By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One outsells PS4 at Target despite being $100 more?

scat398 said:
Aura7541 said:
scat398 said:

sure you do. 

oh and if we are going by the "sold out" logic anyone can drop 800 for PS4 bundle right now at gamestop and get it, same with the Xbone.

Sold out of actual non-bundled box units is what we are talking about, and yes Xbone sold out of those day one just like PS4, but can you do haters gonna hate right?

Okay.... I still don't see how that refutes the fact that the XBO did not sell all of its initial stock prior to Black Friday. As Jeremy Conrad said on Twitter, there were still a bunch of unsold "Day One" XBO's where in contrast, all of the "Day One" PS4's were sold out. I'm just saying things the way they are, but coming from your reaction, you appear to be quite displeased with the results. Haters gonna hate right?

Well when the numbers come out we will know for sure, but NPD will give us the answer...no hate from me I'm glad both consoles have done well not sure why sony fans are so upset by the success of microsoft though.

It's already a given that the PS4 is outselling the XBO in the US. Now, it's more of a question of how many more units the PS4 has sold.

Around the Network

It is obvious MS lied about their 1 million, it is Impossible to know sales before 24 hours is up when you are launching in numerous european countries. MS did not sell out all it's day 1 stock, especially in europe. Sony had a lot more stock to ship launching in a lot more countries, and will have outsold MS in the US and UK, despite being supply constrained this week in the US.

Not hard to outsell PS4 when they are much harder to find.

I was speaking to my friend who works at a game store and they were getting regular shipments of Xbox One... not a lot but they get them so as long as they have them and sell them they they are "sold out" but keep getting replenished.

My mother was asking me about the next gen consoles, and I was explaining the pros and cons to them of each and how the PS4 was the expected winner right now, and she was convinced it was the Xbox One before that. Apparently while the gamers all think PS4 all the way, the casual is simply listening to the comparison between feature lists.

Afterall, the only real thing the PS4 has on the Xbox one is consumer reputation. In the casuals eyes, they are looking at the kinect as a plus not a minus.

Don't start on graphics though... The difference is absolutely minuscule. I am still trying to convince my family that there was a difference when they upgraded to an HD tv (yes we have an HDMI cable and the HD Channels)... Only reason any of you even notice that stuff is because you look for it.

Probably been mentioned for every 3rd post or something along the same lines - but this is merely anecdotal evidence of supply. My interpretation is that PS4 has sold more all up on its day of release and there were few available in time for Black Friday. There was also anecdotal evidence that not all X1 supplies sold through after its release day with minor reports telling of bountiful stock in certain vendors around NYC.

So basically, these bigger retailers who had larger stock delivered with the first shipment, had many left over.

Around the Network

by William D'Angelo, posted 4 hours ago / 2,912 Views
Black Friday was on November 29 and the first sales report from InfoScout for video games have come. The Xbox One was the bestselling video game home console at Walmart and Target. Microsoft's 8th generation console accounted for 31 percent of the console sales at those retailers. This is just more than double what the PlayStation 4 managed to sell. The PS4 had a 15 percent marketshare. The Wii U lagged behind with just 6 percent.

The Xbox 360 was the bestselling 7th generation console with 30 percent of the total consoles sold on Black Friday. The PlayStation 3 had a 15 percent marketshare and the Wii just one percent. The strong Xbox 360 sales were due to a sale at Walmart of just $99. The PlayStation 3 was on sale for $149.

Infoscout stated that the gap between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 is due to how heavily supply constrained the PS4 has been since it launched on November 15. The Xbox One was also the sixth bestselling item at Walmart, behind the 16GB Apple iPad Mini, an HP laptop, as well as three TVs.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251418/xbox-one-outsells-ps4-at-walmart-and-target-on-black-friday/

OH NO Xbox one to overtake PS4 in USA before Christmas...

I will be surprised if the "official" VG chartz number for USA Black friday week is 2:1 Xb one:PS4.

By the looks of the Infoscout methodology the precision of their estimate is worse than VGC. They rely on consumers sending them images of their receipts and there doesn't appear to be much statistical rigor to their. The only thing they have over VGC is that they pretty much get real time immediate results.

As statistically valid sample of the size infoscout obtains would actually produce very reliable results, but their methodology looks amateurish and simply designed to get fast results.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
I will be surprised if the "official" VG chartz number for USA Black friday week is 2:1 Xb one:PS4.

By the looks of the Infoscout methodology the precision of their estimate is worse than VGC. They rely on consumers sending them images of their receipts and there doesn't appear to be much is no statistical rigor to their. The only thing they have over VGC is that they pretty much get real time immediate results.

As statistically valid sample of the size infoscout obtains would actually produce very reliable results, but their methodology looks amateurish and simply designed to get fast results.

Exactly. I bet when numbers come out, they will show the 360, and possibly the PS3, will have outsold the One. Then we will probably  no longer hear from this Infoscout again. 

Adinnieken said:
Neither console sold out.

What we don't know is how many units were available on launch day for each console at each retailer. Sony sold nearly 1M units on the PS4s launch day. Microsoft sold 1.2M units on launch day.

If you want to make the argument that Microsoft had consoles left, fine. Microsoft also shipped more units total and they also sold more units on launch day. There's no way Microsoft could have sold 1.2M units without also have shipped more units.

So if Microsoft had more units in the field, than they'd have more units to sell. Whether they sold them on launch day or Black Friday.

That is demonstrably and patently false. You will see, once the weekly figures for BF week have been posted here that PS4 has massively outsold and outshipped Xb one. You are quoting 1.2M for Xb one launch day therefore you are referencing global sales / shipments (or at least sales / shipments to all markets in which the respective consoles are selling). So I too am talking global shipments

We already know PS4 outsold Xb one on their respective launch weekends in the UK by as much as 100K units. Adding the first full week of Xb one sales will probably not = PS4's first 48 hours there. It's undeniable that Sony has shipped more PS4's total than MS has shipped Xb ones.

Now if you want to restrict the discussion to North America, or even more specifically USA, we already know that leading in to BF week PS4 had a 300K lead in sold consoles, and there were clearly more shipped consoles than sold because Sony has sold >0 PS4s on BF week. So it's likely that PS4 had a shipped lead going in to BF week. And if Xb one sold 600K on BF (which I think is realistic, possibly a bit high, because that would mean Xb one + 360 = 1.2M which seems a bit much) that means, according to infoscout %, PS4 sold 300K. So factoring in the lead PS4 had going in it means after BF week PS4 and Xb one will have roughly even sales. And if Xb one has outshipped PS4 in the USA to date then it's probably not by a whole lot, because if PS4 can still sell 300K on BF week at the same time as launching globally it means they are still shipping decent amounts into the USA. So I'm guessing PS4 shipments into USA are comparable, to Xb one's. After all Sony doesn't want to be caught with its pants down in the most important Christmas market of them all.

Instead Sony are leaving markets like mine high and dry with ABSOLUTELY no more stock available anywhere until at least January.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Instead Sony are leaving markets like mine high and dry with ABSOLUTELY no more stock available anywhere until at least January.

Just curious. Which market are you in?

I'm located in Australia and if you order a PS4 now, you have to wait until at least January.

Ps4's 1st day orders were sold out a few months ago here. The 2nd pre-order for "before Xmas" was sold out at least 2 -3 weeks before launch. 

On the 22nd, when X1 was released here, I could go in and buy an X1 one week after if I wanted to.  I can still buy one now if I want to. MS are advertising the X1 here in prime time TV. I don't think I have seen one advert for the PS4 here.