By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-3 And Mario 3D World Bomb In Japan (Also Vita TV Bomba!)

WagnerPaiva said:
Soundwave said:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20131127061/

Looks like a 277k opening for Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns and just shy of 100k for Mario 3D World. 

Ouch. I think both companies' are guilty over oversaturating these brands with too many games in a short period of time. 

Too bad for Mario 3D World though, that's genuinely a great game. Also people holding out hope for a big hardware bump for the Wii U -- nope.

21k this week only. Vita dropped like a freaking rock too, lol, dat Vita TV bomba, 7k this week. 

Not bad all for SM3dW, the install base for the WiiU probably is south from 1 million in Japan, at this rate, every WiiU owner from ther will buy the game till march, and would not surprise me if the actual install base go up 200k or 300k because of the game in the long run.

For FFXIII-3 , AMAZING sales for the second spin off from the, arguably, the worst game in the FF series in years, would not surprise me if this spin off broke the 1 million mark eventually.

For Vita TV, what do you expect? it is a guizmo, nothing more, if it sells a million worldwide Sony should be more than happy

This is either brilliant sarcasm or may be the most optimistic comment I have ever read. You have managed to turn the collapse in sales of two pillars of gaming into a positive.

And in what alternate universe is a million consoles sold a good return in investment? That's virtual boy level of "success".

Around the Network
italo244 said:
First week of PSP Go was 30k
Secound week, i didnt found it
third week, 4k

If someone find week by week of PSP Go sales, SEND ME PLEASE

Someone on GAF had it at 15k

Legs, mario has them

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Anfebious said:
So I was wondering. Is this the end of the Wii U in japan? Can we call it a "dead" system there?

It will get 1-2 week spikes for Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but yeah, Nintendo may be out of bullets there otherwise. The sad thing is it seems like the Wii U was designed for the Japanese household (small, low electricity consumption in the wake of Japanese enegery conservation efforts, quasi-handheld like controller as the main novelty, 2D Mario, Monster Hunter, DQ, games near launch, etc.). 

I'll give Sony credit -- they had enough sense to forget about the Japanese market in designing the PS4 and make it for the US/Euro markets first.

PSVita really needs its own games, I don't think its had a strong excluisve in japan since Soul Sacrifice.

I wonder how tearaway will do when it releases in december...

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Anfebious said:
So I was wondering. Is this the end of the Wii U in japan? Can we call it a "dead" system there?

It will get 1-2 week spikes for Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but yeah, Nintendo may be out of bullets there otherwise. The sad thing is it seems like the Wii U was designed for the Japanese household (small, low electricity consumption in the wake of Japanese enegery conservation efforts, quasi-handheld like controller as the main novelty, 2D Mario, Monster Hunter, DQ, games near launch, etc.). 

Damn it's a shame but home consoles are not doing well in Japan either way. I think console gaming there as a whole is dying in Japan. Maybe the PS4 is different though.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I think the real dissapoitment is Taiko WiiU with only 20k (13th overall). The previous instalments of that series were a big  hit in Japan. 

For such a low install base, 100 k for only one day of sales for Super Mario 3D World doesn´t seems that bad. Yep, could be better, but it´s not a completely disaster. I wonder how many digital copies it may have sold. 

By now it´s the 2nd best opening for any WiiU game in Japan, just a little better than Pikmin 3. The 1st, obviously, is NSMBU, with 166k. Now, if it drops hard next week just like Pikmin 3, then it will be another bomb

As for Vita Tv, we all knew that was a weird idea. Only die-hard PS fans would buy that thing.

Soundwave said:

With no Fit/Sports crazes the system is just another GameCube. Mario Kart will provide a boost but not the one Nintendo fans think. Nintendo doesn't have anything on the table that appeals to non-Mario fans in a mass market fashion. 

They bet the farm on the casual gamer coming back to them (at least 50-60% of them), they weren't counting on that market completely collapsing on them. That's the whole crux of the Wii U, if they knew that audience wasn't coming back, they would've probably made a very different system. 

True, they need something new. For Sony and MS it's apparently working to have a bit of everything. And they're getting the 3rd party blockbusters (wonder if N is ever going to see a mainline GTA). It wasn't looking good for 360 and PS3 for some years, but in the end those systems had a good mix of everything - shootyshootyshoot shoot kill shoot, cinematic blockbusters, sports, casual games, multimedia, indie games.

acdcste said:
Wasn't the wii u under 10k last week, so it has doubled. Still poor sales granted but doubled week on week. And most people were predicting around 100k for mario in japan so not sure why you are so surprised?

You noticed it well. Hardware actually is up (it was something like 15k, actually).

Still, Nintendo could do a better job. WiiU has got bundles but no price cut as it got in the West. I dont understand why Nintendo doesn´t cut the price in Japan too. That would help a lot, specially considering that the game library for WiiU in Japan is even worse. Talk about serious mismanagement

The best the Wii U can hope for is an N64 situation, decent in NA and Europe, dead in Japan. I think the PS4 may also have a rough road. It's a tricky market.

I also wonder with these Vita TV sales if it's certain to come to the west.