By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - IGN calls Vgchartz bull

VGC is bull really... It's just estimates until more solid numbers come but later and VGC gets adjusted accordingly.

If you go to a prediction site thinking it's solid evidence, you're going to have a bad time.

Around the Network

Doesn't matter we are still on the Halo 4 Game Box. We are FOREVER part of gaming history!

Master Chief luvs us, and that's all the luv we need.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

Doesn't matter we are still on the Halo 4 Game Box. We are FOREVER part of gaming history!

Looks like Freddie is in the MJOLNIR armor.

MC is Freddie Mercury confirmed, LOL.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

toadslayer72 said:
Zappykins said:

Looks like Freddie is in the MJOLNIR armor.

MC is Freddie Mercury confirmed, LOL.

You must be right!  The amazingly talented Freddie Mercury shurly is Master Chief!  They froze him to save him, and now he has returned to us.

I wonder what kind of goodies are in the basket?  My guess is some egg salad sandwiches.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

VGChartz numbers are estimates. Its not possible for it to be bull cause it doesnt claim to be 100% accurate.

People who say that just dislike the estimates cause it doesnt suit them.

Around the Network

IGN ?

Oh... you mean,.. that website that thinks they know something about videogames while publishing Tv and Cinema news as main headlines ? Whose so called "journalists" don´t know a sh*t about the videogame market environment ?

Forget them. I stopped reading IGN a long time ago

ethomaz said:
Grandia said:
IGN staff are really one of the last ones who should call some other popular gaming related things bull, they are among the worst, unreliable, biased, bought sources of gaming journalism ever.

VG chartz is always quite near the reality and they constantly update their estimations when official numbers appear. VG chartz is the best source for console sales figures available, there is simply nothing else similar, this is the reason why VG is still popular.

I disagree with the bold... VGC most times is far way from the reality but I agree with yout others points

Adjustments less than 100k after the trackers numbers is fine but we see more ~600k, ~400k, etc adjustments here that makes the numbers not even close to the reality.

Depends what that 600K represents as a % of total. If the total is 6 million and there's a 600K adjustment that's only a 10% error. Being within 90% of the actual figure is actually very good for an estimation, and one would say near the reality. Over the years I've looked at NPD vs VGC and my impression is that VGC is consistently within 10% of NPD, but occasionally it's off by up to 30%.

Typically with the LTDs when quarterly reports come out the VGC LTD is only a few % out. Sony announced 80 million PS3's shipped. VGC had them at 80.something  sold. That meant, factoring stock on shelves VGC's PS3 LTD was about 1.5 -2 million out. 2 million as a % of 80 million is 2.5%. That means VGC's LTD overestimate was still accurate to within 97.5%. Given for at least a year Sony hadn't provided specific PS3 shipment numbers I'd say VGC did a commendable job of estmating PS3's sold over that period.

Hardware MoE for VGC on a weekly numbers will be high, perhaps as much as 20% or  more if there is a particular bias in the data. MoE for yearly numbers will be much better, as long as the big 3 provide their quarterly shipments it will typically be within 10%. LTD, as long as shipments are reported, will be within 2-3% at least once a decent install baase has ben established.

Does it matter that for a given week VGC reports 100K sales but it was actually 80K? No. 80-120K in weekly sales is, depending on the time of year, good, or OK, or a bit low, or disasterously low. To judge a console's performance you only have to be confident that the reported number fits within a certain range. I reckon VGC will be within a 20K spread 90% of the time and it's be within a 40K spread 95% of the time on its weekly numbers. That is plenty accurate to give people a reliable steer on how hardware is doing.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Isn't vgchartz banned on neogaf

drake4 said:
Isn't vgchartz banned on neogaf

It is but not in IGN.

And the ban is not about the accuracy of the site... GAF is fine with estimates sites while they didn't claim to have real sales... VGC never claimed that... the issue was that the site creator here did span with VGC there (that's what I know).

People there uses VGC numbers for the Predicion League and it is fine.

Their CEO's name is Butts ... nuff said.