By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and ONE. The wisdom of 33 countries versus 13.

Tagged games:

Which was wisest?

13 101 18.53%

33 305 55.96%

Somethign else 36 6.61%

See results 103 18.90%

Total:545
Burek said:
binary solo said:

Chile = dialectic variation perhaps?

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

Switzerland = dialectic variants of the 3 main languages maybe + Romansh(?)

Kinect was an excuse not to release.

I mean, out of 13 Tier 1 countries, voice recognition worked in only 10. By MS's own admission, it didn't work in Ireland, New Zealand and Austria, yet it didn't bump those countries to T2.

"“Voice commands are currently available in 10 of the 13 original launch markets including: US, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia, Canada, Mexico and Brazil,” Microsoft told Game Informer. “We’re working hard to bring voice functionality to additional markets, but have no other details to share at this time.”   

"Of those ten countries, only five (United States, UK, France, Germany, and Canada) have access to what Microsoft calls "premium/natural voice" and the "Xbox On" command. "

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/04/xbox-one-kinect-missing-voice-commands-five-months-after-launch

NZ, Ireland and Austria are no-brainers even without Kinect voice functionality. In the case of NZ and Ireland there is no language localisation necessary, for either Kinect or for in-game VA / subtitles, manuals etc. It's all English, so to not release in those countries would be just stupid. And Austria, likewise is monolingual German, and right next door to Germany so it would also be idiotic for it not to be Tier 1.

There is no way NZ is actually a tier 1 country in terms of sales and revenue. Though we probably have a better per-capita gaming market than many tier 2s. We just get to play with the big boys because we speak the same lingo. Because there is no language barrier for the native Xbox language, and we're next to to a legit Tier 1 country (Aussie), which also speaks English, we get to coat tail on this sort of stuff.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:

Belgium = Dutch, the richest bit of Belgium and the majority language by a considerable margin, can you imagine the gall of being told to use your Kinect in German of French for a Dutch-speaking Belgian?

i am from switzerland, french talk french, no dialectic variants, same with italian, german use a few dialectic but all talk true german too, and for romanch, this languages is just official history wise. nobody talk this anymore but very old ppl in small town..

It makes perfect sense

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

welp, i guess you were wrong kowen.

Always a way to find the silver lining in a delayed launch, basically xbone just had to release in its "major selling countries" because it was not ready for this gen, sony forced them to launch early

This whole building up stock is pure bull, xbox just have plenty left of from the Japan launch

Around the Network
Saeko said:
binary solo said:

i am from switzerland, french talk french, no dialectic variants, same with italian, german use a few dialectic but all talk true german too, and for romanch, this languages is just official history wise. nobody talk this anymore but very old ppl in small town..

BTW in Germany there are surely far more German dialects than in Switzerland, same for Italy and Italian and France and French, but obviously we all use a "standard" language, both taught at school, spoken by the majority of people except in the smallest villages and even those that mainly speak dialect use standard language for mutual comprehension with people from other places and obviously in official documents, and they listen to it in TV and at the cinemas. If XBOne had to run after dialects and variants it couldn't have launched early in any country larger than the Principality of Monaco. Heck, in my town, Genoa, the west outskirt dialect is even quite different from the eastern one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

What an amusing necrobump we've got here.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

i give this thread a 95% out of 100%

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

FATALITY said:
i give this thread a 95% out of 100%

I see what you did there

Exile1987 said:
kowenicki said:
Exile1987 said:
kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
your argument would have a lot more merit if xbone was actually outselling ps4 in US/UK LTD. as it stands ps4 is outselling xbone in all markets both have released in except australia i believe AND obviously wining the 20 markets that xbone isn't released in too.

an extra 20k this holiday to US won't, imo, change much for how things play out in the US. that number is, frankly, too small relative to US sales volume. but 20k to denmark or poland basically secures that market for sony. MS will be so far behind it will be hard to compete because, imo, the best distinguisher of a console is the answer to "which console do all my friends have?".

so the real answer is,.. sony should have manufactured more. :P

20k was an example.  it could be 200k or 400k by January.

those smaller, sometimes poorer, markets you speak of are already secured for Sony... thats not going to change.

see the bolded in my post to ethomaz above.  I am struggling to see why people cant see that this is a very simple point I am making.  A potential sale lost to a competitor due to supply.  Thats possible and likely in these circumstances.  We had an example (two actually) the other day of a poster here saying exactly that... a know sony fan at that.

It all becomes completely irrelevant as the Xbox is completely sold out, so when people can't find a ps4 they can't find an Xbox either.

But thats not the case is it... they are out there.  People here keep telling me they are in stock.

Perhaps they are in stock more?  Perhaps they are selig tnat stock through better?  The numbers here (I know, I know) suggest exactly that.

When have you ever listened to other people 😉

I really do believe the amount of people switching purchases in the major markets is minimal at best. Both are selling out relatively quickly. As you say come back in 12 months and let's see 😊

sorry for multiple posts bloody iPhone and vg chartz....

Also Has Microsoft ramped up production of xboxones? This is also a point,  is the xboxone increase demand enough for microsoft having to increase the production level for the xboxone?

Is the current Stock level out there enough? To cover the demand? It would seem that there is no real increases needed, not with current production template / month enough to cover the demand? I would say Yes there covered enough and we last seen Microsoft has had to reduce production monthly template numbers, not ramp up the template numbers.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.