By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: TV Providers In US and UK will offer Xbox One by 2016 alongside Cable boxes.

Tagged games:

Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
theprof00 said:
1. XB1 doesn't have dvr
2. Xbox guide does not work with apps
3. Xb1 would make cable service more expensive than competitors, (+22$/mo for two years [doesn't include live subscription needed to even access streaming lulz])
4. No coax port
5. Apps already exist on every other console
6. Cable companies already have their own hardware that they rent out and make lots of profit on.

This is crazy. Does no PS fan know anything about Xbox One?

1. This can be added at anytime.

2. ???? I am already doing this with SkyDrive app, Machinima among others. I can see whats new in the guide. You have to customise the Guide to see the app. Its not rocket science.

3. Microsoft can do whatever deal they want

4. No need. Xbox 360 has been recieving Sky in the UK Live for over 3 years without needing a single Cable or box anywhere in the house.

5. Yes they do. But the 2 countries Im referring to have always had way more on Xbox. Already in the UK on Xbox One theres over 25 apps. Windows 8 Kernell baby.

6. Cable companies do not make their own hardware. They have companies do it for them and pay those companies. My Sky box is made by Amstrad others by PACE.

As you say 360 has been doing it for years and it was never offered as a cable box by SKY, and expect that exclusivity to be over, SKY will be putting there streaming apps on as many devices as possible from now on, they will not restrict themselves to a small userbase where they have to activley push someone elses hardware. 

Its not about that. Sony are very blatnatly not advertising that they are a media device. They are categorically playing the console gaming card.

Unlike the Xbox 360, from the word go Microsoft have been advertising the Xbox One as a versatile media box. Hell look at the adverts for Xbox One compared to PS4. Thers the really big Xbox One advert going at the moment which is extremely clever advertising the TV function. It takes the actual program your watching at the time, Says Xbox Go Home to reveal the Program playing in the Xbox Dashboard. Very clever advert.

Its already common knowledge with Virgin and Sky that Microsoft have got big things planned in the UK. Hell if your in the UK phone them and ask them. They are extremely enthusiastic about 2014 with Xbox One.

From the marketing point of view Free advertising through Microsoft with the amount of money Microsoft spend on advertising is an extremely good bonus. Ive yet to see 1 PS advert here. And have seen probably 30-40 Xbox adverts? Sony need to advertise more.

And I think if Sky were going to do PS they would have done PS3 in the last 3 years. Wouldnt they? Especially with the success of 360 and Sky.

There are plenty of PS adverts on TV at the moment in the UK, i see them every night.

Still you have no compelling reason why a TV company would try to replace there own TV box with someone elses. they will never do it instead of there own. A supplement like last gen is all it will ever be, and it will be on all devices.

1. They are not there own. THEY PAY FOR THEM. THEY ARE BUILT BY OUTSIDE COMPANIES LIKE XBOX ONE.

2. Im not saying do it instead, Im saying offer it as an option. It makes total sense. Streaming services are incredibly popular now. Offering full seasons of everything. Its only live TV they dont have. I know lots of people already who only use streaming services. It would be in the best interest for providers to give the option now, before its to late.

Having Sky through Xbox One, and everything else you get with Xbox One is a brilliant offer. It makes alot of sense to give the option alongside existing options.

Around the Network
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
theprof00 said:
1. XB1 doesn't have dvr
3. Xb1 would make cable service more expensive than competitors, (+22$/mo for two years [doesn't include live subscription needed to even access streaming lulz])
4. No coax port
6. Cable companies already have their own hardware that they rent out and make lots of profit on.

2. ???? I am already doing this with SkyDrive app, Machinima among others. I can see whats new in the guide. You have to customise the Guide to see the app. Its not rocket science.

4. No need. Xbox 360 has been recieving Sky in the UK Live for over 3 years without needing a single Cable or box anywhere in the house.

