By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sonic Lost Franchise

Tagged games:

Xxain said:

The Idea for Sonic Adventure was from Iizuka! That's why he is the director of both Adventure 1,2 and shadow. Being the producer has nothing to do with creative input in the game. Matte of fact Naka complained all the time since being put in producer position kept him away from a hands on approach to the series. Producer is just the guy that make sure milesstones are being hit when they are supposed to.  The idea that Naka did only good is also BS. Naka is part responsible for Shadow the hedgehog and 06!.His is idea was that because westerners liked violence adding it in Sonic would increase appeal... how stupid. Your giving credit to the wrong people in both regards. I am not disagreeing that Sonic tone is hampering the series but the stupid premise that going back to it would fix the series while ignoring the up and down in quality in the game itself as the biggest factor in the decline. Your just using alot of flat out wrong information.  Classics are loved dearly by those that played them and they had no story. Generations and colors have very little stupid stories and generally praised by the community. Ironically the game you keep using as the ideal in tone is the most hated in community. 

I will have to leave it at this. Must go to work.

Ok, well it doesnt add up that if in one case Naka beeing the producer means he has nothing to do with it, but on the other one he has everything to do with it. You're not making sense. Either he has nothing to do with it on all regards or he has something to do with it on all regards. Make up your mind. :P

With that said, i disagree. Again, under Naka Sonic team built great games like Nights, like Burning rangers, like Billy hatcher. Under the current management its been nothing but misses. How can there not be a correlation?

Finally the critics of Sonic 06 were great, but there was an insane ammount of hype behind the game. Something that doesnt exist in the most recent games. Graphically the series has actually taken a step back. The community criticises the game with good reason because much of it was wrong, especially cause it was rushed. But, the premise of a storyline with cool characters wasnt that. That premise hyped the game up and was a sucess. I actually bought a new console (the xbox 360) with the game. It was the game that made me get a new console. That is what i think can be salvaged from that game.

Around the Network

They released Sonic Adventure 2 HD a year ago, so I'm not complaining.

VGPolyglot said:
They should just go back to the 2D styled games, those were the best ones.

They actually made Sonic 4 episode 2 a really good game, but the comercial criticis ran that game down saying it wasnt fast enough. It was really good in my opinion, but i dont like to see the 2D games split into such small games (4 stages of 3 acts). I want a proper 2D Sonic game that can live up to the standards set by Sonic 3 and knuckles and have at least 10 worlds with 3 acts. 

Though the other unfair criticism the series gets when it does 2D right, like on the case of the 3DS generations is that the game is just too small. So we got 3D Sonic with good length faltering and we got 2D gaming criticised by the press with little reasoning and without enough length.I defend that Sonic should have a 2D and a 3D series like Mario does, but SEGA is afraid to invest on a fully 2D Sonic game, despite Generations having proved it can work.

Sonic and Mario shouldn't mix platform elements. Have you ever played "Somari"? Sonic needs to do a generations type game without the story obviously. I personally think a Sonic Adventure 3 is appropriate for the next Sonic game.

shikamaru317 said:

Wow, I just realized that Sonic Lost World has been out for more than a month in North America and Japan and almost 2 months in Europe, and it's only sold 80k copies on the Wii U and 100k on the 3DS. That is an even bigger sales flop than I thought it was, especially considering the fact that Generations has sold 2.88 million copies.

Ironically, Sonic is not a sprinter, not anymore.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Wow, I just realized that Sonic Lost World has been out for more than a month in North America and Japan and almost 2 months in Europe, and it's only sold 80k copies on the Wii U and 100k on the 3DS. That is an even bigger sales flop than I thought it was, especially considering the fact that Generations has sold 2.88 million copies.

Goes against what some people were saying about Sonic being better off on Nintendo platforms.

shikamaru317 said:
brendude13 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Goes against what some people were saying about Sonic being better off on Nintendo platforms.

