By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry Next-Gen Face-Off: Battlefield 4

Tagged games:

Most xbox fans are going to downplay it but in their hearts and in their minds they know the truth hurts.

Around the Network

Wow. People are in serious denial here.

The PS4 version is pushing 20%more pixels and running consistantly at 10FPS higher than the XONE version.PS4 version is running at roughly high 50's and touching 60...XONE is running at high 40's touching 50. Thats another 20% performance advantage to the PS4.

This is absolutely nothing like last gen where image quality and performance was pretty much always within 5% of each other.

Its also not a matter of opinion whether or not you will see a difference...you will see a difference on a 1080p screen end of story. Any PC gamer knows this.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

What happened to the crushed blacks, oversaturated colours and sharpening filter that apparently, to some people, made the Xbox One the winner in the previous analysis?

If I told you two years ago that PS4 games will run at 1080p ~60FPS and Xbox720 will run games at 720p ~60FPS i dont think anyone would believe me..and id probably get blasted by Xbox fans.

"No ways MS will allow that kind of performance gap"

etc.

Well here we are....and now everyone is like "well that doesnt make much of a difference" ya right. I got a feeling that even if the PS4 version was identical to the PC version on highest settings and had a GPU equivalent to a 7970, some Xbox fans on this site will still be claiming that it doesnt make much difference.

I don't get why fans are defending shitty hardware...im pretty upset with Sony for having pretty mediocre hardware in the PS4...I mean a 7870 should have been the bare minimum and not a gimped version at that. Yet we have a gimped 7870 on the PS4 and a shitty 7770 equivalent gpu on the Xbone. How are you not upset? Or are you just unaware of what shitty hardware is?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

What differences there are aren't THAT noticeable. If I say play the game on my friend's ps4, come back to my xbox one I really wouldn't be like "WOAH THIS IS FLICKERING TOO FUCKING MUCH!" So at the very least I would say owners of both systems should get the ps4 version of it. but there is no obvious difference aside from LOOKING FOR DIFFERENCES side by side.

actually playing the game for people who enjoy battle field (I don't ) The enjoyment would be the same. unless part of your enjoyment is the thought that "I'm playing a better version of this game than that other video game system....but not quite as good as PC".....

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
pezus said:
Shinobi-san said:
Wow. People are in serious denial here.

The PS4 version is pushing 20%more pixels and running consistantly at 10FPS higher than the XONE version.PS4 version is running at roughly high 50's and touching 60...XONE is running at high 40's touching 50. Thats another 20% performance advantage to the PS4.

This is absolutely nothing like last gen where image quality and performance was pretty much always within 5% of each other.

Its also not a matter of opinion whether or not you will see a difference...you will see a difference on a 1080p screen end of story. Any PC gamer knows this.

~56% more pixels, no? (900p = 1600*900 = 1440000. 720p = 1280*720 = 921600. 1440000/921600 = 1.56)

Ah shit i forgot about that...

Sorry was trying to make the XONE look a bit better

whats the worth of those numbers? doesn't look like a 50% difference despite what those numbers are composed of.

If I take a video or image and optimize it to 50% quality, the difference wouldn't be anything like the difference between these games.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Too_Talls said:
What differences there are aren't THAT noticeable. If I say play the game on my friend's ps4, come back to my xbox one I really wouldn't be like "WOAH THIS IS FLICKERING TOO FUCKING MUCH!" So at the very least I would say owners of both systems should get the ps4 version of it. but there is no obvious difference aside from LOOKING FOR DIFFERENCES side by side.

actually playing the game for people who enjoy battle field (I don't ) The enjoyment would be the same. unless part of your enjoyment is the thought that "I'm playing a better version of this game than that other video game system....but not quite as good as PC".....

This is wrong. Have you actually gone to your friend and tried the PS4 version?

PS4 is pushing 56% more pixels and performs 20% better. How much more of a difference do you want to actually be able to see a difference?

This is like the same argument console guys use agaisnt PC guys last gen...."The PS3 version is good enough..blah blah blah"

Good enough my ass. Once you try gaming at 1080p at 60FPS with all the bells and whistles you wont go back unless you have friends begging you to play some GTA 5 Online with them

Not to mention that if you buying a next gen console you are spending a hell of a lot of money. For what? A compromised experience? Thats bullshit.

Too_Talls said:
whats the worth of those numbers? doesn't look like a 50% difference despite what those numbers are composed of.

If I take a video or image and optimize it to 50% quality, the difference wouldn't be anything like the difference between these games.

The problem here is that people are looking for differences on a youtube video on a PC screen...thats completely defeating the purpose of native resolution and high image quality running at 60FPS.

Too_Talls said:

YOU dont see the difference doesnt mean the differene is not obvious. ( because it is)

It is shimmering to death on Xbox One when you're outside.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m