By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-3 And Mario 3D World Bomb In Japan (Also Vita TV Bomba!)

Nintentacle said:
It wasn't even a full week for 3D World. I would wait until the next update until I call it a flop.

Why does this argument come up every time a game sells less than people want.  Most games are released on Thursday or later in Japan.  This isn't some sort of anomaly for 3D World.

outlawauron said:

Did they pick and choose trackers or did they use Famitsu for all (since they choose them for this chart).

They are all Famitsu numbers.

Around the Network

Turns out it had three days. Derp on my part!

Anyway if this continues I would not bother heavy investing in Japan as there is huge decline in home consoles if your not otaku game. Every majora Japanese company has said this. Ps4 will face worst with its price and coming off the ps3 which is at 9 million. Vita will have more japanese support than both companies. And 3ds will consume even the vita when comes to constant relevant games.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

I don't think these are bad numbers for SM3DW. If you consider the Wii U installed base, probably the attach rate is one of the biggest in Nintendo Home Consoles history. Keep that in mind also for the Global Numbers; SM3DW wont have a global oppening as high as other 3D Marios, but with just 4 Million Wii U's in the market, the percentage of people getting Mario in relation to the total number of Wii U's will be higher than the one of other Marios. I think this the key to understand the situation. In fact, I would say that selling 106.000 copies in Japan, almost 1/3rd of what Galaxy 2 accomplished on Wii (a home console that, at the launch of SMG2, had already sold dozens of millions in that country), is a great start.

I hope it bombs, Nintendo needs to step its game up....perhaps this will get their shit together

Zarkho said:

I don't think these are bad numbers for SM3DW. If you consider the Wii U installed base, probably the attach rate is one of the biggest in Nintendo Home Consoles history. Keep that in mind also for the Global Numbers; SM3DW wont have a global oppening as high as other 3D Marios, but with just 4 Million Wii U's in the market, the percentage of people getting Mario in relation to the total number of Wii U's will be higher than the one of other Marios. I think this the key to understand the situation. In fact, I would say that selling 106.000 copies in Japan, almost 1/3rd of what Galaxy 2 accomplished on Wii (a home console that, at the launch of SMG2, had already sold dozens of millions in that country), is a great start.

The attach rate is lower than SM64, Sunshine, SM64DS, and SM3DL.  It only beats the Galaxy games.  Also the Wii has only crossed one dozen million units in Japan.  Not even a baker's dozen yet.  It was not at dozens of millions when Galaxy 2 came out.  Also it was a different market.  Many people were buying a Wii on the back of Wii Sports, people who might not have ever played Mario before.  In contrast a Mario game is by far the best seller in Japan on the Wii U, and they seem to have little of that casual audience left.

It sold roughly similar to Pikmin and the hardware boost was smaller.  It is a terrible start.  Nobody would have predicted numbers this low a year ago.  Even a few days ago when we knew about the low COMG preorders and the 20% first day sellthrough, the majority of people were still predicting higher.

Around the Network

LR is not a spin-off.

Soundwave said:
OneTwoThree said:
Soundwave said:
I think Nintendo was hoping the combo of NSMBU + Wii Party U hardware bundles + Wii Sports Club + Wii Fit U trial + Mario 3D World + Taiko Drum Master would cause a large boost and act as kind of a "relaunch" for the system in Japan. They were wrong. 

Basically they were banking on the "Wii casual" + Mario fan audience carrying them this holiday. Casuals have betrayed them, I think that much is obvious. Only reason Wii Party U is putting up respectable numbers in Japan is because it comes bundled with the system whether you want it or not. 

As a standalone release it's a bomb. 

Yeah SM3DW is kinda bomb-ish but it can't do any better as long as the system isn't more widespread. This year's bundles don't cut it. Noone cares for Wii Sports / Fit / Party anymore, and it comes across as desparate to throw out so many different bundles. Even NSMBU... I first played it last weekend, and I was surprisingly underwhelmed. N have focused to much on repeating what worked last time around. Big fan of NSMBWii here, yet NSMBU just felt like I've done it all before. Based on just a few levels of world 3 in co-op, mind - so my opinion could change.

Kart is the one franchise that will just keep selling. Cause once you're hooked (and everybody is) you just want more tracks. It's going to be the #1 Wii U game. 

With no Fit/Sports crazes the system is just another GameCube. Mario Kart will provide a boost but not the one Nintendo fans think. Nintendo doesn't have anything on the table that appeals to non-Mario fans in a mass market fashion. 

They bet the farm on the casual gamer coming back to them (at least 50-60% of them), they weren't counting on that market completely collapsing on them. That's the whole crux of the Wii U, if they knew that audience wasn't coming back, they would've probably made a very different system. 

A system I would have LOVED to buy day one. The moment they decide to come out swinging again and make a modern SNES? I'm down. Until then, it's one of the other two systems and a 3DS (or whatever handheld they release next).

ninetailschris said:
Turns out it had three days. Derp on my part!

Anyway if this continues I would not bother heavy investing in Japan as there is huge decline in home consoles if your not otaku game. Every majora Japanese company has said this. Ps4 will face worst with its price and coming off the ps3 which is at 9 million. Vita will have more japanese support than both companies. And 3ds will consume even the vita when comes to constant relevant games.

That's a bit premature don't you think? PS4 is launching way better than PS3 and i reckon sales will be closer to that of the PS2 than the PS3. No reason why this would be very different in Japan. Yes gaming has changed in Japan but i can see PS4 sell 15 million at least in total, maybe more. Escpecially since there is no fast selling Nintendo Wii to compete with in the beginning. In fact, there really is no competition at all. And just to compare that, PS1 did 19 million, ps2 23 million.