By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic Lost Franchise

Tagged games:

Nem said:

I'm of the opinion that not everything was bad with the controls and some things can be improved upon, but i also agree that Sonic needs to be rebooted in the style of Sonic 06. The game was full of bugs and nearly unplayable, but the way Sonic and friends were portrayed is the right way to bring Sonic back.

In short, they need to make Sonic more adult and cool again. There needs to be a storyline that makes you care and there needs to be graphics that make the game atractive. Heck, as far as i care they could just grab the engine used for Sonic 06 and develop a new game with that, minus the bugs and bad design of some levels and plus some of the good mechanics they made with Lost world.

Sadly, i do think this might be the end of Sonic, since the current Sonic Team is made of incompetent people who dont want to admit that Yuji Naka knew what he was doing. They dont want to lower themselves and admit that the path he took with Adventure was the path Sonic needs to go in. I think they will kill Sonic permanently and lose their jobs before they make the Sonic game the fans want and the franchise needs.

In a nuttshell, its not too different from what SEGA as a whole has become today.

In an ideal world, SEGA should hire Yuji Naka and Prope to assist in the development of the next Sonic game. That is the only realistic way he can be saved. Execs need to stop worrying so much about losing face and need to worry more about making a sucessful brand.

Iizuka(current team head) is the father of tyhe Adventure series, not Naka.  Sonic going back to a more edgy stye would not make him an instant success.Hell, alot of criticism of the franchise was born in the Adventure age. Games like Shadow and 06 were a disaster in the story department. Killing Sonic on screen!? You gotta be kidden me!Your post's in this thread amounts to nothing but bullshit and a self serving agenda, 

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Nem said:

I'm of the opinion that not everything was bad with the controls and some things can be improved upon, but i also agree that Sonic needs to be rebooted in the style of Sonic 06. The game was full of bugs and nearly unplayable, but the way Sonic and friends were portrayed is the right way to bring Sonic back.

In short, they need to make Sonic more adult and cool again. There needs to be a storyline that makes you care and there needs to be graphics that make the game atractive. Heck, as far as i care they could just grab the engine used for Sonic 06 and develop a new game with that, minus the bugs and bad design of some levels and plus some of the good mechanics they made with Lost world.

Sadly, i do think this might be the end of Sonic, since the current Sonic Team is made of incompetent people who dont want to admit that Yuji Naka knew what he was doing. They dont want to lower themselves and admit that the path he took with Adventure was the path Sonic needs to go in. I think they will kill Sonic permanently and lose their jobs before they make the Sonic game the fans want and the franchise needs.

In a nuttshell, its not too different from what SEGA as a whole has become today.

In an ideal world, SEGA should hire Yuji Naka and Prope to assist in the development of the next Sonic game. That is the only realistic way he can be saved. Execs need to stop worrying so much about losing face and need to worry more about making a sucessful brand.

Iizuka(current team head) is the father of tyhe Adventure series, not Naka.  Sonic going back to a more edgy stye would not make him an instant success.Hell, alot of criticism of the franchise was born in the Adventure age. Games like Shadow and 06 were a disaster in the story department. Killing Sonic on screen!? You gotta be kidden me!Your post's in this thread amounts to nothing but bullshit and a self serving agenda, 

What the fuck are you talking about?

In what way is having an opinion an agenda?

Smooth sailing for me but i'm only at frozen factory.

Sonic Lost World is a mixed bag. The graphics are clean and colorful, the  game runs at a solid 60fps, the music is catchy, the character interaction is pretty strong and funny, but level design ( specially 2D) is really lacking, there are tons of cheap deaths, level gimmicks are for the most part shitty ( *cough* snowball level *cough *), bosses are terrible.. A  mixed bag.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Aye, there certainly doesn't need to be a plot. While the Adventure games were cool and had the right balance of seriousness (not all up in its own ass like Shadow or 06, but enough for there to be a veneer of investment), it's ultimately unimportant if the balance is against making the game actually playable.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
Nem said:

Takahashi is the Director, the producer is Yuji Naka.

The fact of the matter is that under the leadership of Takahashi Sonic Team delivered nothing but sub-par games and while under Naka they delivered gem after gem. They fired the writers and the voice actors of the adventure series i heard. This is obviously an action towards rejecting the adventure series for nefarious reasons.

I think you cant deny that the Adventure series is the most popular 3D Sonic series, and shadow and 06 are not the product of the same creators. I liked that Sonic 06 kept Sonic as a cool character just like the Adventure series did, though the plot twists were unfortunate in some parts and there are many bugs and design flaws with that game. The vibe was not one of them. If you look at a trailer of Sonic 06 and a trailer of Sonic lost world you will see a huge difference. Werent you in the thread where i linked them?

Here you go again:

Look at these trailers without prior knowledge that 06 is a bug ridden game. Wich one excites you more?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCc32P672_0

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sIkDWfccU

Theres no agenda Xxain (nor do i know what specific agenda you would be hinting at). Theres Sonic losing his identity. Becoming a bland and shallow character in an atempt to emulate Mario and get bigger sales. But, thats not how Sonic works. Mario has a unique flavor that works for him but doesnt work for anyone else.

