By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Abortion survivor story

A lot of abortion cases not rape/abuse ?

True 46 67.65%

False 5 7.35%

We don't know 15 22.06%

Total:66
Soleron said:
ninetailschris said:
Soleron said:
ninetailschris said:
Jay520 said:

Just asking a question because I'm curious where this could logical imply. Here is my question.

Couldn't one use the same logic to justify kill there 1-5 year old. Hear me out. If the parent believe the child will have social behavior problems because the child father was a rapist and her feelings towards the child will always be in a negative fashion. Then would it not be ok to kill the child because of potential negative impact of society that child may have. It is not uncommon for this to happen so, would the mother be justified in killing the child for society protection and her own child? We have to also factor in that if the mother doesn't want the child around anymore it is her choice seen she had to care the child as that's her right.

Um, adoption?

Could say the same for a baby in womb.

Well, no. You'd still be making the mother carry it to viability and then give birth.

This doesn't change the fact that child could potentially become violent because he has no actual mother or father. Some never leave orphan homes and become violent which is actually not unheard.

"could" "potentially" "some" "not unheard of"

Plus we have to pay for that and why do that to our government?

OK so you can sidestep ethical concerns if it costs too much?

Why put the child in a place he could come out abused and mishandled like it happens many times at these orphan homes. Plus what if he rejects his new parents and becomes a threat to society?

"could" "like" "what if"

I believe the woman should have the right to kill there son as she had to take care of the child and the man only gave the seed. The government didn't have care that child for 4-8 months, she did. Why are you invading in her life when it will not affect you?

Why are you trying to take those slaves off the plantation owner? He's been taking care of them all since birth. It's invading his life to say he can't keep them.

"OK so you can sidestep ethical concerns if it costs too much?"

Why are your ethics more than mine. Morals are relative. We just change the ethics like we always do.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Around the Network
ninetailschris said:

Why are your ethics more than mine. Morals are relative. We just change the ethics like we always do.

If we are talking morality. Then how cheap or expensive it is to do doesn't matter.

Soleron said:

1. No. There should be a second decision point for the man before birth as to whether he intends to support it. Then with that knowledge the woman is free to keep it or not.

Practically this is the best possible ending for both parties. Both get to make an informed decision and consequences aren't forced on anyone.

2. This kind of thing (1% of people get absolutely destroyed; 99% get away with it) is what I consider the worst possible outcome for any law. Like when everyone shares CDs but one guy gets a $60m infringement judgement. Or everyone makes racist remarks at some point but one guy goes to jail for 2 years over a Twitter comment. THAT is the real injustice in society.

3. Yes, both sexes should be able to have unlimited unprotected consensual sex without legal consequences. In fact I think that's a principle worth building our society on. Does sex need to have consequences? Like it's wrong or icky or something?

1. I'm not sure why you consider having unprotected sex to be an uninformed decision, or that the consequences would be "forced" upon the participants. When someone has unprotected sex, they are fully informed of the consequences of their actions. As such, they should be held responsible for their actions. The consequences aren't forced upon them. Why do you think a man shouldn't have to be held accountable for his actions, when he was always completely informed of the implications of those actions? This goes against the traditional interpretation of what "accountability" should be defined as. What is your interpretation of "accountability" and why do you think it is superior?

2. Honestly, after thinking about it, even if we could theoretically prove that a man's condom broke, I still think he should be held accountable for a pregnancy. Yeah, when the man used a condom, it was unlikely that a pregnancy would occur. But why should probability invalidate a man's accountability and responsibility? If accountability refers to a person being responsible for his/her actions when they’re aware of the consequences, then the likelihood of the development of consequences should have no significance. Additionally, if you were to erase accountability solely because of probability, then that would be extremely unfair to the person who is victimized.

But of course, what I said in this second paragraph only makes sense if you agree with my first paragraph.

