By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is no one complaining about paying for PSN?

Euphoria14 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Euphoria14 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
This is the top excuse I hear:
"I don't mind paying for PSN because I get so much value out of it"
Even though just a year ago you would see a bunch of people crying about MS charging for XBL.

Come on guys, bring better arguments than this sense of "double standards".

People were bitching about XBLive because other than online gaming, what did it give you? Take a moment to answer that.

Once you are done answering please answer this:

What do you get with PS+?

What do you mean? I happily pay for both services. Obviously tens of millions of gamers find value in paying for XBL.

Of course they did, at time of XB360 launch and even at the time of PS3 launch the 360 had the premiere online gaming service. By 2008-2012 that was no longer the case as Sony reduced the gap.

Now MS is beginning to try and add value by giving free games, just like Sony does with PS+. Only issue I have though is that they tend to be incredibly old titles. Yes, you get to keep them forever, but they are old and in some cases, like with GoW, the first game in a franchise with (4) titles.

It is getting better though.

People should stop thinking it is 100% double standards when in fact right now the reactions are different because the entire landscape has changed.

I agree, all I said was that their was a lot of people complaing about Xbox Live before Sony announced PS4 online would require PS+. Which I don't mind at all. 

Around the Network

I am so tired of people asking this question. Because it is worth the money!!! It gives you everything Xbox Live does except:

-It gives you free games on THREE platforms
-The games you get are worth playing and aren't insanely old
-It costs $10 less
-It isn't required! Netflix and Free to play games all work fine online. Hell Xbox Live even delays releases by 1 week for silver members. That's messed up!

Because we get free games and while MS is starting with it too: They're offering rather old games (we're talking Gears 1 and Halo 3 here  but still its a start.)

I was subscribing to PS+ before it was needed for PS4. I have like 20ish games in my backlog thanks to it. Its due to PS+ that I fell inlove with Sleeping Dogs! So yeah you cannot debunk the value you get there.

XBL has allot of features behind their Gold pay wall. Apps/ Demos etc, PSN did not. Apps were free as well as demos.

PSN is still free for non online users. So If you plan on not playing online games, you don't have to purchase a PSN plan. Thats a good option for some.

I think the biggest difference now is that the games that PS+ offers are so awesome, paying a monthly service fee (which is on par with XBL), to most is really not a huge deal breaker anymore.

I would rather PSN stayed free, but I have had ps+ for years now, so it does not affect me.
As it stands now, PS+ vs XBL, PS+ wins by a landslide.

d21lewis said:
Look, a lot of things have changed now. Just let it go.

-It was "You can't play sales", "I guess Justin Bieber is the best singer in the world, huh?". Now, with home consoles breaking records, sales are extremely important.

-Performance wasn't an issue before if the games were virtually identical. Now, if a game is less HD than another, it's crap .

-Mandatory installs and incredibly long updates were tolerable. Now, waiting 10 minutes for a game to install will kill you.

-It didn't matter which controller was best, as long as the controller was good enough for the games YOU wanted to play. Now, if you're playing with anything less than the best controller (as voted by most gaming sites, you're a loser.

-Paying an annual fee for online gaming was damn near criminal. How can any company hold half the game YOU PAID FOR hostage unless you paid an annual fee? Now, it's okay.

-Gay marriage was frowned up. Now, it's legal.

-Digital games "didn't count". Now, they're just as important as retail titles.

I hope you've learned something. These are different times and different rules will apply.

I preferred attaboy. Bring him back.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Euphoria14 said:

It is getting better though.

What Xbox Live Gold haters should understand is that every service needs time. Certainly they have thrown some trash to the gamers, but I can only think the games will keep getting better and better. PS+ needed almost a year to be where it stands now.

I am sure that with MS deep pockets they can give you better than Gears of War 1. They could have always given better, but until recently they had zero reason to do so.

Just give it time. If PS4 sells better then Xbone and PSN+ proves to be a true success in the new generation, expect MS to start tossing tons of better value your way. Now with the new landscape and greater competition in that space we can all expect greater value.

Start stocking up on subs now.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

d21lewis said:
Look, a lot of things have changed now. Just let it go.

-It was "You can't play sales", "I guess Justin Bieber is the best singer in the world, huh?". Now, with home consoles breaking records, sales are extremely important.

-Performance wasn't an issue before if the games were virtually identical. Now, if a game is less HD than another, it's crap .

-Mandatory installs and incredibly long updates were tolerable. Now, waiting 10 minutes for a game to install will kill you.

-It didn't matter which controller was best, as long as the controller was good enough for the games YOU wanted to play. Now, if you're playing with anything less than the best controller (as voted by most gaming sites, you're a loser.

-Paying an annual fee for online gaming was damn near criminal. How can any company hold half the game YOU PAID FOR hostage unless you paid an annual fee? Now, it's okay.

-Gay marriage was frowned up. Now, it's legal.

-Digital games "didn't count". Now, they're just as important as retail titles.

I hope you've learned something. These are different times and different rules will apply.

Church...

Because PlayStation Plus is a service worth every fucking cent and not a simple paywall like XBL Gold?

Captain_Tom said:
 It gives you everything Xbox Live does except:

-The games you get are worth playing and aren't insanely old

Let me give you the list of games Ps+ gave when it started:

North America
Game Date added
1 Wipeout HD June 29, 2010 [3]
2 Critter Crunch July 27, 2010 [4]
3 Mushroom Wars August 24, 2010 [5]
4 Zen Pinball September 21, 2010 [6]
5 Burn Zombie Burn October 19, 2010 [7]
6 Shatter November 16, 2010 [8]
7 Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves December 7, 2010 [9]
8 Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (episodes 1–5) December 14, 2010
PAL regions
Game Date added
1 Wipeout HD June 29, 2010 [10]
2 Zen Pinball August 4, 2010 [11]
3 Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (episodes 1–5) September 1, 2010 [12]
4 Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix October 6, 2010 [13]
5 Critter Crunch November 3, 2010 [14]
6 Cuboid December 1, 2010 [15]
7 Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves December 7, 2010 [16]

Euphoria14 said:

I am sure that with MS deep pockets they can give you better than Gears of War 1. They could have always given better, but until recently they had zero reason to do so.

Just give it time. If PS4 sells better then Xbone and PSN+ proves to be a true success in the new generation, expect MS to start tossing tons of better value your way. Now with the new landscape and greater competition in that space we can all expect greater value.

Start stocking up on subs now.

Maybe MS doesn't wanna rent games or publishers and devs don't wanna give up their recent games for free.