Theres plots no one cares about, and a series that cant just stand on its own on the value of its gameplay, wether it has it or not at this point. The number of failure games by now invalidate that trust from the consumer. And Sonic dieing is not a bad plot twist per se, it makes him feel more human and gives his character depth. Kissing a human princess is. It gives a weird cross-species vibe no one wants to visit.

Sonic was designed as a cool character that is the hero of his world, saving it from bigger threats. And this has always been the case even with the small ammount of Story in the Mega drive games. Sonic nowadays is a runt that goes around knocking out nobodies. Characters with no development that no one has any atachment too. Fodder. There no epicness or coolness here. Its just plain boring.

Maybe to make things clearer, i dont mean the gameplay shouldnt be there. But the plot is essential to drive sales at this point. A bland Sonic is not gonna move anyone to buy the game. Generations worked cause it tapped from the nostalgia factor, but Lost world reveals this flaw in full force.

Oh... and drop the agenda crap. Lets not lower the level of a conversation just cause we dont have the same opinion.

Nem said:
Xxain said:
Nem said:

Takahashi is the Director, the producer is Yuji Naka.

The fact of the matter is that under the leadership of Takahashi Sonic Team delivered nothing but sub-par games and while under Naka they delivered gem after gem. They fired the writers and the voice actors of the adventure series i heard. This is obviously an action towards rejecting the adventure series for nefarious reasons.

I think you cant deny that the Adventure series is the most popular 3D Sonic series, and shadow and 06 are not the product of the same creators. I liked that Sonic 06 kept Sonic as a cool character just like the Adventure series did, though the plot twists were unfortunate in some parts and there are many bugs and design flaws with that game. The vibe was not one of them. If you look at a trailer of Sonic 06 and a trailer of Sonic lost world you will see a huge difference. Werent you in the thread where i linked them?

Here you go again:

Look at these trailers without prior knowledge that 06 is a bug ridden game. Wich one excites you more?

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCc32P672_0

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sIkDWfccU

There no agenda Xxain (nor do i know what specific agenda you would be hinting at). Theres Sonic losing his identity. Becoming a bland and shallow character in an atempt to emulate Mario and get bigger sales. But, thats not how Sonic works. Mario has a unique flavor that works for him but doesnt work for anyone else.

Theres plots no one cares about, and a series that cant just stand on its own on the value of its gameplay, wether it has it or not at this point. The number of failure games by now invalidate that trust from the consumer. And Sonic dieing is not a bad plot twist per se, it makes him feel more human and gives his character depth. Kissing a human princess is. It gives a weird cross-species vibe no one wants to visit.

Sonic was designed as a cool character that is the hero of his world, saving it from bigger threats. And this has always been the case even with the small ammount of Story in the Mega drive games. Sonic nowadays is a runt that goes around knocking out nobodies. Characters with no development that no one has any atachment too. Fodder. There no epicness or coolness here. Its just plain boring.

The Idea for Sonic Adventure was from Iizuka! That's why he is the director of both Adventure 1,2 and shadow. Being the producer has nothing to do with creative input in the game. Matte of fact Naka complained all the time since being put in producer position kept him away from a hands on approach to the series. Producer is just the guy that make sure milesstones are being hit when they are supposed to.  The idea that Naka did only good is also BS. Naka is part responsible for Shadow the hedgehog and 06!.His is idea was that because westerners liked violence adding it in Sonic would increase appeal... how stupid. Your giving credit to the wrong people in both regards. I am not disagreeing that Sonic tone is hampering the series but the stupid premise that going back to it would fix the series while ignoring the up and down in quality in the game itself as the biggest factor in the decline. Your just using alot of flat out wrong information.  Classics are loved dearly by those that played them and they had no story. Generations and colors have very little stupid stories and generally praised by the community. Ironically the game you keep using as the ideal in tone is the most hated in community. 

I will have to leave it at this. Must go to work.

Btw we do have the same opinion. Im saying your reasonings are wrong.

I haven't gotten much chance to play S:LW (only played the demo at Sonic Boom), so I'm not really qualified to speak to the entirety of the game, but what I played I didn't particularly care for (other than the 60fps). I like the Colors/Generations formula, and I didn't think they needed to change it that much. The new run button system just doesn't mesh with Sonic IMO. That being said, reviews seemed pretty polarized on the game, so clearly a fair number of people liked it, even if more people didn't.

I don't really see much wrong with how SEGA is handling the story-telling; I think in the long run it's better for them to have light-hearted plots that appeal to a younger demographic, than try to pander only to us old timers who are nostalgic for stuff like SatAM or Sonic Adventure. This isn't to say that there shouldn't be any serious tone in Sonic at all; if the writers think of something a little more serious that they think is going to work, then by all means, they should give it a shot. But trying to force Sonic into a super serious role like we saw in 06 or Shadow isn't a good idea.

Ultimately, what will keep Sonic selling is good gameplay. Make Sonic control well, and give us those classic slopes, loop-de-loops, and branching paths. Maybe something like the parkour system can be a good long-term addition to the franchise, if they can refine it over time.

They should just go back to the 2D styled games, those were the best ones.