By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU's first year. Was it good or bad?

Do you like WiiU's first year?

Yes 20 17.70%

No 33 29.20%

50/50 25 22.12%

WiiUis a flop and should ... 27 23.89%

See results 8 7.08%

Total:113

Whats your opinion on WiiU's first year on the market as a gamer? I've bought in on Russian launch in December. First months was a bit empty, but I enjoyed Nintendo Land with my family and also ZombieU/COD/Trine2. Then in March came Monster Hunter 3U which taken a lot of my gaming time and Lego City - fantastic game which I didn't finished yet - need to return to it surely.

Summer was empty. I'd bought Deus Ex immediately if it'd be on the shelves in May as it planned initially and Rayman Legends if it'd be in February. But now I'm packed with a good games and will be buying third party games only with good discounts after half year time (already bought Rayman Legends in eShop).

Then August come and it starts - Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 (one of me favorite games), unexpected Wii Sports Club, Zelda Windwaker HD...

The end of year is good and I have much more games then time for gaming (Super Mario 3D World is amazing, the best 3d Mario for me).

So looking back the first year of WiiU was not empty on games. Maybe the sales are dissappointing, but as a gamer I'm very glad that I made this purchase a year ago. Also - I've bought quite a lot of games digital this generation, my WiiU collection is 50/50 digital vs boxes.

Next year already looks packed with a lot of good games: Mario Kart 8, SSBBU, Bayo2, X (if it will release in 2014) and Donkey Kong are first day mustbuys. 
Hopefully we'll get more surprises from Nintendo for 2014, so I'm still very optimistic on WiiU.

And whats your opinion on WiiU first year games?

Around the Network

Honestly I feel it was alright though Nintendo didn't fully capitalise on its head start. I own 9 games on the system, 7 of which are 3rd party. I appreciate the free online play, after being spoiled on PC I cannot simply pay for what I expect as a free standard. My only concern is the future of 3rd party games. They really help and Ninty needs to shift more units to encourage them.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Not good, but next year it should pick up a little bit.

Hopefully, this will be the Wii U's worst year. It can only go up, right?

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Horrible for nintendo, good for me.

Around the Network
Welfare said:
Hopefully, this will be the Wii U's worst year. It can only go up, right?

No doubt about that.  If the console sales ever went down after DK/Kart/and Smash came out then I would hope someone would be hitting the giant panic button.  That panic button would most likely spit out $199 Wii U's with no tablet, because to me that would be the last resort.

WiiU first year was a flop ..... the delays, the system being overpriced, the lack of quality software.

WiiU failed to capitalized on the head start.
WiiU failed to retain and attract 3rd Party Dev.
WiiU still as a gloomy future outlook.

it wasnt overpriced, by that logic no1 would have bought a xbone because its overpriced too. not to mention that when you buy a Microsoft game you already right at the start mssing download content for the same price.

Not to forget the microtransactions, you would expect in a free handy game and not in a real expensive game for a 500 Dollar console

The advertising really sucked at the beginning that was the true reason. I saw a spot on  german tv, it said the new console with a game pad.

Yes its a play on fans who hated the wii controller, but i had no idea that they ment that. I was just like thinking, hell everyone console has a gamepad, thats the worst advertising ever. I think when i now think about it, Nintendo should never listen to people on the internet who say this and that is the reason they dont buy Nintendo. Its probably just false leads by the competition.

yvanjean said:
WiiU first year was a flop ..... the delays, the system being overpriced, the lack of quality software.

WiiU failed to capitalized on the head start.
WiiU failed to retain and attract 3rd Party Dev.
WiiU still as a gloomy future outlook.

Its funny that some people didn't read the OP. We all know that the sales of WiiU and WiiU games are not where we or nintendo would like it to be. 
The question was do you personally like the first year games or not.

Also wow at the poll. 25% thinks that WiiU should be discontinued tomorrow. Its strange to see this high hate level to Nintendo after more or less successful launches of PS4/X1.

Mario 3D World is sublime and Pikmin 3 was very good, but the drought for the first half of the year sucked, so 50/50.