By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Where should I start?

Ocarina is a great place to start. Later, don't miss Twilight Princess. The biggest, grandest and best of them all.

Yep.

Around the Network

OoT was a great experience on the 3DS and is a great place to start. For me, the Zelda series is what Ninty is all about, not the stupid plumber in red :p

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Ocarina of Time would definitely be my recommendation of where to start. Depending on what systems you have, obviously for 3DS, A Link Between Worlds is a brilliant continuation/alteration of the old top-down Zelda games. Skyward Sword for Wii is a great game and is technically the first in the series chronologically, coming before Ocarina (and The Minish Cap). Twilight Princess is like a "darker" version of Ocarina and takes place well in the future. Really though, if you're looking for where to start with 3D Zelda games, in order to get the most quintessential "Zelda" experience, you already chose the right one! :D 2D-A Link To The Past or A Link Between Worlds would be my recommendations. Have fun! If you give them a chance, the Zelda series has a special "magic" to it...the combination of Nintendo's nearly flawless gameplay, the beautiful visuals (in most of the games), the simple, subtle, yet well-realized lore, and especially the iconic and BRILLIANT music can wrap you up in a kind of gaming Nirvana and never let you go. Enjoy it!

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Ocarina is probably best place to start.

If you think in terms of star wars, it is like Episode 4 A new hope.

You wouldn't recommend someone start Star wars on episode 1, you woudl start on episode 4.

That's kind of how Ocarina is. It isn't chronolically first, but it is basically the epicenter of the entire Zelda universe

Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past are the quintessential Zelda games that really represent what Zelda is all about.

After that, I would recommend Wind Waker. I've heard good things about Majora's Mask as well, but it's the only Zelda I haven't played.

Twilight Princess is awfully boring. Really a weak entry, save it for last.

A Link Between Worlds is actually pretty great.

Around the Network

I feel Ocarina of Time is where every fan should start.

but, maybe because its where I started who knows?
I definitely think its the best Zelda game no contest.

After OOT id go with them in order

OOT then MM then WW then TP then SS and so forth

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

Thanks for the advice, I've got the game now :) will start playing once I've finished Pokemon.

Mensrea said:
Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past are the quintessential Zelda games that really represent what Zelda is all about.

After that, I would recommend Wind Waker. I've heard good things about Majora's Mask as well, but it's the only Zelda I haven't played.

Twilight Princess is awfully boring. Really a weak entry, save it for last.

A Link Between Worlds is actually pretty great.

I disagree a million times with that. I find Twilight Princess to be the best game in the series, maybe along with Ocarina. To original poster, play it! The music and atmosphere is one of the most fully realized in TP. I still get so hyped and pumped in the boss fights, mostly because the perfect music by the man Toru Minegishi who made the battle themes in Majora's Mask. Shame he didn't get to create more for Skyward Sword, his latest work is Super Mario 3D World.

And it's the only Zelda game where there is an extra little EPIC melody when the weak point of the boss is exposed, I hope people who played TP remember that. Nice touch.

Yep.

Go in the order they were released, OOT>MM>WW>TP>SS, you wont be disappointed. Especially since you got the 3ds version of OOT, which makes the water temple more enjoyable since you don't have to go through like 3 menus to switch out the iron boots:/

Something...Something...Games...Something