By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would Nintendo have to do to capture some of Sony and Microsoft's audience

Seece said:
Mensrea said:
Seece said:

Both MS and Sony have supported their consoles way beyond expectations. (should remember that 3 is a year older) but yeah, I reckon Nintendo could get away with a 4 year lifespan with WiiU, then supporting it a further year alongside their new console.

Heck they only really supported Wii from 06 - 10 anyway.

And some of those years with the Wii were not even truly supported. I swear, the Wii had some of the worst years in Nintendo history. 

I lost a lot of trust when Nintendo completely abandoned the Wii. 

I'd like to know what the heck their dev teams were doing 11 - 13 0_o maybe HD development has been difficult for them?

Nintendo moved significant resources into the 3ds during 11 and 12 because of the poor 3ds launch ( eg. Retro giving a hand in developing mario kart 7). Handheld is their bread n butter, so it was imperative that this business thrived. However, as a consequence, in conjunction with the learning curve in hd developing, we got all these delays in 13 for the Wii U.

Now, the delays would have given the Wii U more momentum post launch, howeve i highly doubt it would improve the WIi U's situation. There is something more deep seated with the WIi U, which is causing the slow sales. Lack of appeal, lack of must have games, lack of mature ips. Lacking the X factor.... Maybe?... Perhaps, Nintendo dropping the Wii so early broke the trust of consumers, and found that the ps3/360 a better investment. Now finding the ps4 and x one a better investment over the Wii U. Maybe a lesson learnt by the consumers. Whatever it is, it is almost at a  point where the Wii U is a write off. Perhaps even the successor will have the same fate. 

In my opinion, from here nintendo needs to do a few things that will set themselve well for next gen.

1. Create some new mature IPS that will cater to the bro crowd, they need an unchareted, last of us and gears of war. Third parties are not going to do it, might as well do it themselves.

2. Create more multiplayer centric games that aren't Mario Kart and Super Smash

3. Embrace online more

4. Create an exciting productive and build up hype for it like sony.

5. Most importantly keep supporting the Wii U with excellent games, build back the trust

Around the Network
Seece said:
Mensrea said:
Seece said:

Both MS and Sony have supported their consoles way beyond expectations. (should remember that 3 is a year older) but yeah, I reckon Nintendo could get away with a 4 year lifespan with WiiU, then supporting it a further year alongside their new console.

And some of those years with the Wii were not even truly supported. I swear, the Wii had some of the worst years in Nintendo history. 

I'd like to know what the heck their dev teams were doing 11 - 13 0_o maybe HD development has been difficult for them?

They were hard at work making 3DS games. 

Anyway, the Sony and MS crowd are hardly worth fighting for. They're over served as it is. Hardware manufacturers struggle to break even and software publishers perish when their budgets can't keep pace. How to court them? Burn money faster then the competition is willing to.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Nothing.. because nothing can be done. These Sony and MS people will not buy a Nintendo console no matter how much they try to please them. These "hardcore" bitched about Nintendo "abandoning them" with the Wii. So what does Nintendo do? They make a console entirely designed for them, the Wii U, and they still refuse to buy it, and the Wii U now is an utter sales disaster (see sig). Nintendo is best off abandoning them once again and going full on for the old school/mainstream/non gamer crowd as they did with the NES and Wii (which also, not coincidently, happen to be the most succesful Nintendo consoles). When Nintendo tries to go the niche/hardcore route and attract the stubborn Sony and MS crowd, as they did with N64, Gamecube, and Wii U, they fail.

famousringo said:
Seece said:
Mensrea said:
Seece said:

They were hard at work making 3DS games. 

Anyway, the Sony and MS crowd are hardly worth fighting for. They're over served as it is. Hardware manufacturers struggle to break even and software publishers perish when their budgets can't keep pace. How to court them? Burn money faster then the competition is willing to.

Actually both Sony and MS are making small profits on their hardware. Nintendo is not.

I think it's clear where the money is this gen. (Hint: Not with Wii U)

It worked on the Wii when they launched with Twilight Princess. Those first few years with Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario Galaxy, and Brawl, they were definitely getting a slice of some of Sony and Microsoft's pie.

Around the Network

They should just release their games on other platforms now that their IP's are still in demand and make billions.

AnthonyW86 said:
They should just release their games on other platforms now that their IP's are still in demand and make billions.

Keep dreaming

Partner with Microsoft.

They say they´r not competing with Sony and Microsoft then.... then shouldn´t be worried about getting their audiences. Instead, they must think what they must to do KEEP their audience.

I believe that it doesn´t matter what Nintendo does, it will never be able to get the attention of Xbox and Sony fans for a simple reason: Nintendo do not market games the same way they do. Nintendo do not take the same paradigm.

Sony and MS are tottally engaged in gaming as an individual experience, focusing online multiplayer and mature content. Nintendo is more committed to gaming as a social experience rather than a solitary one, then they focus on local multiplayer and family content.

Two different approaches.

Drop the "We Want To Be The Disney Of Video Games" crap.  What they've done since Reggie delivered his "We're about taking names and kicking asses" speech really hasn't measured up to what I would have thought such a proclamation would have meant at all.  Imagine if Goldberg showed up to his matches in a pink tutu and just pranced around like a ballerina.