By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and ONE. The wisdom of 33 countries versus 13.

Tagged games:

Which was wisest?

13 101 18.53%

33 305 55.96%

Somethign else 36 6.61%

See results 103 18.90%

Total:545

Well, in theory I agree, but the final results are: PS4 have 10 million consoles sold and Xbox One have 5 million.
Also, launch aside, it seems the PS4 is ahead the One in almost every week, and by a large margin. So, the PS4 strategy seems pretty nice.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
thismeintiel said:
Captain_Tom said:
This is a funny flashback post. What the OP didn't realize is that focusing on too few territories at once can over-saturate markets. That is exactly what happened, and one of the reasons that the Xbox Ones sales dropped off a cliff. However Sony created a situation in MORE territories where people were climbing over each other to the consoles due to insanely high demand.

Well, the One's problem wasn't excess supply.  It was low demand after the initial few weeks.  What MS should have done was take all those unsold XBO's in EU and spread them out to other regions.  It would have helped their weekly sales a little, plus make it so they didn't have to announce they were slowing down production so retailers could sell the 100Ks of unsold XBOs.  That announcement made their situation look worse.

It was clearly both.

Nah.  Never has too much stock resulted in lower sales.  The only way that would have any affect is if there is a pallet of Ones sitting in a store for a month or more that haven't sold, which may tell people that that product is undesirable.  However, that wouldn't happen, as no store would keep said pallet out for more than a week or two.  Also, the lower demand would be the reason there would even be a pallet of Ones after a few weeks.  So, lower demand is the reason for lower sales, which therefore lead to many unsold Ones.

FATALITY said:
i give this thread a 95% out of 100%

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

binary solo said:
DonFerrari said:
binary solo said:
How do people even keep track of these threads to necro them?

Anyway the fundamental premise of this thread was wrong. MS didn't restrict itself to 13 markets at launch for supply issues or as a sales strategy. They were restricted because of language localisation issues with Kinect. They had no time to Getkinect ready for all languages in current 360 markets, and as Kinect used to be core to what Xb one was meant to be they had to phase in launch according to language readiness. There was no cunning strategy to out supply PS4 in the key US and UK markets, so there was no actual wisdom to analyse. The wisdom to judge is whether it was wise to make Kinect a core element of Xb one, and we all now know the answer to that question, which is a resounding NO!

How would kinect localization explain that the console was released in August but was Tier 2 in Chile? Or France/Italy/Germany Tier 1 but Belgium and Switzerland Tier 2?

And have all the countries that it released now worked perfectly? And how about dekinected?

Chile = dialectic variation perhaps?

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

Switzerland = dialectic variants of the 3 main languages maybe + Romansh(?)

Nope... altough there are variations in the Spanish or Castellaño in all latin america they are basically the same idiom (even more when is just basic commands), if you buy a movie subtitled there is just one Spanish option not 20-30... so they could release in whole America Continent with 3 languages (except French for Haiti and French Guiana, Dutch for Suriname).

Belgium, ok could be a reason.

Switzerland already explained that it wasn't...

And going by the link provided to you that you said Ireland and Austria would be english and pure german... it's saying Kinect wouldn't work there... and NZ altough not very big is a market that have a good marketshare on Xbox.

The real reason for tier 2 wasn't kinect localization nor small marketplace, but just Xbox not being strong against PS there... I remember seeing that Tier1 represented like 85%+ of X360 sales last gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Saeko said:
binary solo said:

Chile = dialectic variation perhaps?

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

Switzerland = dialectic variants of the 3 main languages maybe + Romansh(?)

i am from switzerland, french talk french, no dialectic variants, same with italian, german use a few dialectic but all talk true german too, and for romanch, this languages is just official history wise. nobody talk this anymore but very old ppl in small town..

BTW in Germany there are surely far more German dialects than in Switzerland, same for Italy and Italian and France and French, but obviously we all use a "standard" language, both taught at school, spoken by the majority of people except in the smallest villages and even those that mainly speak dialect use standard language for mutual comprehension with people from other places and obviously in official documents, and they listen to it in TV and at the cinemas. If XBOne had to run after dialects and variants it couldn't have launched early in any country larger than the Principality of Monaco. Heck, in my town, Genoa, the west outskirt dialect is even quite different from the eastern one.

On the dialect thing and differences in pronunciation US have a lot of variation in English, Brazil have more than 20 variations... and India have 100+ recognized dialects (have them all been made available for launch?)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
AZWification said:

What an amusing necrobump we've got here.

Strange enough the necrombuped haven't commented or defended his point, altough being quite active on the Sony 2B loss thread. Mistery.

joeorc said:
Exile1987 said:
kowenicki said:

But thats not the case is it... they are out there.  People here keep telling me they are in stock.

Perhaps they are in stock more?  Perhaps they are selig tnat stock through better?  The numbers here (I know, I know) suggest exactly that.

When have you ever listened to other people 😉

I really do believe the amount of people switching purchases in the major markets is minimal at best. Both are selling out relatively quickly. As you say come back in 12 months and let's see 😊

sorry for multiple posts bloody iPhone and vg chartz....

Also Has Microsoft ramped up production of xboxones? This is also a point,  is the xboxone increase demand enough for microsoft having to increase the production level for the xboxone?

Is the current Stock level out there enough? To cover the demand? It would seem that there is no real increases needed, not with current production template / month enough to cover the demand? I would say Yes there covered enough and we last seen Microsoft has had to reduce production monthly template numbers, not ramp up the template numbers.

And besides December Sony have won all NPD even in USA... so I believe consumers when seeing no PS4 but a X1 available during that time preffered to keep the money in their wallets and keep searching.

FATALITY said:
i give this thread a 95% out of 100%

Well I don't think 95% is quite the accurate significance if you know what I mean... but certainly an imprecive number to toss aroung =]

DonFerrari said:
AZWification said:

Strange enough the necrombuped haven't commented or defended his point, altough being quite active on the Sony 2B loss thread. Mistery.

Sometimes I have the feeling that someone wishes Sony failure in this market not for hate, but just because a company in such a bad economic situation easily defeating MS prevents them from cherishing the easy illusion that money is almighty. It's like if they think that siding with MS and accepting and helping it establishing a monopoly and a sort of benevolent dictatorship, for some strange transitive property richness would be transferred to them too and it would solve every problem of theirs.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
DonFerrari said:
AZWification said:

Sometimes I have the feeling that someone wishes Sony failure in this market not for hate, but just because a company in such a bad economic situation easily defeating MS prevents them from cherishing the easy illusion that money is almighty. It's like if they think that siding with MS and accepting and helping it establishing a monopoly and a sort of benevolent dictatorship, for some strange transitive property richness would be transferred to them too and it would solve every problem of theirs.

Actually I think that seeing a company going under beating MS so soundly is bad for them, because if almighty and rich MS was bullying Sony they could say they failed in life because they weren't born milionaire... but when poor Sony or small Ninty does a lot better than rich MS it takes out that moneys buy success and nothing else matters excuse.

Besides they jizzing all over themselves thinking of MS money and success as theirselve.

Hmm this was one bad prediction/opinion.  

ps

imagine the fun if you could search peoples threads like on other forums.