By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 'PS4 Winning The War Against Xbox One' - Retailers

sales2099 said:
vkaraujo said:
I hope sony does win, but it is too early to talk about that.
PS4 had the best launch, but XONE also had a great one.

Maybe we should just be happy the industry is doing so well.

Nope, its pretty clear. Mainland Europe and Japan alone seal the deal.PS4 will win.

X1 will still sell reasonably well, make a profit, and everybody will win (except Nintendo lol). Least that is how things stand now.

If MS has the balls, they will release a $299 Kinect-less X1 alongside Halo 5 for Holiday 2014......then you got a real war on our hands

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Mark my words, Wii U is about to explode soon, the upcoming lineup looks great, once it gets a pricecut to $249 everyone will want it. Remember, it's not competing with PS4 and XO, so no matter how successful PS4 is, it changes nothing for Wii U. With the way PS4 dominates XO I can see Wii U selling more than XO. You can't allow your competitor to dominate you, because it's gonna be a landslide. MS has to put up a fight or we can see PS4 dominating it PS2 style. 

If PS4 becomes the obvious first option, the first console people want to pick up, most people won't consider XO as the second option, because it's too similar. Most games they already have on their PS4, it's just too expensive for the added quality. On the other hand Wii U is cheap and has an original lineup and will become the obvious second choice. That is why people thinking Wii U will be last this gen are jumping the gun. Soon MS may be watching Nintendo's back. I have full confidence in N.

Also - I don't think XO without Kinect will sell that much and change the game. Kinect seems to be a major point of emphasis of XO, the whole console is built around it. Such a console would probably share the fate of Wii U basic. Nobody is picking it up, because people don't want an inferior product. What is more, without Kinect you just get a weaker PS4 for the same price and a feeling of guilt that you're too cheap to get the full experience. MS is gonna experience just how hard it was for Sony to turn PS3 into what it is now.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network
Netyaroze said:
game_on said:
Libi said:
In my country it will be thounsands to zero, at least until the xbone arrives.
i take a look at preorders numbers today and we have 1899 in 120 stores.
I think in Portugal it will sell around 10k first weekend.

I would be surprised if 10.000 Portuguese have 399 to spare, at an unemployment rate of about 18%...

If 18% are unemployed there are still millions of working people. And I bet hundreds of thousands portugese people are middle class and do fine for themselfs. Those will  be able to pay 399 maybe ?

I really can`t imagine that there are not a measily 10k people able and willing to buy a PS4 in all of portugal.

well, if the company i work represents almost 40% market share in electronics and we have almost 2000 preorders, the rest will have around 3000, so the country may have 5k preorders. another 5k can be easily done in direct sales.

Its a poor country, but where i live (near Lisbon) if you go watch the trafic in a highway half of the cars are bmw´s, merc´s, audi´s. So, yes there´s hundreads of thousands portuguese who live well and like´s to show of.

Sorry for my english, :)

Scisca said:
sales2099 said:
vkaraujo said:
I hope sony does win, but it is too early to talk about that.
PS4 had the best launch, but XONE also had a great one.

Maybe we should just be happy the industry is doing so well.

Nope, its pretty clear. Mainland Europe and Japan alone seal the deal.PS4 will win.

X1 will still sell reasonably well, make a profit, and everybody will win (except Nintendo lol). Least that is how things stand now.

If MS has the balls, they will release a $299 Kinect-less X1 alongside Halo 5 for Holiday 2014......then you got a real war on our hands

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Mark my words, Wii U is about to explode soon, the upcoming lineup looks great, once it gets a pricecut to $249 everyone will want it. Remember, it's not competing with PS4 and XO, so no matter how successful PS4 is, it changes nothing for Wii U. With the way PS4 dominates XO I can see Wii U selling more than XO. You can't allow your competitor to dominate you, because it's gonna be a landslide. MS has to put up a fight or we can see PS4 dominating it PS2 style. 

If PS4 becomes the obvious first option, the first console people want to pick up, most people won't consider XO as the second option, because it's too similar. Most games they already have on their PS4, it's just too expensive for the added quality. On the other hand Wii U is cheap and has an original lineup and will become the obvious second choice. That is why people thinking Wii U will be last this gen are jumping the gun. Soon MS may be watching Nintendo's back. I have full confidence in N.

Also - I don't think XO without Kinect will sell that much and change the game. Kinect seems to be a major point of emphasis of XO, the whole console is built around it. Such a console would probably share the fate of Wii U basic. Nobody is picking it up, because people don't want an inferior product. What is more, without Kinect you just get a weaker PS4 for the same price and a feeling of guilt that you're too cheap to get the full experience. MS is gonna experience just how hard it was for Sony to turn PS3 into what it is now.

I think it's a bit foolish to think that a $100 cheaper xbox one won't move a significant amount of units compared to the xbox one in its current form and price.  Like you said, the Wii U and the X1/PS4 are competing for different audiences.  

What you observed with the Wii U Basic edition might not be the same one bit with what you might see with a kinect-less, $399 Xbox One.  And judging from a ton of feedback posts from nearly all social media websites, people are almost universally claiming to be holding out on a kinect-less cheaper Xbox One.  

The war isn't over until the end. Sony has won the battle.

Around the Network

The war is over when sony says it's over.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Even though I'm primarily a PlayStation gamer myself, these "Winning the war" quotes always make me chuckle. I'm pretty sure Germany were considered to be winning WWII in its first 2 weeks too :P

hadlee73 said:
Even though I'm primarily a PlayStation gamer myself, these "Winning the war" quotes always make me chuckle. I'm pretty sure Germany were considered to be winning WWII in its first 2 weeks too :P

I think they were winning for the first 2+ years.  But your point is still very true.

It is near the end of the end....

sales2099 said:

This.

Is there even a date when the Xone will release in Japan or do they even plan to bother?

Also, as a european, I don't see how any of that TV stuff is targeted at me. In fact I don't know anyone with a cable box. We rent cards that plug into your TV that give you access to HD broadcasts, what's the use of the hdmi in for me?

Great News