By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and ONE. The wisdom of 33 countries versus 13.

Tagged games:

Which was wisest?

13 101 18.53%

33 305 55.96%

Somethign else 36 6.61%

See results 103 18.90%

Total:545

y it didnt work for ms , sony made the right move . spread thin is good for in demand .

Around the Network

How do people even keep track of these threads to necro them?

Anyway the fundamental premise of this thread was wrong. MS didn't restrict itself to 13 markets at launch for supply issues or as a sales strategy. They were restricted because of language localisation issues with Kinect. They had no time to Getkinect ready for all languages in current 360 markets, and as Kinect used to be core to what Xb one was meant to be they had to phase in launch according to language readiness. There was no cunning strategy to out supply PS4 in the key US and UK markets, so there was no actual wisdom to analyse. The wisdom to judge is whether it was wise to make Kinect a core element of Xb one, and we all now know the answer to that question, which is a resounding NO!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I just want to say that this assumption that the X1 isnt in other markets despite not officially released is questionable at best. It wasnt officially released here until recently, but if i wanted one, several shops had it on sale.

I dont agree in principle with the proposition. I think Sony is doing the right thing by not ignoring their customers worldwide, not giving the competitors wiggle room on those markets. All the markets the X1 didnt launch in last years were lost with no chance of return, even if the 360 performed decently.

binary solo said:

Anyway the fundamental premise of this thread was wrong. MS didn't restrict itself to 13 markets at launch for supply issues or as a sales strategy. They were restricted because of language localisation issues with Kinect. They had no time to Getkinect ready for all languages in current 360 markets, and as Kinect used to be core to what Xb one was meant to be they had to phase in launch according to language readiness. There was no cunning strategy to out supply PS4 in the key US and UK markets, so there was no actual wisdom to analyse. The wisdom to judge is whether it was wise to make Kinect a core element of Xb one, and we all now know the answer to that question, which is a resounding NO!

How would kinect localization explain that the console was released in August but was Tier 2 in Chile? Or France/Italy/Germany Tier 1 but Belgium and Switzerland Tier 2?

And have all the countries that it released now worked perfectly? And how about dekinected?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lol great necro. First it was "95% of the reason PS4 is winning is price" and now "Sony made a bad move releasing PS4 in 33 countries at launch versus X1's 13 ". Now let's see if someone can come up with the hat trick!

Around the Network
Raven722 said:
Lol great necro. First it was "95% of the reason PS4 is winning is price" and now "Sony made a bad move releasing PS4 in 33 countries at launch versus X1's 13 ". Now let's see if someone can come up with the hat trick!

I'm sure someone will think about it... quite possible Kinect will never be debundled.

But right now I can only remember of Halo:MCC + Sunset Overdrive + Quantum Break / China... owwww there is Directx, DGPU and Cloud.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Just you wait for China, you necrohooligans!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

thismeintiel said:
Captain_Tom said:
This is a funny flashback post. What the OP didn't realize is that focusing on too few territories at once can over-saturate markets. That is exactly what happened, and one of the reasons that the Xbox Ones sales dropped off a cliff. However Sony created a situation in MORE territories where people were climbing over each other to the consoles due to insanely high demand.

Well, the One's problem wasn't excess supply.  It was low demand after the initial few weeks.  What MS should have done was take all those unsold XBO's in EU and spread them out to other regions.  It would have helped their weekly sales a little, plus make it so they didn't have to announce they were slowing down production so retailers could sell the 100Ks of unsold XBOs.  That announcement made their situation look worse.

It was clearly both.

DonFerrari said:
binary solo said:

How would kinect localization explain that the console was released in August but was Tier 2 in Chile? Or France/Italy/Germany Tier 1 but Belgium and Switzerland Tier 2?

And have all the countries that it released now worked perfectly? And how about dekinected?

Chile = dialectic variation perhaps?

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

Switzerland = dialectic variants of the 3 main languages maybe + Romansh(?)

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Chile = dialectic variation perhaps?

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

Switzerland = dialectic variants of the 3 main languages maybe + Romansh(?)

Kinect was an excuse not to release.

I mean, out of 13 Tier 1 countries, voice recognition worked in only 10. By MS's own admission, it didn't work in Ireland, New Zealand and Austria, yet it didn't bump those countries to T2.

"“Voice commands are currently available in 10 of the 13 original launch markets including: US, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia, Canada, Mexico and Brazil,” Microsoft told Game Informer. “We’re working hard to bring voice functionality to additional markets, but have no other details to share at this time.”   

"Of those ten countries, only five (United States, UK, France, Germany, and Canada) have access to what Microsoft calls "premium/natural voice" and the "Xbox On" command. "

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/04/xbox-one-kinect-missing-voice-commands-five-months-after-launch