By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Prediction: TV Providers In US and UK will offer Xbox One by 2016 alongside Cable boxes.

Tagged games:

I have been thinking really hard. In the US its pretty much guaranteed that Xbox One will have every cable providers apps on the system and be 100% intergrated with The One guide.

In the UK Sky and Virgin are launching apps also in 2014. As well as One Guide support to fully utilise the Xbox One as a media hub.

Its only a matter of time before instead of a cable box, you can have an Xbox One with your Monthly subscription, with a deal or a monthly payment. This will happen. In fact this will be advertised to hell through the providers as well.

I dont know about other EU countries etc, but I believe this will definately happen by 2016 in both US and UK. And that this will raise console sales to hieghts never before seen in these countries.

What do you guys think? After all its not a games machine, its a media device.

Around the Network

the providers provide there own box which will most likely be cheaper for them then signing a contract with MS.
MS make money from software sales that all these XO's won't have if they start getting picked up by grandad and average joe.
Internet TV will be even bigger by 2016 while these services shrink.

If MS could get a deal like that it would be good for the sake of numbers.. probably not profits though

"I have been thinking really hard. In the US its pretty much guaranteed that Xbox One will have every cable providers apps on the system and be 100% intergrated with The One guide."

..i don't think that is at all guaranteed.

also your header sounds like a new story when it isn't.. try 'What If...'

That is not obvious.

Comcast (largest cable provider) and others are actually creating their own super-smart cable boxes.

While they *may* have agreements with MS to allow the Xbone to pull in their internet based digital content, I seriously doubt very many will allow you to replace your entire cable box with an xbone. After all the rental charges on these boxes as well as the complete control the providers have over them is a stream of direct and potential income.

Around the Network

I work for Verizon and Verizon makes a profit on every $19.99 DVR/ $7.99 Set top box/ Monthly fee that our customers pay. In no way will Verizon give up that amount of monthly income over an App............ Its not happening.....Keep on Gaming

Just as digital TV contracts weren't expensive enough already! If this were to happen

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Can you change the title to make it clear that this is just made up and not real news?

superchunk said:
That is not obvious.

Comcast (largest cable provider) and others are actually creating their own super-smart cable boxes.

While they *may* have agreements with MS to allow the Xbone to pull in their internet based digital content, I seriously doubt very many will allow you to replace your entire cable box with an xbone. After all the rental charges on these boxes as well as the complete control the providers have over them is a stream of direct and potential income.

pretty much.

xbone doesn't have a coax in port so without redesign xbox can't replace a cable box.  at best,.. cable providers will start making applications (like the netflix app) that allows their customers to view their cable content from a purely internet provided input. an application that:

A) the cable provider will retain 100% control of.

B) will be on xbone,. and ps4, and roku, and chromecast, and blu ray players, and absolutely any box they can put their app on.

...at which time the HDMI in becomes sort of pointless.

The Sky Box software is so rubbish that I welcome this and anything like it.

Seriously replaced 4 boxes so far, they make you pay for the replacement, lost recorded programs or just failed to record them, one day made the TV itself go into a reset loop for no reason.