By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU's first year. Was it good or bad?

Do you like WiiU's first year?

Yes 20 17.70%

No 33 29.20%

50/50 25 22.12%

WiiUis a flop and should ... 27 23.89%

See results 8 7.08%

Total:113

It was a lot like PS3's first full year after launch. Extremely disappointing follow on from one of the most successful consoles of all time. Only Wii U doesn't have a $600 price tag as an excuse. The excuse for Wii U of course is that the blue ocean consumers are very unmotivated and will take a lot of coaxing to buy into another console generation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Sales are an absolute disaster.

As a consumer I think it's had an okay first year but it could have been better. Nintendoland and The Wonderful 101 were both brilliant and my personal favourite games. Lego City Undercover, Wind Waker and Pikmin helped fill the gaps but there still wasn't enough software released over the 12 months. They made some really bad decisions in first party software (Game and Wario eurgh...) and third party partnerships (Ninja Gaiden 3), which didn't help.
Nintendo should have done a lot more with the Virtual Console and encouraging indies to bring their titles to the eshop. The latter they've clearly worked hard to rectify going forward into 2014 so hopefully these droughts won't be so prominent next year.
They've fixed up the UI a lot but it still is missing gamepad controls in Wii mode and the system needs a working account system. The eshop is also missing a way just to see all titles alphabetically. Trying to find older games not in the charts was a nightmare.
5/10

The first half of 2013 was not good, few games and bad sales... blah blah blah everyon knows the story

The platform seems a lot better now with great games, nice bundles and great pricing.

I´m not an expert in marketing, but I do believe that right now, what hurts more is the name. Many consumers, outside the ring of videogame fans, don´t recognize the WiiU as a new console. Most people think its just a Wii with a different controller. Nintendo should have come with a different name for the console.

This could be addressed, at least partially, with better advertisment. Nintendo really needs to spread more propaganda, make the product been known by people. So far efforts in advertisment have been very low.

I can't very well claim to have "liked" the Wii U's first year while still justifying the fact that I haven't bought one yet, so I guess my answer is "no." Its first year wasn't all that hot. Next year looks awesome though.

It wasnt a good first year but it was a good launch.

Around the Network

First year sucked, hopefully next year will be better.