By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Sells Only Over 48k IN Japan!? Dooomed :-)

Cannoly said:
I think we should start with something new: VitaTV is dooomed CONFIRMED....

That thing is beyond dead it only did 5K better than PSP GO which was a huge failure, Vita has a chance and WiiU has a very good chance at making a comeback while Vita TV has no future

bet with ash3336 he wins if Super Mario 3D World sells less than Mario Sunshine during the first three years, I win if 3D World outsells Sunshine's first 3 years. Loser get sig controlled for 3 months (punishment might change)

Do you doubt the WiiU? Do you believe that it won't match the GC?

Then come and accept this bet

Nintendo eShop USA sales ranking 2/12/2013 : http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=173615

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Train wreck said:
Viper1 said:

Context.  It'a all about the context.

The region is Japan where home consoles do not sell 50k every week.  Not even the Wii did that very often.

The 48k is significant because just 5 weeks ago the Wii U was selling 3k per week.

Context.

Yes Viper1, context.

The Wii U was selling 3k per week (which it really wasn't, pure exaggeration on your part, the 3k was just before the launch of bundles) when:

the calendar was different, consoles tend to sell higher during this part of the year, even in japan.

there was no bundle where Nintendo was essentially giving away 100$ worth of product that wouldnt have been able to sell on it own

and the release of one of its most anticipated games (and also a update to a popular franchise).  

So yes threads like these are worthless in that they give no real context about the Wii U future, just cherry picking a good week (with pretty much all stars aligned).

Prior to bundle release:
1 week - 2806
2 weeks - 3061
3 weeks - 3354
4 weeks - 3888
5 weeks - 5748
6 weeks - 5503
7 weeks - 4845
8 weeks - 5411

3k really isn't much of an exaggeration when for 8 weeks prior to the bundle it averaged just 4327 per week.  The difference between 3k and 4327 is rather negliable.

Indeed they do sell better this time of year in Japan.  So why is it that the Wii U is seeing a jump from the 4k range to 10 times as much when no other console (home or portable) is?  Normal holiday increases would have put the console maybe into the 20k range.   And even that's pushing it.   Compared to 8 weeks ago, most devices are actually down and the increase for the 3DS and Vita are much smaller than the Wii U is seeing.

Most anticipated game is also a game many of you are calling a massive flop.  Hardly a system seller.  And the update is to another game that was called by many a complete and total flop.  So are they flops or are they successes?  Don't say it's one of the other only when it's convenient for your debate.

So is it getting a holiday and game and bundle boost?  Certainly is.  Is it noteworthy that they are being effective?  Yes.  It damn sure is because it's precisely what the console needed to move out of the doom and into the "Hey, it's actually doing OK" range.  Why shouldn't we be allowed to celebrate such matters?

And if you're going to rip on Nintendo fans for a thread like this, you better be first in line to downplay all other sales threads when a similar set of circumstances is at play.

Seece said:
It's STILL not great, just great compared to past WiiU sales.

Which is precisely what this thread was all about.

But no, we can't even have a Wii U is doing better than it has in the past thread without people doing all they can to make it look bad so they can feel better.

Woud you rather the thread be about denial? Like seriously if the WiiU was 500 units next week and had a 100% increase to 1000, would you really just want a thread of "OMG 100% INCREASE, IWATA!!!!!"

No.

How does sayign the sales aren't good make me "feel better" I don't mind if you Nintendo guys wanna celebrate this, have at it! Don't get stroppy when people come in and state the obvious tho.

Seece said:

It actually is in line or much better than the top selling home console in Japan in the comparative week for the last two years, so I'd say it's the home console market that isn't great in Japan.

December 9th 2012 - 37,269 (PS3)

December 11th 2011 - 46,073 (PS3)

It's when you compare it to the height on the Wii's sales that the comparison gets less flattering

December 12th 2010 - 78,389 (Wii)

December 6th 2009 - 104,193 (Wii)

December 7th 2008 - 55,405 (Wii)

Signature goes here!

That's actually a good week... idk how you can make this a doom thread unless you're just trolling.

Seece said:

Woud you rather the thread be about denial? Like seriously if the WiiU was 500 units next week and had a 100% increase to 1000, would you really just want a thread of "OMG 100% INCREASE, IWATA!!!!!"

No.

How does sayign the sales aren't good make me "feel better" I don't mind if you Nintendo guys wanna celebrate this, have at it! Don't get stroppy when people come in and state the obvious tho.

No, a simple 1000% increase thread (incidently this was about a 1000% over 8 weeks ago) by itself means nothing just as you stated.  However, the Wii U was not expected to see sales of almost 50K given how sales were just 8 weeks ago.   THAT is why it's worthy of note.   Given the bundles and games, it should be doing this weel and it is which is why it's worthy of note.  That means it's working.   For the first time since the damn thing launched, something is going according to plan.  That's worthy of note.

No, you posted correctly about the purpose of this thread (Wii U doing better than it had in the past) and my "feels better" statement was targeted at others who bumrushed this thread to tear it down.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Seece said:

It actually is in line or much better than the top selling home console in Japan in the comparative week for the last two years, so I'd say it's the home console market that isn't great in Japan.

It's when you compare it to the height on the Wii's sales that the comparison gets less flattering

Sure, paint it however you like, I agree the Japanese are done with home consoles (I think PS4 will do 8m+ though).

If the WiiU gets over 100k a week in Japan at any point this month then I'll call that a success, but when Wii was doing double 48k in Japan in the summer months, you know?

Agreed with Viper1's posts. It's notable because Nintendo are actually generating some momentum for Wii U and the situation has improved from "disaster" to "ok". We'll know tomorrow if the situation is improving in North America, and I think we can accept that in Europe, particularly the UK, Wii U will essentially be non-competitive.

Given that Wii U is currently tracking to be Nintendo's worst performing home console, I think any sustained improvement or change in sales is worth looking at. Nintendo have taken action, and in Japan at least, it's beginning to work. It's equally worthy talking about what action they need to take, have failed to take, and what they should do if or when their bundles, price cut and software doesn't invigorate certain markets. It was noteworthy that 3D World failed to perform in the UK, and we had plenty of threads about that. I see no reason why there shouldn't be a thread looking at this improvement for Wii U in Japan.

Seece said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Sure, paint it however you like, I agree the Japanese are done with home consoles (I think PS4 will do 8m+ though).

If the WiiU gets over 100k a week in Japan at any point this month then I'll call that a success, but when Wii was doing double 48k in Japan in the summer months, you know?

Why are you setting the bar so high for success? The real test is if it manages to maintain its numbers around the 50k mark for the remainder of the year. That would make the Wii U as successful as PS3 was last year.

Signature goes here!

BuckStud said:
DerNebel said:

It's one week, it doesn't mean anything in the long run, it's not worth a thread.

While I agree to some point, if it had sold 5,000, someone like you would have made a thread about that.

Someone like me?  What's that supposed to mean? And I would have not btw.

Seece said:

It's not that we are calling it a success now but rather we are saying it's no longer sitting squarely at the corner of Doom St and Gloom Ave.   Nintendo took action in Japan and it's working.  Are we not allowed to discuss this?  Would we prefer it go over 100k?  Certainly but we should also applaud any movement in the right direction and going from the 3k to 5k range to 10 times that much is certainly a move in the right direction.

I'd rather see 1 of these threads every few months than the dozens of doom threads we were seeing every day.  I would like to think I'm not alone in that sentiment.

The rEVOLution is not being televised