3. Unlimited unprotected sex in itself is not morally wrong, but the implications of the activity are quite devastating. In a perfect world with perfect people, I agree there would be nothing wrong with this: people would have lots and lots of sex, but they would always be in perfect agreement on if they should have a child or an abortion. So all would be good.

However, reality is very different: with each unprotected sexual encounter, there's going to always be a certain percentage of disagreements between the man and woman concerning if they want to have a child. Lots of times the woman has a child against the man's intentions, and so the baby oftentimes grows up without a close father figure, and many times in a poor economic environment. This can be explained because people who disagree on having a child - yet still foolishly choose to have unprotected sex - are more likely to make unfit parents.

Already we have too many kids with minimum paternal support and poor environments. Yet with your idea, there would be extremely more of these children. Further, these children would be extremely worse since (a) that minimum paternal support would vanish, and (b) the environments would be subsequently worse. Allow me to elaborate. If there were no consequences for unprotected sex, then there would be an extreme increase in unprotected sex, and thus more unfortunate children described above. The minimum paternal support (child support) would vanish because it wouldn't be legally coerced. And of course the lack of paternal support for these children would worsen the already poor environments.

Not to mention the increase in STDs.

So your idea would damage both the society (crime) and the children affected; not only in magnitude, but also in quantity. I'm honestly confused as to how you could honestly think this is a "principle worth building society". This would be nothing but bad news. Unprotected sex should be reserved for couples in relatively deeper relationships, since they would have an understanding on the expectations regarding a pregnancy. Your idea would not increase the amount of unprotected sex involving couples in these deep relationships. Your idea would increase the amount of unprotected sex for those in one-night stands and unstable relationships. The implications for society and children would be devastating.

Jay520 said:
menx64 said:

I know is her body, but shouldnt the father have the right to decide as well? I can understand the case of a rapist or a a one night stand, but what about a husband or a long time boyfriend?

Just because a man donated his seed to a woman, that doesn't mean the woman should have to follow through and use that seed to form a child.

It's tricker than that, because a father financially responsible for the child whether he wants to or not.

It's a pretty deep issue where no cases is going to be exactly the same.

Edit: Nevermind. I see this has been talked about quite a bit. You can pass me up.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Jay520 said:
Soleron said:

1. I'm not sure why you consider having unprotected sex to be an uninformed decision, or that the consequences would be "forced" upon the participants. When someone has unprotected sex, they are fully informed of the consequences of their actions. As such, they should be held responsible for their actions. The consequences aren't forced upon them. Why do you think a man shouldn't have to be held accountable for his actions, when he was always completely informed of the implications of those actions? This goes against the traditional interpretation of what "accountability" should be defined as. What is your interpretation of "accountability" and why do you think it is superior?

I disagree that the act of having sex alone commits you to supporting any resulting child. For either sex.

2. Honestly, after thinking about it, even if we could theoretically prove that a man's condom broke, I still think he should be held accountable for a pregnancy. Yeah, when the man used a condom, it was unlikely that a pregnancy would occur. But why should probability invalidate a man's accountability and responsibility? If accountability refers to a person being responsible for his/her actions when they’re aware of the consequences, then the likelihood of the development of consequences should have no significance. Additionally, if you were to erase accountability solely because of probability, then that would be extremely unfair to the person who is victimized.

But of course, what I said in this second paragraph only makes sense if you agree with my first paragraph.

3. Unlimited unprotected sex in itself is not morally wrong, but the implications of the activity are quite devastating. In a perfect world with perfect people, I agree there would be nothing wrong with this: people would have lots and lots of sex, but they would always be in perfect agreement on if they should have a child or an abortion. So all would be good.

However, reality is very different: with each unprotected sexual encounter, there's going to always be a certain percentage of disagreements between the man and woman concerning if they want to have a child. Lots of times the woman has a child against the man's intentions, and so the baby oftentimes grows up without a close father figure, and many times in a poor economic environment.

