By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PS+ really that great? (PS+ vs Netflix)

So I keep seeing some people rave about how great PS+ is and it has me thinking about how we as console gamers have a very low bar set when it comes to getting value for our money.  It's very obvious to every console gamer that buys new games that we don't get anywhere near the same value for our money that PC gamers do.  So it's surprising that some people don't see the same situation for PS+ since an even bigger gap exist in value when comparing it to other subscription rental services.

To illustrate this point here's a comparison between PS+ and Netflix.

Lets start with the number of titles available, Netflix US has 10186 movies/shows available compared to 20 for PS+.  Imagine what people would say about Netflix if it only offered 20 titles to choose from (or even 200 for that matter).  Yet PS+ gets away with offering just 20 titles and not only that, you need to own all three of their systems to play them all.

Then there's the amount of exclusive content you get with the services.  For Netflix you're looking at new seasons of exclusive TV shows that cost 10-30+ million to make.  For PS+ you're looking at a couple of indie games that might cost a few million to make at best.  In fact PS+ would have to step up its game considerably considering Netflix is investing even more heavily into exclusive content and will have even more new TV series in the future.

I know some people are going to want to compare PS+ to Xbox Live (very poor value) but it doesn't change anything except to show another case where we as console gamers should be demanding far more than what we're getting for out money.

Around the Network

I just played Grid 2 and Binary Domain and finished both of them what would have cost me about 15 dollars a month on gamefly to rent I recouped 15 dollars of my 50 dollars in a months time.
Thanks but its a great value :)

Name me another service that gives better games.
Untill then -> PS+ = king

As mainly a PC gamer I get free games all the time. To me its just another reason not to own either the X1 or PS4.

@Cj2i3, I just finished 6 seasons of Dr Who and it cost me 8.00 instead of the hundreds it would cost to buy them all separately. Doesn't make it any less of a rental service. Now that is value for your money

DamnTastic said:
Name me another service that rents better games.
Untill then -> PS+ = king

Fixed that for you. You are not "given" the games as you do not own them.  You are not given anything when you have to pay money for those things. Thats like saying my car was given to me, even though I paid for it.

Around the Network

It's better then xbox live that's all I know. Comparing netflix to a game service? Netflix gets the shows after they have already aired...................Usually quite awhile later.

There is more to plus then the games...The auto updates, cloud saving for cross plat like MLB the show and other benefits as well.

What's hilarious is having to bring up netflix, which it is not even in competition with....Trying to deflect the attention away from Live?

It is better than car rental services. I've cancelled my car rental membership and became a PS+ member the day it was announced. Never looked back.

lol comparing games to movies, what a joke.
I would take 1 game over a billion movies if I had to chose.

I still don't understand why some people try to make PS+ looks like it's a bad deal, the thing has been amazing for the the 1+ year I have been using it. I've already had 4 months for free with deals like the 1 month with every PS4.

you should so a ps+ vs xbl thread next.

...and i have hundreds of titles via ps+ btw (not 20). i get to keep the aggregate of all releases.