By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo's software can no longer carry their home consoles...

weather they like it or not, Nintendo needs a achievement system. A lot of people are addicted to achievements. Yes its nothing but a recognition of what you have done, But thats the point. Games get played way more with achievements. It gives more value for your dollar.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Zod95 said:
DanneSandin said:

To truly understand the quality of a consoles game library, we also need to know how many games were made and released on it. Sahing that PS2 had 100 1m sellers isnt saying much if 1000 games were released on the system, where as the Wii had 80 1m sellers but only 500 games in total for the system. Then it becomes quite apparent that the Wii indeed did have better quality. ;)

I still believe that the total software sales of each platform lead us to a more accurate conclusion than a more restrictive criteria. And I tell you why. Seeing the number that aggregates everything (games that sold well, medium and poorly) allow us to see the big picture and not ignoring any game. After all, all games have merit (even when it's low, it's something there), and if the sales are equally low then the criteria is fine. Limiting the games by a number (for example, 1M units sold) makes all the 0.99M, all the 0.98M (...and so forth) to count nothing. That's unfair. On the other hand, games that sold 10M will count as much as the ones that sold 1M. Again, that's unfair. Same thing for a 20M criteria (or any other of this kind).

Therefore, your focus on the ratio between number of million sellers and total number of games makes even less sense to me. But even if we engage into that logic, the Wii wouldn't be the best console. Your numbers need to be revised. Here are the VG Chartz numbers:

PS2: 325 million sellers out of 3544 games (9.2%) - 1661.95M games sold

Wii: 146 million sellers out of 2745 games (5.3%) - 908.08M games sold

As you can see, the PS2 has more games, more million sellers, higher ratio and even more total games sold (this would be my criteria).

Oh I wasnt actually being serious about that whole thing. I simply thought fatso was being silly when he said sales=quality, so I was just having fun with him :)

That's ok, I also think sales are not a good criteria to assess quality. But you shouldn't engage so seriously into that logic if you don't agree with it. And, most importantly, you shouldn't use wrong numbers to take wrong conclusions (even if you don't agree with the logic underneath and ultimately your conclusions are right in your opinion) because people won't understand you're being sarcastic. You should rather exploit the criteria (to assess quality by sales) and show how wrong it is.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M