By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Where should I start?

So I just brought Zelda Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, and will be picking it up on weds. I've never really played a Zelda game before,except briefly on the GC back when I was like 13 :P 

Is this game a good place to start? does Zelda have a story or anything that continues or can I pick up from anywhere?

Around the Network

The only direct sequel is Zelda II on NES, so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Make sure you check out Twilight Princess, my favorite game in the series.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

It's an excellent Zelda game to start with. It captures the core of Zelda perfectly in an engaging 3D world.

If you get hungry for more, I would do Twilight Princess next if you thought OoT was perfect. If you thought it was too easy, go with Majora's Mask, and if too hard, Skyward Sword or Wind Waker.

Yes, its a good place to start. The story is minimal, but there is an overarching story of the series, but its not noticeable. Sometimes it just bolds down to the story of this old hero, wich was the one you played.

For example the hero and story of ocarina of time is mentioned in the beggining of the Wind Waker.

Anyways, play away. Its a good game.

Ocarina is a good place to start. There is an overarching lore throughout the series, but it's completely irrelevant and each game's story is complete on its own, with one or two exceptions.

Around the Network

Yes I agree, you can start with any Zelda game. All of them are loosly tied, but each one has it's own story, more or less.

And I want to point of that if you enjoy playing 2D games then Zelda a Link to the Past is a great game. Also in my opinion Minish Cap for the GBA is also a great 2D-Zelda, but it could be difficult to find the game and a GBA today.

Dont buy Zelda ThinkMan!!!!

Your going to be hooked >_

Ocarina is an excellent way to start, I think that's where a looot of Zelda fans started including myself.

Fusioncode said:
The only direct sequel is Zelda II on NES, so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Make sure you check out Twilight Princess, my favorite game in the series.

DEAD WRONG. mm is a direct sequel to oot and ph and st are direct sequels to ww. but it's true that the order you play doesn't matter.

think-man said:

Is this game a good place to start? does Zelda have a story or anything that continues or can I pick up from anywhere?

Great place to start, sits in the middle if the entire timeline.

If you wanna the prequel to it all then go Skyward Sword.

From there the timeline splits into 3 parts.

One goes to Wind Waker (Adult Timeline), another to Majora's Mask (Child Timeline), and finally to Link in the Past (Downfall Timeline). 

If you wanna play the same Link as in Ocarina then play Majora's Mask.  Twilight Princess and Four Sword Adventure follows after this.

If you wanna play a radically different Hyrule then play Wind Waker HD.  The 2 DS games follow after this.

If you wanna play with the whole Light / Dark World theme then play Link to the Past. A Link Between Worlds, Both Gameboy Zelda's, and the 2 Original Zeldas follow after this.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)