By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 just passed 10,000,000

Riot Of The Blood said:
SpartanFX said:

I don't understand ,,why isn't he changing it? ,,,what does he have against this ??

NPD data are as accurate as they get,even Microsoft and Sony have approved the numbers today

Vgchartz is a retail tracking service that is completely independent. This site has it's own retail samples, and they cover about 15% of the market (Note: I think I remember ioi saying that). That's enough data to make exteemly accurate estimates. Ioi does not copy & paste NPD's numbers, as that would defeat the purpose of this site. If there's a huge gap between VGchartz and NPD's numbers, ioi talks to the publishers and other companies themselfs. Depending on what they, ioi may or may not adjust the numbers. Ioi is not going to change his numbers due to another tracking service. He may, however, use them as tool for other things. Just think of it like this: does Famitsu adjust their numbers because of MediaCreate? No, it doesn't work that way. Both have their own retail samples and data to work with; the same is true with Vgchartz and NPD.

thanks for the explenation man,I understand what u r saying,,,it would be nice if he looks into this(as he did with uk chartz and the german chartz) ,see if he might have been off or something

Around the Network

From Microsoft

"According to Bell, the shortages will affect also the February sales of Xbox 360"

I hope VGChartz takes these words into account as well when adapting the January figures. Nomatter if you believe Microsoft's take on things (do note they always painted a rosey picture with regard to HD DVD as well), this does clearly indicate they expect low sales in North America for within the current month (February).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
From Microsoft

"According to Bell, the shortages will affect also the February sales of Xbox 360"

I hope VGChartz takes these words into account as well when adapting the January figures. Nomatter if you believe Microsft take on things, this does clearly indicate they expect low sales for North America within the current month.

When Microsoft says they expected PS3 to outsell 360 in NA for JAN ,I think this site should accept it aswell

Great news for Sony :D Now software and hardware sales are excelent to :D

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Why is the 360 supply constrained suddenly after 2.5 years? I don't get it, but it seems to be only in NA at any rate.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Why is the 360 supply constrained suddenly after 2.5 years? I don't get it, but it seems to be only in NA at any rate.
 Its probably just like back in 07 , when that Sony PR ( I dont remember wich one ) stated that every shops are sold-out of PS3s and he made even a bet . He lost it because almost every shop had one :P 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

yes, we should believe what ever companies say, companies never lie, they are very honest.

Mummelmann said:

Unsurprising, IMVHO. While Wii and PS3's sales are quite evenly spread across the world, 360's sales are more concentrated in NA, UK and Australia, add to this that warehouses were emptied by Christmas sales and must be refilled, that previous years' January sales were sluggish, that 360's sales from Halo 3 launch to Christmas were very good in NA as opposed to the rest of the world, but so good at Halo 3 launch that after it almost looked as a temporary partial saturation had been reached (as if a large share of potential buyers for the last Christmas season didn't expect Christmas) and the result is that it's quite likely that MS botched sales forecasts for this period and the unbalance towards NA of sales or potential ones could only exacerbate the problem.

Or perhaps Yahoo is so tempting that they are diverting funds to try to get it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Riot Of The Blood said:
I don't think ioi is going to change his data. We're going to have to wait 'till next week before the PS3 hit 10m.

He has changed it before.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I have defended VGChartz on many occasions at other forums, pointing out the website seems to learn from past mistakes and updates the figures when more accurate data is available.

The differences between the latest NPD data are just too big to be defended. I would suggest to adjust ASAP, it really hurts the creditability of the website.

When it comes to tracking North American console sales NPD >>> VGChartz, simple as that.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales