By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Where should I start?

Fusioncode said:
The only direct sequel is Zelda II on NES, so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Make sure you check out Twilight Princess, my favorite game in the series.

Not true. Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time, and Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker. And there's other games with strong connections to each other - ALttP/LA, ALttP/ALBW, WW/PH - ST, etc.

That said, there's no reason you can't start in any order - Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda back on the N64, and I do think it's a good way to start. Personally, I think Twilight Princess is the weakest 3D Zelda, but your mileage may vary.

I don't know the 2Ds well enough to comment, but I'd rank the 3D Zeldas like so:

1. Ocarina of Time (Best overall experience, and probably the most representative of what the common perception of Zelda is)

2. Wind Waker (a more interesting world and story than Ocarina, and better gameplay, but the art style is divisive and it doesn't have the same iconic feel)

3. Skyward Sword (a great story, and the best characterization in the series, as well as a really cool world and an art style I adore, but you lose a lot of the exploration that makes Zelda feel like Zelda)

4. Majora's Mask (my favorite story of any Zelda personally, and a really cool, atmospheric world, but I just do not dig the constant time traveling gameplay, always trying to beat the clock really diminishes the experience for me)

5. Twilight Princess (Don't like the story, don't love the world which turns Zelda into just a generic LotR fantasy style thing, and didn't really dig the gameplay since I don't the Wii mote was implemented nearly as well as in Skyward. There's some nice graphics, but other than that it's by far my least favorite)

Around the Network

Wherever you start you'll feel as out of place as Reggie did at the VGX.

Good luck!

Unless the only Nintendo system you currently own is a 3DS, Ocarina of Time deserves to be played on the big screen, imo.

Start here:

Wind Waker, OOT, or Twilight Princess. So yes, It's a good place to start.

Around the Network

Start with Adventure of Link, and then all other Zelda games will feel like a relaxing vacation.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

tbone51 said:
Dont buy Zelda ThinkMan!!!!

Your going to be hooked >_<

Too late xD I've already brought it online :P just gotta pick it up.

You shouldn't have started with that... your standards will be too high now...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I would suggest Ocarina of time then Majoras mask.
Then either TP or WW but play both next.
After that should not matter to much.

OoT is the best game to start with imo. You can pretty much start with any game but OoT is like the center, the core of the Zelda Legacy.

The split in the timeline started from this game. Also the formula is the Zelda formula at its purest. If you loved OoT, you will atleast like every other game since all other games take this formula but add something to mix it up abit (wether for best of worst(usualy best)). While OoT sticks to the pure formula.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)