 just because.

???

Internet connection anyone?

You can subscribe to Sky in the UK with no box, just a 360. And have live Sky. So dont understand what your point is?

The PS3 in UK never got SkyGo. 360 has had it for over 3 years. Its possible, but not a great marketing ploy. Xbox One has been designed as a media box. It has its own TV channels, Its own ( much better ) Guide ( Which is fully customisable and needs no controller. Anyone who uses this stuff daily will tell you PS4 has nothing even close to this.

It being on the PS4 doesnt add anything to the consumer buying it, other than a longer to navigate OS.

If it's an app, then it won't use any of the xb1's special features. Why are you acting like xb1 is contributing anything more than another box can? You keep saying it's a media box with guide, but then you say it will use streaming apps...the two are incompatible. Why do you keep saying this like it works?

It's like saying I can read my gmail through my instagram since it's on the same phone.

1. XB1 doesn't have dvr
2. Xbox guide does not work with apps
3. Xb1 would make cable service more expensive than competitors, (+22$/mo for two years [doesn't include live subscription needed to even access streaming lulz])
4. No coax port
5. Apps already exist on every other console
6. Cable companies already have their own hardware that they rent out and make lots of profit on.

This whole idea is laughable at best BUT...even if this happened, and even if it worked...it would only secure the idea that this isn't a game console anymore but a media box that plays games.

Hardcore gamers would definitely jump ship at that point.

What the worst thing about this thread prediction is, is that it's not even original. This was predicted 2 years ago, but that was before hardware was finalized. It was predicted that the nextbox would replace cable boxes and have contracts with every major cable company.
There was even a time that I myself thought that was it. Game over, xbox sells several hundred million confirmed. Then hardware was shown finalized and it was clear that it would NEVER replace a cable box.

This thread, rather than being a prediction, is just a prediction that an earlier made original prediction will still come to pass.

EDIT: no, wait...the absolutely WORST thing about this thread, is that the original predictor or this entire idea......is Michael Pachter.
That says a lot about this thread, I think.

They'll offer them next to cable boxes, to lure you into a contract just like with the 360

Time Warner Cable Offering Free Xbox 360 For Users Who Sign Up For Triple Play
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Time-Warner-Cable-Offering-Free-Xbox-360-121960