By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo's software can no longer carry their home consoles...

fatslob-:O said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:

So basically Wii Fit > tlou and bioshock infinite?

Easy as that.

So the Wii might be the best console ever since it has the best selling games of all times? Well, that one and the DS. Both consoles have more games that sold more than 20m than the PS2, so in a sense Wii/DS> PS2. Yeah, try telling that to people ;)

I'm pretty sure that the quality of the console is determined by it's sales just as how the quality of the game is determined by it's own sales. Nice try though. 

Well, I think we have to look at the context of the systems as well. Quite obviously, GameCube and the original Xbox were push overs for the PS2, while Wii faced stiffer competitions in PS3 and X360 (them being HD consoles and all). And isn't a console judged by its games? Well, yes it is. We are all always saying that software pushes hardware, so software is what matters, and since Wii has the best selling games (collectivelly) it must therefore be the best console in history.

Games are judged by it's game, definitely I agree with that but a console is judged by it's games in TOTAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

The WII may have had the best games but the PS2 games in general presented a higher quality seeing as how it has more games that sold over 1+ million.

To truly understand the quality of a consoles game library, we also need to know how many games were made and released on it. Sahing that PS2 had 100 1m sellers isnt saying much if 1000 games were released on the system, where as the Wii had 80 1m sellers but only 500 games in total for the system. Then it becomes quite apparent that the Wii indeed did have better quality. ;)

It doesn't matter how many flops were released on a system. All that mattered was the amount of games that remained successful on it. Last time I remebered, the WII only had around 50 or so games that went over 1+ million. You sound extremely insecure about that last remark LOL. It sounds like denial to me that you don't acknowledge that one system had the better games on it. 

I actually dont acknowledge your argument to begin with, this is just me not giving a damn and having fun on your expense :)

Insecurity much ? LOL

Yeah sure whatever :) if you wanna live in a fantasy world and see things thats not there go ahead and do that :) I guess reality will be waiting for you whenever you wanna return

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:
DanneSandin said:

So basically Wii Fit > tlou and bioshock infinite?

Easy as that.

So the Wii might be the best console ever since it has the best selling games of all times? Well, that one and the DS. Both consoles have more games that sold more than 20m than the PS2, so in a sense Wii/DS> PS2. Yeah, try telling that to people ;)

I'm pretty sure that the quality of the console is determined by it's sales just as how the quality of the game is determined by it's own sales. Nice try though. 

Well, I think we have to look at the context of the systems as well. Quite obviously, GameCube and the original Xbox were push overs for the PS2, while Wii faced stiffer competitions in PS3 and X360 (them being HD consoles and all). And isn't a console judged by its games? Well, yes it is. We are all always saying that software pushes hardware, so software is what matters, and since Wii has the best selling games (collectivelly) it must therefore be the best console in history.

Games are judged by it's game, definitely I agree with that but a console is judged by it's games in TOTAL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

The WII may have had the best games but the PS2 games in general presented a higher quality seeing as how it has more games that sold over 1+ million.

To truly understand the quality of a consoles game library, we also need to know how many games were made and released on it. Sahing that PS2 had 100 1m sellers isnt saying much if 1000 games were released on the system, where as the Wii had 80 1m sellers but only 500 games in total for the system. Then it becomes quite apparent that the Wii indeed did have better quality. ;)

It doesn't matter how many flops were released on a system. All that mattered was the amount of games that remained successful on it. Last time I remebered, the WII only had around 50 or so games that went over 1+ million. You sound extremely insecure about that last remark LOL. It sounds like denial to me that you don't acknowledge that one system had the better games on it. 

I actually dont acknowledge your argument to begin with, this is just me not giving a damn and having fun on your expense :)

Insecurity much ? LOL

Just don't try.  Apparently if the Wii U doesn't do well his dad will die of cancer...

Oh lol, silly old captain :) 

Someone quoted me, but I have no idea who, when and why.

DanneSandin said:

Yeah sure whatever :) if you wanna live in a fantasy world and see things thats not there go ahead and do that :) I guess reality will be waiting for you whenever you wanna return

It sounds like your in neverland living in denial LMAO.

DanneSandin said:

No no no.  Denial?  No the rest of the world is just wrong.  It makes WAY more sense...

Around the Network
Hedra42 said:

The title of this thread is 'Why Nintendo's software can no longer carry their home consoles'.