This is unfortunate, yes, but not something to be solved with a Responsibility Hammer. I think enacting laws to make society look like you want is worse than the alternative.

e.g. we should ban alcohol because some people might drink-drive
e.g. we should ban P2P protocols because some people might use it to share copyrighted files
e.g. we should ban public protesting because it might lead to violence

Now, I agree it's consistent to hold those views. I just don't believe you get a desirable society with such bans.

This can be explained because people who disagree on having a child - yet still foolishly choose to have unprotected sex - are more likely to make unfit parents.

Already we have too many kids with minimum paternal support and poor environments.

That's not a problem for the government to solve.

Yet with your idea, there would be extremely more of these children. Further, these children would be extremely worse since (a) that minimum paternal support would vanish, and (b) the environments would be subsequently worse. Allow me to elaborate. If there were no consequences for unprotected sex, then there would be an extreme increase in unprotected sex

Disagree. People aren't not-having-sex because of child support concerns. For example, legalising drugs doesn't increase drug use. 

I disagree with your premise that undesirable behaviour would measurably decrease.

AND I disagree that, even if it DOESdecrease, that's not a good reason to do it. I think the government effectively punishing sex is worse than the societal consequences of them not.

, and thus more unfortunate children described above. The minimum paternal support (child support) would vanish because it wouldn't be legally coerced. And of course the lack of paternal support for these children would worsen the already poor environments.

Not to mention the increase in STDs.

Again, I don't think that would happen, and I think if it did happen it's not for the government to reduce via laws anyway.

So your idea would damage both the society (crime) and the children affected; not only in magnitude, but also in quantity. I'm honestly confused as to how you could honestly think this is a "principle worth building society".

I'm confused as to why you think using the law as a blunt instrument to create the society you want is an ethical, good or practical idea.

This would be nothing but bad news. Unprotected sex should be reserved for couples in relatively deeper relationships, since they would have an understanding on the expectations regarding a pregnancy.Your idea would not increase the amount of unprotected sex involving couples in these deep relationships. Your idea would increase the amount of unprotected sex for those in one-night stands and unstable relationships. The implications for society and children would be devastating.

Your thought process:

- Here's what society is now
- Here's what I want it to look like
- Legislate from A to B

I understand that. But this is the kind of logic used to take away all kinds of freedoms, and ultimately even you don't get what you want. I think people should be given the choice to make the wrong choice.

I have a question for you. Can you point to any examples of, social freedoms having been increased, there being runaway negative consequences for the country that did it? ("extremely worse"/"extreme increase")

Around the Network

Abortions should be encouraged for people that can't support or don't want kids. Or would just be terrible parents.

There are too many unwanted kids in the world. There are way too many people period, but the crime reduction in the 90's was thought to be caused by the improving economy and a by product of abortion becoming legal everywhere after Row v Wade.

People want to make abortion illegal to punish women for having sex. Women often have spontaneous abortions, and most women lose their first pregnancy and most don't even know it. It's a natural way the body tries to make sure it only bring in healthy people.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Soleron said:

I disagree that the act of having sex alone commits you to supporting any resulting child. For either sex.

This is unfortunate, yes, but not something to be solved with a Responsibility Hammer. I think enacting laws to make society look like you want is worse than the alternative.

e.g. we should ban alcohol because some people might drink-drive
e.g. we should ban P2P protocols because some people might use it to share copyrighted files
e.g. we should ban public protesting because it might lead to violence

Now, I agree it's consistent to hold those views. I just don't believe you get a desirable society with such bans.

[Jay's text]

That's not a problem for the government to solve.

Disagree. People aren't not-having-sex because of child support concerns. For example, legalising drugs doesn't increase drug use. 

I disagree with your premise that undesirable behaviour would measurably decrease.

AND I disagree that, even if it DOESdecrease, that's not a good reason to do it. I think the government effectively punishing sex is worse than the societal consequences of them not.

Again, I don't think that would happen, and I think if it did happen it's not for the government to reduce via laws anyway.

