By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-3 And Mario 3D World Bomb In Japan (Also Vita TV Bomba!)

To be fair, 3D Marios didn't really enhance hardware sales all that much in previous releases. It's a shame though, Japan likes cats....I think.

Dat Raitoningu Ritanzu, I didn't expect Lightning to sell that little. I guess Japan's tired of her thundering roar.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20131127061/

Looks like a 277k opening for Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns and just shy of 100k for Mario 3D World. 

Ouch. I think both companies' are guilty over oversaturating these brands with too many games in a short period of time. 

Too bad for Mario 3D World though, that's genuinely a great game. Also people holding out hope for a big hardware bump for the Wii U -- nope.

21k this week only. Vita dropped like a freaking rock too, lol, dat Vita TV bomba, 7k this week. 

You could also say the PS3 dropped like a rock. Only the 3DS has done well this week.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

I can debate all, but the Vita TV is hardly a bomb as its adding sales to the Vita. Its not a single platform.

softcoregamer82 said:

I also wonder with these Vita TV sales if it's certain to come to the west.

Unless they make all the Vita games compatible with the VTV. I'm starting to doubt it. We will see what they do when the PS4 is launched in Japan because right now its better to buy the handheld rather than the micro-console.

Anfebious said:
So I was wondering. Is this the end of the Wii U in japan? Can we call it a "dead" system there?

Are you serious? Let's see how Mario legs it out over Christmas before we jump to any conclusions. Of course it's worrying to see such a mediocre opening by a Mario game, but these games have always sold very well in the long run as opposed to most games which are normally very frontloaded in Japan.

Think the US/Europe has few Wii U games? It's been far worse in Japan. If Nintendo decide to start releasing their games on a regular basis and if it gets support from Japanese developers then the situation will get a lot better. Nintendo can also give it a price cut to improve sales.

Around the Network

A 3D Mario not a system seller? How shocking.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

You're telling me a 3D Mario game didn't chart well in Japan. Seriously? [/sarcasm]

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

What's sad is that I think the Wii U was made specifically to cater to the Japanese. They have limited space, so it's small and quiet. They often have one tv, so it has the second screen, hell they love hand helds so it practically is one! They did all this to appeal to a Japanese market, and because of it it is less powerful and more expensive then it could be. These things do not appeal to the West, yet they add to it's lack of appeal to a Western audience, and they are still not helping at all in Japan!

mjo011 said:
Anfebious said:
So I was wondering. Is this the end of the Wii U in japan? Can we call it a "dead" system there?

Are you serious? Let's see how Mario legs it out over Christmas before we jump to any conclusions. Of course it's worrying to see such a mediocre opening by a Mario game, but these games have always sold very well in the long run as opposed to most games which are normally very frontloaded in Japan.

Think the US/Europe has few Wii U games? It's been far worse in Japan. If Nintendo decide to start releasing their games on a regular basis and if it gets support from Japanese developers then the situation will get a lot better. Nintendo can also give it a price cut to improve sales.

Let's hope the Wii U can pick up. I want the system to do well but it seems to struggle a lot lately. I have hope for it but it dwindles with every bomb it gets -.-

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

It looks like.

And... I said it, it was floping when the 20% sell throught numbers were given, yet some of you judged me.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile