By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo's software can no longer carry their home consoles...

Soundwave said:
fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

lol, at fatslob and his "what's popular is always the highest quality" schtick.

Wii Fit isn't even one of the 50 best Nintendo games ever.

The general public are dumb as sh*t half the time they don't know what they want. 

@Bold Well that made me lose some brain cells. 

Going by your theory then, Angry Birds is the highest quality game ever made, and based on volume of sales, the cell phone market is creating the highest quality content. Right? *crickets*

For what it's worth (Which is $0.) then yeah. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Soundwave said:

The general public are dumb as sh*t half the time they don't know what they want. 

Going by your theory then, Angry Birds is the highest quality game ever made, and based on volume of sales, the cell phone market is creating the highest quality content. Right? *crickets*

Yes or no, the top selling games are always the highest quality games? Waiting for an answer. 

Soundwave said:
Soundwave said:
Soundwave said:

Yes or no, the top selling games are always the highest quality games? Waiting for an answer. 

The top selling games are pretty high quality so yeah for the most part. 

I think with the 64, games were only "new" because they had to make the transition to a 3D environment. The Wii series, which was only last gen, changed the way the gaming environment was percieved by non gamers. As much as gamers loath those titles, they were a very important part of gaming history. As for the Wii U? I would see Nintendo Land and Reto Mix as a half new IPs. It's basically what Nintendo desires the Wii U to be, the bridging of retro core gaming and casual Wii era gaming. I strongly believe that the Wii U will eventually add new franchises as they try to push and reinvent and prove their relevance to the gaming masses. Unfortunately because the Wii wasn't HD Nintendo is still having teething issues with HD related graphics, stuff that third parties had already nailed by  the middle of last gen on other consoles and most people take for granted. So I am only really expecting Nintendo's truly interesting AAA titles to start emerging by the end of 2014 beginning of 2015. Until then Nintendo will stick with tried and true formulas that they know they can do well, and they know will sell to the masses (Mario, Smash + Kart).

Also, unlike previous gens, Nintendo is really starting to open up to the idea of crossovers with their franchises. This will see beloved Nintendo Characters in new environments and experiences that we aren't used to seeing them in. Whether this works in or against Nintendo's favour remains to be seen.

DanneSandin said:
Soleron said:
DanneSandin said:
osed125 said:
DanneSandin said:
If this were true, then Fifa, Madden, NHL, Halo and God of War and Grand Turismo wouldn't sell consoles either. But clearly, they do.

Totally different because....because...I can't think of anything.

Well, if you think really, really hard you can come up with SOMETHING? Let's put BOTH our heads to good use and try to solve this conundrum!

Easy.

Those games still do the jobs consumers ask of them (be a football game, be a multiplayer shooter, be a realistic racer)

Newer Nintendo games don't do the jobs people want from them any more.

Do you understand the context here? According to the captain Nintendo games dont innovate or dont have (enough) new and fresh ideas any mpre, and thats why they dont sell any more. If that was true most sports games wouldnt push console sales,  but they do.

OMG you are in full on "Nintendo Defense Mode!" aren't you?  You really don't get what I am saying.   I am NOT saying that Nintendo's games aren't good anymore.  I am saying that Nintendo's games are not good enough to make up for their exceedingly sub par hardware anymore.  Calm down...

Around the Network
TanukiTrooper said:

I think with the 64, games were only "new" because they had to make the transition to a 3D environment. The Wii series, which was only last gen, changed the way the gaming environment was percieved by non gamers. As much as gamers loath those titles, they were a very important part of gaming history. As for the Wii U? I would see Nintendo Land and Reto Mix as a half new IPs. It's basically what Nintendo desires the Wii U to be, the bridging of retro core gaming and casual Wii era gaming. I strongly believe that the Wii U will eventually add new franchises as they try to push and reinvent and prove their relevance to the gaming masses. Unfortunately because the Wii wasn't HD Nintendo is still having teething issues with HD related graphics, stuff that third parties had already nailed by  the middle of last gen on other consoles and most people take for granted. So I am only really expecting Nintendo's truly interesting AAA titles to start emerging by the end of 2014 beginning of 2015. Until then Nintendo will stick with tried and true formulas that they know they can do well, and they know will sell to the masses (Mario, Smash + Kart).