5. Yes they do. But the 2 countries Im referring to have always had way more on Xbox. Already in the UK on Xbox One theres over 25 apps. Windows 8 Kernell baby.

6. Cable companies do not make their own hardware. They have companies do it for them and pay those companies. My Sky box is made by Amstrad others by PACE.

As you say 360 has been doing it for years and it was never offered as a cable box by SKY, and expect that exclusivity to be over, SKY will be putting there streaming apps on as many devices as possible from now on, they will not restrict themselves to a small userbase where they have to activley push someone elses hardware. 

Its not about that. Sony are very blatnatly not advertising that they are a media device. They are categorically playing the console gaming card.

Unlike the Xbox 360, from the word go Microsoft have been advertising the Xbox One as a versatile media box. Hell look at the adverts for Xbox One compared to PS4. Thers the really big Xbox One advert going at the moment which is extremely clever advertising the TV function. It takes the actual program your watching at the time, Says Xbox Go Home to reveal the Program playing in the Xbox Dashboard. Very clever advert.

Its already common knowledge with Virgin and Sky that Microsoft have got big things planned in the UK. Hell if your in the UK phone them and ask them. They are extremely enthusiastic about 2014 with Xbox One.

From the marketing point of view Free advertising through Microsoft with the amount of money Microsoft spend on advertising is an extremely good bonus. Ive yet to see 1 PS advert here. And have seen probably 30-40 Xbox adverts? Sony need to advertise more.

And I think if Sky were going to do PS they would have done PS3 in the last 3 years. Wouldnt they? Especially with the success of 360 and Sky.

There are plenty of PS adverts on TV at the moment in the UK, i see them every night.

Still you have no compelling reason why a TV company would try to replace there own TV box with someone elses. they will never do it instead of there own. A supplement like last gen is all it will ever be, and it will be on all devices.

1. They are not there own. THEY PAY FOR THEM. THEY ARE BUILT BY OUTSIDE COMPANIES LIKE XBOX ONE.

2. Im not saying do it instead, Im saying offer it as an option. It makes total sense. Streaming services are incredibly popular now. Offering full seasons of everything. Its only live TV they dont have. I know lots of people already who only use streaming services. It would be in the best interest for providers to give the option now, before its to late.

Having Sky through Xbox One, and everything else you get with Xbox One is a brilliant offer. It makes alot of sense to give the option alongside existing options.

Well you should probably read your thread title before moving those goal posts anymore. 

It cleary says "Instead of cable boxes"

If your now to the point where your saying Sky will offer an App to watch there content through a console, yeah of course that will happen its already happened. Its on about 5 or 6 other devices as well now. 

Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
theprof00 said:
1. XB1 doesn't have dvr
4. No coax port

Well you should probably read your thread title before moving those goal posts anymore. 

If your now to the point where your saying Sky will offer an App to watch there content through a console, yeah of course that will happen its already happened. Its on about 5 or 6 other devices as well now. 

LOL. It meant to say instead of 'just' Cable boxes. ROFL. I see the confusion now.

Also I mean physically offer the option of delivering an Xbox One and Sky provider setting it up like they do Sky Boxes. Not just an app. Virgin have something really big up their sleeve with Xbox One. Phone them now and ask. They are really excited.

selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
Xenostar said:
selnor1983 said:
theprof00 said:
1. XB1 doesn't have dvr
4. No coax port

LOL. It meant to say instead of 'just' Cable boxes. ROFL. I see the confusion now.

Also I mean physically offer the option of delivering an Xbox One and Sky provider setting it up like they do Sky Boxes. Not just an app. Virgin have something really big up their sleeve with Xbox One. Phone them now and ask. They are really excited.

oh yeah im sure sky and virgin will be doing stuff to make there services more compatible with xbox 1, allow recording from the EPG and stuff, 

But yeah imagine both will offer X1 as an extra purchase with your cable or sky box, but NEVER as a replacement.