By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else happy with 3D World commercial failure?

Lucas-Rio said:
osed125 said:
Someone is still mad. Did you eat you crow?

No, but Nintendo is eating its crow, looking at the sales and the rumored November sales of the Wii U.

Industrial accident is an understatement.

Sales =/= Quality lol

Its one of the best marios and to me the most fun due to the great co op in it. The game can rival the galaxies and there are people who think its better.

If you dont like it fine but seriously your missing out. You remind me of the people who looked at  LoZ WW and didn't even try it/want it cuz of the art style. We'll just like them your missing out!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

What does that have to do with the game? I hated the original unveil of the game thinking it was 3D Land 2, but I couldn't have been more wrong. 

It's one of the best Mario games ever made, easily on par with both Galaxy games. It's your loss if you have some preset notion of the game and refuse to play it.

After world 3 wraps up, the game ramps up to epic levels and just keeps elevating. 

The graphics are great (goodbye crappy SD resolution, you won't be missed), the soundtrack is top notch, the multiplayer even works great but the game is still awesome in 1-player too. The level design is impeccible. 

Any Mario fan who has a Wii U that doesn't play this game honestly deserves a slap upside the head. 

I understand that you like this game and it's fine.  I don't like this kind of platformers and I fear the 3D Mario platformers I like are going to disappear if this game is a success after 3D Land. That's why I am happy it isn't and I say than any other fans who loved Galaxy's games and Mario 64 and Sunshine as well should feel the same way.

The only Mario game that Mario 3D World doesn't call back on is Sunshine I think.

There are throwbacks to SMB, SMB2 USA, SMB3, Super Mario 64, and Mario Galaxy as far as I can tell as well as a certain Mario spin-off series too.

Lucas-Rio said:

To me, it's great to the game selling badly, because it mean Nintendo with stop with the 3D Land approach, the cat gimmick and the multiplayer based platformer and we give us back the Mario we love.

A new Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine may come to life now.

a 9% attach rate for an opening is nothing to scoff at, and certainly not a failure.  The low numbers for this game have more to do with install base than consumer interest.  Plus, this game, like every other nintendo game, will have crazy legs.  It will continue to sell well for a long time.  Even if the wii u never makes it past 10 million units sold, this game will still sell at least 2 million units.  

Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:
acdcste said:
Lucas-Rio said:
osed125 said:

No, but Nintendo is eating its crow, looking at the sales and the rumored November sales of the Wii U.

What are you talking about? I can only assume in regards to the sales of mario 3d world that you are trolling at this point? 380k first week without europe around the time the xbox one and ps4 were releasing. Sales are fine.

Sub 100k start in Japan, bombed in UK, doing very average on VGchart while being probably overtracked... The game is not succeeding, as simple as that.

3D Land was a success and that's why we got this game. If this game continue to sell as bad as that, then Nintendo will probably stop the experiment and give me back the Mario I like. That's my only concern at this point.

Mario 3D World is the Mario "you like". It's very similar to the Galaxy games. The levels are a little tighter/shorter to mimic old school Mario, but many levels feel like they're straight out of a Galaxy game. I don't know if you want spoilers but there are many call backs to the Galaxy series in this game. 

I watched many videos, it isn't like Galaxy at all. It's all 3D Land with a little more scope. Same camera angles, same limited moves, same basic levels with less platforms.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:
acdcste said:
Lucas-Rio said:
osed125 said:

What are you talking about? I can only assume in regards to the sales of mario 3d world that you are trolling at this point? 380k first week without europe around the time the xbox one and ps4 were releasing. Sales are fine.

Sub 100k start in Japan, bombed in UK, doing very average on VGchart while being probably overtracked... The game is not succeeding, as simple as that.

3D Land was a success and that's why we got this game. If this game continue to sell as bad as that, then Nintendo will probably stop the experiment and give me back the Mario I like. That's my only concern at this point.

3d mario not as popular in japan, it will leg out and has already taken the wii u up to mid 20's for weekly sales the last two weeks. It has not bombed in the uk and i am tired of explaining why to you so im not going to repeat myself. How you can say after one week on sale that the game is not succeeding is a joke, simple as that, and you just make yourself look silly trying to convince others. Nintendo will give you the mario you like, most probably in 2015.

Lucas-Rio said:
Soundwave said:
Lucas-Rio said:
acdcste said:
Lucas-Rio said:
osed125 said:

Mario 3D World is the Mario "you like". It's very similar to the Galaxy games. The levels are a little tighter/shorter to mimic old school Mario, but many levels feel like they're straight out of a Galaxy game. I don't know if you want spoilers but there are many call backs to the Galaxy series in this game. 

I watched many videos, it isn't like Galaxy at all. It's all 3D Land with a little more scope. Same camera angles, same limited moves, same basic levels with less platforms.

There are plenty of levels later on in the game which are basically Galaxy style levels (there is a freaking Star World). Galaxy didn't allow for free roaming camera angles either. There were plenty of times where I went "this is just like a level from Galaxy". 

3D World is actually more a "real" Mario game than the Galaxy games. Galaxy while great, doesn't have much in common with previous Marios, Mario 3D World does a better job of taking the Galaxy formula and melding it with a more traditional Mario game. 

If you had put all the 3D Mario games in front of gamers before the N64 came out and asked them which one is the "most Mario", they would vote for this one IMO, no question. 

gergroy said:
Lucas-Rio said:

To me, it's great to the game selling badly, because it mean Nintendo with stop with the 3D Land approach, the cat gimmick and the multiplayer based platformer and we give us back the Mario we love.

a 9% attach rate for an opening is nothing to scoff at, and certainly not a failure.  The low numbers for this game have more to do with install base than consumer interest.  Plus, this game, like every other nintendo game, will have crazy legs.  It will continue to sell well for a long time.  Even if the wii u never makes it past 10 million units sold, this game will still sell at least 2 million units.  

The game giga flopped in Japan. We will see for NPD numbers in US but I don't think it will sell well. I expect NSMBU to easily outsell it. The worst about Mario 3D World numbers, it's that it did not seem to appear to move Wii U the slightlest while it was supposed to be the "Wii U killer app".

I swear Donkey Kong would have outsold it if it wasn't delayed.

Lucas-Rio said:
gergroy said:
Lucas-Rio said:

The game giga flopped in Japan. We will see for NPD numbers in US but I don't think it will sell well. I expect NSMBU to easily outsell it. The worst about Mario 3D World numbers, it's that it did not seem to appear to move Wii U the slightlest while it was supposed to be the "Wii U killer app".

Galaxy 3 is going to "bomb" on the Wii U too. 3D World would've sold 20+ million on the Wii. The hardware concept of the Wii U is a dud, that's the problem. The system has NSMBU already and that didn't do anything that was an obvious tip off. 

What's actually going to happen is you might end up getting Mario Galaxy 3 --- on 3DS. Cry yourself to sleep thinking about that, because 3D World is so gorgeous, it's a shame I think that Nintendo may opt to stick with the bigger 3DS userbase next time around. 

Lucas-Rio said:
gergroy said:
Lucas-Rio said:

It increased hardware in japan you just need to check the numbers. Why wouldnt nsmbu outsell it? 2d mario has always outsold 3d mario and always will so saying that like its a new thing with 3d world is wrong on your part. And lets come back to this thread when donkey kong first week numbers are ou.