Also, unlike previous gens, Nintendo is really starting to open up to the idea of crossovers with their franchises. This will see beloved Nintendo Characters in new environments and experiences that we aren't used to seeing them in. Whether this works in or against Nintendo's favour remains to be seen.

You know people have said before that Nintendo is having issues tansitioning to HD (Unlike from 2D to 3D).  That really might be it...

DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:

So basically Wii Fit > tlou and bioshock infinite?

Easy as that.

So the Wii might be the best console ever since it has the best selling games of all times? Well, that one and the DS. Both consoles have more games that sold more than 20m than the PS2, so in a sense Wii/DS> PS2. Yeah, try telling that to people ;)

I'm pretty sure that the quality of the console is determined by it's sales just as how the quality of the game is determined by it's own sales. Nice try though. 

Well, I think we have to look at the context of the systems as well. Quite obviously, GameCube and the original Xbox were push overs for the PS2, while Wii faced stiffer competitions in PS3 and X360 (them being HD consoles and all). And isn't a console judged by its games? Well, yes it is. We are all always saying that software pushes hardware, so software is what matters, and since Wii has the best selling games (collectivelly) it must therefore be the best console in history.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Zod95 said:
DanneSandin said:

So the Wii might be the best console ever since it has the best selling games of all times? Well, that one and the DS. Both consoles have more games that sold more than 20m than the PS2, so in a sense Wii/DS> PS2. Yeah, try telling that to people ;)

Not that I agree with the sales criteria to assess quality but why are you focusing on some titles when you could just compare software totals of both consoles?

Lol, I'm just trying to show how stupid his argument is =) I don't think Wii Fit>tlou, or Bioshock (although I think Wii>PS2, but not becuase it had better selling games)

Soundwave said:
Soundwave said:
Soundwave said:

Oh silly Soundwave, Angry Birds are F2P, so they don't count :D

Captain_Tom said:
DanneSandin said:
Soleron said:
DanneSandin said:
osed125 said:
DanneSandin said:
If this were true, then Fifa, Madden, NHL, Halo and God of War and Grand Turismo wouldn't sell consoles either. But clearly, they do.

Totally different because....because...I can't think of anything.

Well, if you think really, really hard you can come up with SOMETHING? Let's put BOTH our heads to good use and try to solve this conundrum!

Easy.

Those games still do the jobs consumers ask of them (be a football game, be a multiplayer shooter, be a realistic racer)

Newer Nintendo games don't do the jobs people want from them any more.

Do you understand the context here? According to the captain Nintendo games dont innovate or dont have (enough) new and fresh ideas any mpre, and thats why they dont sell any more. If that was true most sports games wouldnt push console sales,  but they do.

OMG you are in full on "Nintendo Defense Mode!" aren't you?  You really don't get what I am saying.   I am NOT saying that Nintendo's games aren't good anymore.  I am saying that Nintendo's games are not good enough to make up for their exceedingly sub par hardware anymore.  Calm down...

If that's true, then it's because of a poorly formulated OP. In your OP you quite clearly states, or at the very least hints at, that it's the lack of new IP and new ideas that's causing a drop in hardware for Nintendo, NOT that the games themselves aren't good enough any more. Moving goalposts again, I see.

I can agree with you that this past year haven't been Nintendo's finest; they've released way too few games for a new console, and many of them haven't been up to the quality needed to move Wii U's - but it's NOT because of the lack of new IP's/ideas. Nintendo has shown time and again that they can innovate themselves, AND the gaming media.

And speaking of innovation, I don't think you answered my response about innovation. Whether you like it or not, Wii and DS were innovative, more so to gaming than even the PS4/X1