Yeah, I've said that they were wrong from the start. When Sega first announced the 2 year 3 game Sonic Nintendo exclusivity deal I said it was a mistake. Generations has sold just over 2 million copies combined on the 360 and PS3, with another 90k on PC (not including digital sales). An extra 2+ million in sales is alot to give up. I guess Sega thought that the high Sonic sales on the Wii would translate over to the Wii U, but the Wii U has proven to be far less popular than the Wii so far. I just hope that once the exclusivity deal is over, that Sega will copy Generation's successful formula in a new next-gen multiplatform game and fix what issues people did have with Generations, that could be just the thing that Sonic needs to see a comeback. 

Sonic does about the same, wherever he goes, and he doesn't get there quickly.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Nem said:
Xxain said:

The Idea for Sonic Adventure was from Iizuka! That's why he is the director of both Adventure 1,2 and shadow. Being the producer has nothing to do with creative input in the game. Matte of fact Naka complained all the time since being put in producer position kept him away from a hands on approach to the series. Producer is just the guy that make sure milesstones are being hit when they are supposed to.  The idea that Naka did only good is also BS. Naka is part responsible for Shadow the hedgehog and 06!.His is idea was that because westerners liked violence adding it in Sonic would increase appeal... how stupid. Your giving credit to the wrong people in both regards. I am not disagreeing that Sonic tone is hampering the series but the stupid premise that going back to it would fix the series while ignoring the up and down in quality in the game itself as the biggest factor in the decline. Your just using alot of flat out wrong information.  Classics are loved dearly by those that played them and they had no story. Generations and colors have very little stupid stories and generally praised by the community. Ironically the game you keep using as the ideal in tone is the most hated in community. 

I will have to leave it at this. Must go to work.

Ok, well it doesnt add up that if in one case Naka beeing the producer means he has nothing to do with it, but on the other one he has everything to do with it. You're not making sense. Either he has nothing to do with it on all regards or he has something to do with it on all regards. Make up your mind. :P

With that said, i disagree. Again, under Naka Sonic team built great games like Nights, like Burning rangers, like Billy hatcher. Under the current management its been nothing but misses. How can there not be a correlation?

Finally the critics of Sonic 06 were great, but there was an insane ammount of hype behind the game. Something that doesnt exist in the most recent games. Graphically the series has actually taken a step back. The community criticises the game with good reason because much of it was wrong, especially cause it was rushed. But, the premise of a storyline with cool characters wasnt that. That premise hyped the game up and was a sucess. I actually bought a new console (the xbox 360) with the game. It was the game that made me get a new console. That is what i think can be salvaged from that game.

1. Where did I not make sense? Yuji Naka was promted to Producer after Sonic and Knuckles. From this point on his Job was to oversee all projects by done Sonic Team and other various teams. This does not mean he just disappeared, of course not he was still there for consultant purposes but hands on jobs like programming(which he loved), designer etc he was not able to do. This is part of the reason left and formed Probe. To start making games again. Lets talk about management. Yuji Naka left during development of 06 which developer have gone on record to  state affected the development of the game. From that point on There was no official head of Sonic Team(btw some ex SEGA spilled the beans that "Sonic Team" doesn't really exist anymore) So every Sonic game from 06 - Colors had a different director with ideas about how to push Sonic forward. This is referred to Dark Age of Sonic and why so many kind's of Sonic existed. It was not untill Lizuka came back to be the main head of an actual "Sonic Team" for colors tp set things straight. He is currently he is 2 for 3 and though Lost World was a dud it is nowhere the suckage of the Dark Age Sonic games. 

2 Nights, Burning Rangers, and Billy Hatcher were neither critical or commercial success. They are love for distinct ideas and charm. Again Yuji Naka did not create those games. He oversaw all of them. Iizuka was creator of Nights, Shun Nakamura was Billy Hatcher and Naoto Oshima  was Burning Rangers. Now this is not say he was not involved. I believe he is responsible for the Nights Engine but the high hoarse you are sitting him on is underserved.

3. It is generally agreed upon by the Sonic community that 06 and Shadow overstep the boundary in how far to take seriousness of the IP. Sonic Adventure 2 is also generally agreed upon to be the best balance.