You opened with: (Quote) SImply put, they have been innovating in the software department less and less every generation. (Unquote)

You backed this statement up with a list of IPs for each generation, based on rules you chose yourself: (Quote) To be on my list a game had to be 1) New or a complete evolution of a series, and 2) Highly praised.(Unquote) - This, you didn't reveal until about the 18th page of this thread, and led to people proving to the contrary. (W101 - completely new series, metacritic rating 78 being one example not included on your list).

So, you have cited the lack of new IP with each coming generation based on your own criteria as being the main reason why Nintendo's software can no longer carry their home consoles.

For the most part, people have disagreed with this, and the sales figures of tried and tested formulae such as  Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros. Wii etc. back them up. Nintendo's familiar franchises help sell home consoles. That's not to say that new IP can't sell hardware, it's just more difficult, because (as we've seen with Luigi's Mansion) it can take a while to catch on.

But we can see how new IP CAN sell a home console, as long as the new IP is relevant to that console's features. The success of the Wii and Wii Sports, Wii Fit and so on, demonstrating motion control show that. Those games were made for that console, and really did sell it, but the concept of the console and the message it was marketed with are also what sold those games.

Your argument is flawed from the start, and has been changing. It has gone from stating that the reason why the software can no longer carry the home console is because they've been innovating less and less with each generation, to stating that the reason is because (and I quote) "Nintendo's games are not good enough to make up for their exceedingly sub par hardware anymore."

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this thread. When the OP selects the criteria for the list himself, it basically renders the whole point asanine.

Sadly, this post seems to have gotten lost pretty easily in the fanboy bickering. It makes me dissapointed to think I share the same hobby as some posters here.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

The real answer to the thread title would be their handheld systems. Most people can't justify spending hundreds of extra dollars for similar games. Wii was the only exception because it differentiated itself with motion controls and the Wii___ games, but those have run their course, so now we're back to the norm.

DanneSandin said:

I still believe that the total software sales of each platform lead us to a more accurate conclusion than a more restrictive criteria. And I tell you why. Seeing the number that aggregates everything (games that sold well, medium and poorly) allow us to see the big picture and not ignoring any game. After all, all games have merit (even when it's low, it's something there), and if the sales are equally low then the criteria is fine. Limiting the games by a number (for example, 1M units sold) makes all the 0.99M, all the 0.98M (...and so forth) to count nothing. That's unfair. On the other hand, games that sold 10M will count as much as the ones that sold 1M. Again, that's unfair. Same thing for a 20M criteria (or any other of this kind).

Therefore, your focus on the ratio between number of million sellers and total number of games makes even less sense to me. But even if we engage into that logic, the Wii wouldn't be the best console. Your numbers need to be revised. Here are the VG Chartz numbers:

PS2: 325 million sellers out of 3544 games (9.2%) - 1661.95M games sold

Wii: 146 million sellers out of 2745 games (5.3%) - 908.08M games sold

As you can see, the PS2 has more games, more million sellers, higher ratio and even more total games sold (this would be my criteria).

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

DanneSandin said:

And what would I be denying exactly? It was you who thought I was insecure, which makes you the resident of lalaland - because I did not give you an insecure answer.

Zod95 said:
DanneSandin said:

I still believe that the total software sales of each platform lead us to a more accurate conclusion than a more restrictive criteria. And I tell you why. Seeing the number that aggregates everything (games that sold well, medium and poorly) allow us to see the big picture and not ignoring any game. After all, all games have merit (even when it's low, it's something there), and if the sales are equally low then the criteria is fine. Limiting the games by a number (for example, 1M units sold) makes all the 0.99M, all the 0.98M (...and so forth) to count nothing. That's unfair. On the other hand, games that sold 10M will count as much as the ones that sold 1M. Again, that's unfair. Same thing for a 20M criteria (or any other of this kind).

Therefore, your focus on the ratio between number of million sellers and total number of games makes even less sense to me. But even if we engage into that logic, the Wii wouldn't be the best console. Your numbers need to be revised. Here are the VG Chartz numbers:

PS2: 325 million sellers out of 3544 games (9.2%) - 1661.95M games sold

Wii: 146 million sellers out of 2745 games (5.3%) - 908.08M games sold

As you can see, the PS2 has more games, more million sellers, higher ratio and even more total games sold (this would be my criteria).

Oh I wasnt actually being serious about that whole thing. I simply thought fatso was being silly when he said sales=quality, so I was just having fun with him :)