By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Xbox lose every advantage it had?

think-man said:

Yeah but you said "still has dat Titanfall" and I'm saying don't need a xbone for it so its not really an advantage to me. Making it relevant to your post, and thus relevant to this thread.

Still an advantage for Xbox One over the PS4, which is what this thread is about.

I mean, if you're harping on PC, where is your response to the OP where most of what he gave to PS4 could actually go to PC?

Around the Network

I think they have done considerably well considering all the negative press and media. MS has also supplied their territories better so far.

I hope ms and Nintendo get their ass kicked.......

Hoping this makes,

Microsoft start investing in first party games ...halo forza and fable aren't cutting it anymore!

Nintendo to start thinking outside the box and create new Ip 's.....make Zelda an open world game already shit!

LiquorandGunFun said:
I think they have done considerably well considering all the negative press and media. MS has also supplied their territories better so far.

U mean Microsoft has managed to out ship the demand, Sony has shipped more to all territories so far and are struggling more to meet the higher demand. 

Ironically, X1 has better games now and on the horizon.....

But they didn't get a year head start, multiplats aren't on their side, and they are more expensive.

The opposite was the trifecta that kept Sony in their place for years. So yes, they did loose their lead.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

This doesn't look good for the XBone on the long term. There is no doubt that the XBone will get some awesome games like Quantum Break, but I'm very skeptical on whether the XBone will continue to churn out good games for the next 5 years. Historically, Microsoft is infamous for abandoning its consoles partway through their lives. Sony, on the other hand, appears to be well prepared not just for 2014, but for the years after. We've yet to hear news on any of Sony's other 1st party studios such as Guerilla's new IP, Stig Asmussen's new game, Cory Balrog's new game, etc.

sales2099 said:
Ironically, X1 has better games now and on the horizon.....

But they didn't get a year head start, multiplats aren't on their side, and they are more expensive.

The opposite was the trifecta that kept Sony in their place for years. So yes, they did loose their lead.

It seems you are unaware of PS4 games coming on the horizon because it's the total opposite, XB1 has nothing to compete with all the games coming on PS4

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
d2wi said:
Yes, but Xbox One still has other advantages, Kinect is better than PS Eye, more multimedia features, better launch titles.

Sony with time will drown them in exclusives. I am sure Microsoft is prepared to pay for tons of exclusives and timed exclusives though.

Why not? Spending money worked wonders for Sony in the 5th and 6th generations, and MS in the 6th and 7th generation.

Sony spent money on GTA to be a timed exclusive. Eventually it went to Microsoft. Microsoft spent the first three years of the seventh gen keeping legions of games away from Sony. It was so bad it made Sony look like they had no games. When I had a 360 we used to make fun of my friends who had PS3's without games. Of course in 2006 I didn't know about moneyhatting at the time and I wasn't into marketing at the tiime. Sony didn't need to spend a dime to keep games away from Nintendo. Look up the history of Sony. Sony had advantages in the 5th generation because of format gave third parties more space to use and they had better third party relatioships. Not only that, third parties can take risk on being exclusively on  your cut of the markshare because you command the mass majority of the people. This is the same reason Nintendo doesnt need to pay every third party for being exclusive on the DS. Sega botched the launch of the Sega Saturn and turned third parties off making them jump ship to Sony during the fifth generation. By the time the sixth generation happened Sony had amassed so many partnerships all they had to do was lay back. Microsoft is no different. Microsoft made moneyhatting a huge thing during the seventh generation and Sony knew they couldn't fight back against that. The only major moneyhat Sony is known for against Microsoft was paying Rockstar fifty million dollars to keep the GTA away from Microsoft until the trilogy was finished. Even I said that was fucked up but what Microsoft did soon after was horrible.

J_Allard said:
think-man said:

Yeah but you said "still has dat Titanfall" and I'm saying don't need a xbone for it so its not really an advantage to me. Making it relevant to your post, and thus relevant to this thread.

Still an advantage for Xbox One over the PS4, which is what this thread is about.

I mean, if you're harping on PC, where is your response to the OP where most of what he gave to PS4 could actually go to PC?

Its only an advantage for the first two years. Titanfall is coming to the PS4 after the first one amasses its profit. Microsoft just wants Titanfalls name to be associated to it so they are just spending massive amounts of marketing dollars to make people believe thats the case right now. Zampella said Titanfall is coming, just not the first game. Essentially if you want the game now you buy a Xbox One. If you can wait until the second game and you like Sony exclusives better you can buy a PS4. Its as simple as that.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/30/titanfall-developer-will-make-ps4-games-possibly-even-titanfall-2/

S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:

Why not? Spending money worked wonders for Sony in the 5th and 6th generations, and MS in the 6th and 7th generation.

Sony spent money on GTA to be a timed exclusive. Eventually it went to Microsoft. Microsoft spent the first three years of the seventh gen keeping legions of games away from Sony. It was so bad it made Sony look like they had no games. When I had a 360 we used to make fun of my friends who had PS3's without games. Of course in 2006 I didn't know about moneyhatting at the time and I wasn't into marketing at the tiime. Sony didn't need to spend a dime to keep games away from Nintendo. Look up the history of Sony. Sony had advantages in the 5th generation because of format gave third parties more space to use and they had better third party relatioships. Not only that, third parties can take risk on being exclusively on  your cut of the markshare because you command the mass majority of the people. This is the same reason Nintendo doesnt need to pay every third party for being exclusive on the DS. Sega botched the launch of the Sega Saturn and turned third parties off making them jump ship to Sony during the fifth generation. By the time the sixth generation happened Sony had amassed so many partnerships all they had to do was lay back. Microsoft is no different. Microsoft made moneyhatting a huge thing during the seventh generation and Sony knew they couldn't fight back against that. The only major moneyhat Sony is known for against Microsoft was paying Rockstar fifty million dollars to keep the GTA away from Microsoft until the trilogy was finished. Even I said that was fucked up but what Microsoft did soon after was horrible.

That's a nice long post (exceot the part about your friends being idiots) but doesn't really change or disprove anything I said. Sony broke into the industry thanks to outspending Nintendo, be it with less royalty fees for 3rd parties, securing exclusive content, or by losing tons of cash on hardware. They continued all of these tactics into the PS2 era. In that same generation MS invested tons of money into Live and also ate losses on hardware. And in this last gen they again invested tons into XBL, ate losses on hardware, and even stole a page from Sony's playbook and paid for exclusive content. Of course, Sony lost tons of money on hardware last gen too, so they are very much still in the business of spending money to make money.

Difference is while you will try to explain away and make every excuse you can to make Sony engaging in these acts not only acceptable but at times downright inspiring while at the same time trying to portray MS doing it as just 'murican greed, I accept that they both do it and don't really give a crap.