I'm confused as to why you think using the law as a blunt instrument to create the society you want is an ethical, good or practical idea.

Your thought process:

- Here's what society is now
- Here's what I want it to look like
- Legislate from A to B

I understand that. But this is the kind of logic used to take away all kinds of freedoms, and ultimately even you don't get what you want. I think people should be given the choice to make the wrong choice.

I have a question for you. Can you point to any examples of, social freedoms having been increased, there being runaway negative consequences for the country that did it? ("extremely worse"/"extreme increase")

1. I knew you would disagree with me. But I was hoping you would answer my question regarding when people should be held accountable for their actions. I argue that people should be held accountable for the consequences of their actions if, while performing the action, they were aware of the possibility of those consequences. You do not agree with this. So I want to know when you think people should be held accountable for their actions, as well as well this interpretation is superior to mine.

2. The difference between my idea and your examples is the fact that my ideas are not preventing choice; the laws you listed prevents choice. I agree that people should have the choice to have as much unprotected sex as they want.  I stress the enforcement of accountability for the consequences of those choices (because of point 1). For example, getting drunk should not be illegal; however, getting drunk doesn’t suddenly mean people should not be held accountable for their actions.

3. Actually, I would say a vast majority of men who don’t have (unprotected) sex do so because of pregnancies – and the responsibilities it brings – and STDs. Therefore, I argue that by removing a significant deterrent of unprotected sex (responsibilities from pregnancies), then there would be an increase in that activity. Do you not agree with this?

Further, I don’t believe your drug-use example applies. But it’s not necessary to elaborate on unless you disagree with the above paragraph.

Note that in this point, I am not arguing why responsibility should be enforced (I do that in point 1). This section of my post is simply an argument against your assertion that “unlimited consensual sex without legal consequences” is a “principle worth building our society on.” Again, this does not serve as support for my argument of responsibility, but is simply a refutation to the end of your previous post.

4. The rest of your post seems to hinge upon a misinterpretation of my point. You are stating that people should have social freedoms and choice, but this is something I never argued against. People should be able to have as much as unprotected sex as they want. I don’t have a problem with that. However, those same people should have to accept responsibility for their choice to have unprotected sex. This is not about punishing them or even preventing unprotected sex. It’s about enforcing accountability when the parties involved where aware of the implications of their actions, as noted in point 1.

IMO, which is only an opinion.

Abortion cant be ruled by a hard and fast rule that covers everyone, each case should be based on the individual circumstances.

Though I dont like the idea of aborting a life, there are circumstances in a certain persons situation where such an action may be the best outcome for everyone.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

wangjingwanjia said:
I would just like to fill in that abortion is solely up to the woman, it's her body and should not be decided by any politician what she should do or do not with her body. She may discuss the matter with her partner/husband/one-night-stand/rapist, but in the end it's her body.

How many are due to irresponsible sex by consenting adults? The majority in the west I would say, in Africa and other places it's the contrary.

Not to sound harsh here but If the woman wants the kid (in case it was an "accident") and the man does NOT but the woman says  "Ill get it anyway" then she should take care of the kid by herself (financially etc) and the man should not be forced to do so.

A man should also not be allowed to "demand" the kid if the woman does not want it.

So when this happens then I agree the woman alone should decide. When whe was raped then she obviously has the right to decide and noone should tell her what to do.

You know you can always cancel the "preorder". 

Soleron said:
ninetailschris said:

If we are talking morality. Then how cheap or expensive it is to do doesn't matter.

Your missing the point. Why is your morality more true than mine if its subjective. Your reasoning is that you prefer if we didn't kill by how it socially benefits society and what I am saying is the opposite. So, tell me why it simply isn't neutral opinion. I believe mothers have the right to kill there children 1-5 years old. They are the ones who gave life not the government. I think we can both agree that only difference between our opinions is personal feelings/reasoning. Kinda like is blue a better color than red. There really isn't any difference.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max