By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Of course Xbox One can do 1080p, 60fps, you guys are crazy

Adinnieken said:
manny10032 said:

So why are the PS4 versions of those games better?

PS4 and Xbone have the same architecture based of x86.

Developers are coding closer to hardware on the PS4 than they are with the Xbox One.  The PS4's GPU is an AMD GPU without any functional changes from what AMD designed.  To take advantage of the features of the Xbox One's hardware, you have to use the Xbox One's APIs.  The Xbox One's GPU in order to get the best performance requires taking advantage of the eSRAM.  You can develop without using the eSRAM but you're not getting the performance level you would get using it. 

It's had been widely reported that Microsoft had been working actively to improve the performance of their graphical API late in the development cycle of the console.  Most third-party developers/publishers were ready with their code long before Microsoft was finished with theirs. 

My guess is that the changes were significant enough that just recompiling with the latest version of the API wasn't going to improve the performance.  In order to do that developers would need to R&D the code to ensure it worked correctly and offered both the performance and graphical fidelity that they wanted.

Once those changes get implemented into the game engines, my guess is that you'll see fewer and fewer differences between the consoles graphical fidelity.  Until then, as with the PS3 and Xbox 360, there will be games that shine on one console and not the other.

No amount of optimizing is going to magically make the X1 video card better...nor make up for better memory bandwidth. Ps4 will egt more optimized and better as time goes on. The gap gets bigger as true next gen games rerally start pushing the GPU's.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
manny10032 said:

So why are the PS4 versions of those games better?

PS4 and Xbone have the same architecture based of x86.

Developers are coding closer to hardware on the PS4 than they are with the Xbox One.  The PS4's GPU is an AMD GPU without any functional changes from what AMD designed.  To take advantage of the features of the Xbox One's hardware, you have to use the Xbox One's APIs.  The Xbox One's GPU in order to get the best performance requires taking advantage of the eSRAM.  You can develop without using the eSRAM but you're not getting the performance level you would get using it. 

It's had been widely reported that Microsoft had been working actively to improve the performance of their graphical API late in the development cycle of the console.  Most third-party developers/publishers were ready with their code long before Microsoft was finished with theirs. 

My guess is that the changes were significant enough that just recompiling with the latest version of the API wasn't going to improve the performance.  In order to do that developers would need to R&D the code to ensure it worked correctly and offered both the performance and graphical fidelity that they wanted.

Once those changes get implemented into the game engines, my guess is that you'll see fewer and fewer differences between the consoles graphical fidelity.  Until then, as with the PS3 and Xbox 360, there will be games that shine on one console and not the other.

I Agree with you, but you have to understand that the PS4 is not going to stay stagnant. Optimization is going to be greater every time and its going to take advantage of the hardware. So I think that there will always be a gap between the 2 systems. 

globalisateur said:
Guys you can't compare 2 very different games.

- Ryse is a 900p26fps god of war in rather limited levels with scripted cameras.
- KZ is a 1080p35fps shooter in a first person view in semi-open world with great draw distance. (Single Player).

When God of war at 1080p40fps will be released on PS4, we could compare objectively the 2 games...Maybe Ryse 2 will be out.

Precisely.

Comparing the graphics of two entirely different games to foretell the console's power is bogus.  If you care about the most beautiful graphics then it doesn't make sense to defend the weaker GPU.  Both KZ and Ryse would be best on PS4.

My 8th gen collection

With regard the ps3 and xbox 360 the developers spent a lot more time on the ps3 versions of games as there was a huge learning curve to understanding the cell processor. Later games started matching xbox 360 and games written from the ground up for ps3 were stronger. Such was the reality when the Xbox 360 was easier to develop for. The cell processor is powerful but needs huge optmisation to work well.

This time around the Xbox One is getting much more development time as it needs much more optimisation to match PS4 and the reality is it can't. It's failing to match the ps4. This isn't because it is fundamentally more powerful and it has as steep learning curve its because it has a compromised design with ESRAM used to assist the console with regard memory bandwidth.

For people comparing the wii u with xbox one you have to factor in that console is really only as powerful as the last gen consoles overall. Even with 32MB of embedded memory it is still struggling to match Xbox 360 and PS3 and that is with a more advanced graphics architecture. Yes much of that is down to the weak cpu and low bandwidth DDR memory. Nintendo go cheap on their hardware, pricing it down to the very minimum cost. The wii u represents a design that provides high performance for each $ of manufacturing cost. The end result is a console that is struggling to match the old generation 360 and PS3 models. Microsoft choose to cost reduce their design for maximum profit. Not in the same way as Nintendo but still a much weaker spec than ps4.

This will not end well for Xbox One. As we go through the year we will see the PS4 outperforming Xbox One comfortably. Frankly its a much better, more powerful design. No fanboy nonsense will change that.

Ultimately though both xbox one and ps4 are capable of the same games. It's really graphic fidelity that will excel on ps4. Most will be happy with Xbox one graphics and if the Xbox one gets the best exclusive games that may enable it to sell better in the long term, at least in the USA.

I'm not a fanboy I intend to buy both consoles when they each have a good range of games I want to play. I think for many though the issue is Xbox One pricing. I can't get my head around why people would pay so much for that level of performance. It's not something I can understand. I'm certainly not going to pay more for a Xbox One than I pay for a PS4.

I'm looking forward to owning both consoles at some point.

ICStats said:
globalisateur said:
Guys you can't compare 2 very different games.

- Ryse is a 900p26fps god of war in rather limited levels with scripted cameras.
- KZ is a 1080p35fps shooter in a first person view in semi-open world with great draw distance. (Single Player).

When God of war at 1080p40fps will be released on PS4, we could compare objectively the 2 games...Maybe Ryse 2 will be out.

Precisely.

Comparing the graphics of two entirely different games to foretell the console's power is bogus.  If you care about the most beautiful graphics then it doesn't make sense to defend the weaker GPU.  Both KZ and Ryse would be best on PS4.

And both would be far better on a high-end PC, 4K and 60FPS easily. If you really care about graphics, stop buying consoles and go get a nice PC.