By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else happy with 3D World commercial failure?

Soundwave said:

Galaxy 3 is going to "bomb" on the Wii U too. 3D World would've sold 20+ million on the Wii. The hardware concept of the Wii U is a dud, that's the problem. The system has NSMBU already and that didn't do anything that was an obvious tip off. 

What's actually going to happen is you might end up getting Mario Galaxy 3 --- on 3DS. Cry yourself to sleep thinking about that, because 3D World is so gorgeous, it's a shame I think that Nintendo may opt to stick with the bigger 3DS userbase next time around. 

Err, I'm not sure about that.

3D Land sold fantastic, but NSMB2 didn't. At least not compared to NSMB DS and it didn't create any momentum. Thankfully the XL model was there to save the day. NSMBU sold decently for a Wii U game but 3D World was similar and with only one year from the 2D option. With that point, if 3D World had sold 20+M, NSMBWii would have sold way less than actual numbers.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:

Galaxy 3 is going to "bomb" on the Wii U too. 3D World would've sold 20+ million on the Wii. The hardware concept of the Wii U is a dud, that's the problem. The system has NSMBU already and that didn't do anything that was an obvious tip off. 

What's actually going to happen is you might end up getting Mario Galaxy 3 --- on 3DS. Cry yourself to sleep thinking about that, because 3D World is so gorgeous, it's a shame I think that Nintendo may opt to stick with the bigger 3DS userbase next time around. 

3D Land sold fantastic, but NSMB2 don't. At least not compared to NSMB DS and it didn't any momentum. Thankfully the XL model was there to save the day. NSMBU sold decently for a Wii U game but 3D World was similar and with only one year from the 2D option.

NSMB2 still is going to trounce NSMBU sales. 

I'm worried that Nintendo may look at the numbers and come to the conclusion that the next 3D Mario should be for 3DS ... it's the bigger platform and probably means 2x the sales at minimum with a lower development cost. 

If the Wii U sputters I think Nintendo will quietly start making decisions like this behind the scenes. 

From a purely financial POV, Mario Galaxy 3 on 3DS probably sells 8-12 million copies, on Wii U, maybe 4-5 million. 

They'll give us a Wii U Zelda to placate us hardcore fans sure, but I think Nintendo wants those bigger (10+ million) sales out of their Mario games. 

It's kinda impossible to be happy with a fact that never happened.

Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:

3D Land sold fantastic, but NSMB2 didn't. At least not compared to NSMB DS and it didn't create any momentum. Thankfully the XL model was there to save the day. NSMBU sold decently for a Wii U game but 3D World was similar and with only one year from the 2D option. With that point, if 3D World had sold 20+M, NSMBWii would have sold way less than actual numbers.

Nsmb2 has a pretty high digital number according to nintendo, about 1.5m so we are undertracked in that sense here. 

Lucas-Rio said:

I did not like 3D Land and don't want Mario 3D to be as limited as a 2D game and based on multiplayer and simpliest design. I like Zelda Between World but would be pissed if Wii U Zelda was made the same way.

To me , this game should have been 3DS and we have been robbed of the true 3D Mario. That's why I like this game selling poorly. It can say "never do it anymore" to Nintendo. Galaxy's games sold great.

the game is not based on multiplayer and does not have simple design.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pavolink said:
Soundwave said:

3D Land sold fantastic, but NSMB2 don't. At least not compared to NSMB DS and it didn't any momentum. Thankfully the XL model was there to save the day. NSMBU sold decently for a Wii U game but 3D World was similar and with only one year from the 2D option.

NSMB2 still is going to trounce NSMBU sales. 

I'm worried that Nintendo may look at the numbers and come to the conclusion that the next 3D Mario should be for 3DS ... it's the bigger platform and probably means 2x the sales at minimum with a lower development cost. 

If the Wii U sputters I think Nintendo will quietly start making decisions like this behind the scenes. 

From a purely financial POV, Mario Galaxy 3 on 3DS probably sells 8-12 million copies, on Wii U, maybe 4-5 million. 

But with a big decline compared to the last game. I mean, people recomend NSMB for the DS, and I don't see the same for 3DS and NSMB2. Instead, fans and users recomed 3D Land.

Nintendo is unsuccesfully just throwing Mario at everything it moves but it is hurting and generating a worrysome mascot/franchise fatigue. I mean, I can go to a retail and buy NSMBU+NSLU+SM3DWorld, but not an original Zelda, Metroid, MK, SSB, SF, or any other great Nintendo IP's. If we have Pikmin 3 is because that was a Wii delayed game, not a Wii U planned one.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Lucas-Rio said:

To me, it's great to the game selling badly, because it mean Nintendo with stop with the 3D Land approach, the cat gimmick and the multiplayer based platformer and we give us back the Mario we love.

A new Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine may come to life now.

You are an idiot

I doubt you ever played and enjoyed Galaxy if you are offended by any "new" gameplay mechanics or ideas in any game. Galaxy is specifically famous for being just like 3D World in that every level has some unique idea that you wouldn't expect based on the game you have played thus far.

User was warned for this post.

yo_john117

1) Its not a commercial failure.
2) From numerous accounts, it appears to be arguably a better game than the Galaxy series.
3) I can't wait to play it xmas morning.

Lucas-Rio said:

I understand that you like this game and it's fine.  I don't like this kind of platformers and I fear the 3D Mario platformers I like are going to disappear if this game is a success after 3D Land. That's why I am happy it isn't and I say than any other fans who loved Galaxy's games and Mario 64 and Sunshine as well should feel the same way.

This just shows your absulte misunderstanding of the Galaxy games and 3D Mario games in general.

64 and Sunshine were more open, they dropped you in a big empty level to explore.

Mario games started to get linear with Galaxy and since then, their quality has drastically improved. Galaxy 1 started the trend, 1 level,  1 way through it.

Galaxy 2 took it even further.

3D World is as linear as Galaxy 2.

Lumping the Galaxys and Sunshine and 64 together is just disengenious.

Lucas-Rio said:
gergroy said:
Lucas-Rio said:

To me, it's great to the game selling badly, because it mean Nintendo with stop with the 3D Land approach, the cat gimmick and the multiplayer based platformer and we give us back the Mario we love.

A new Galaxy, 64 or Sunshine may come to life now.

a 9% attach rate for an opening is nothing to scoff at, and certainly not a failure.  The low numbers for this game have more to do with install base than consumer interest.  Plus, this game, like every other nintendo game, will have crazy legs.  It will continue to sell well for a long time.  Even if the wii u never makes it past 10 million units sold, this game will still sell at least 2 million units.  

The game giga flopped in Japan. We will see for NPD numbers in US but I don't think it will sell well. I expect NSMBU to easily outsell it. The worst about Mario 3D World numbers, it's that it did not seem to appear to move Wii U the slightlest while it was supposed to be the "Wii U killer app".

I swear Donkey Kong would have outsold it if it wasn't delayed.

it "giga flopped" by selling 100k on an install base of 1.1 million?  1 out of 11 wii u owners bought it there at launch, that is a pretty good launch numbers for any game.  It will also continue to sell.  Like I and others are telling you, this is more of a problem of install base and hardware than anything to do with the game itself.  

Just out of curiosity?  what number would mean it was a regular flop?  What number would mean it did ok?  What number would mean it was a success?  Just so I can gauge where you are coming from.