By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - should i buy a vita or a 3ds?

brendude13 said:
Uh oh.

What have you done.

You don't think this community can have a civilized discussion about two consoles?

For shame.

Around the Network
padib said:

Odds are though (and if sales mean anything), given OP, he will be happier with a 3DS. But I agree that if he gave more info we'd be able to better tell what is a better buy for him.

Some people liked the gamecube back in the day, it doesn't mean it's something you'd recommend in light of the PS2.

My favourite example whenever people try and correlate quality and sales.

NintendoPie said:
brendude13 said:
Uh oh.

What have you done.

You don't think this community can have a civilized discussion about two consoles?

For shame.

read the comments, its clear that we cant =(

If you want indie games, buy a PC. Otherwise, get a 3DS.

padib said:
pokoko said:
This thing I keep reading about developers no longer supporting the Vita, do these people really have any idea what they are talking about? It's like they're parroting drivel that's been thoughtlessly repeated over and over without ever bothering to find out if any of it is true.

The reality is that many developers are pleased with the high attach rate of the Vita. Vita owners buy software. No, it doesn't have any Monster Hunters or Animal Crossings but that's exactly what makes it a "blue ocean". Look at how well games like Senran Kagura, Demon Gaze, or Tokiden have sold--and these developers are supposedly going to drop support of the Vita? Right, that makes sense.

The only problems with the Vita is that it doesn't have that mega-hit that would get it flying off the shelves and it doesn't have any software that really appeals to kids, the primary owners of handhelds in the west. Because of that, like the Wii U, it has fallen into a bit of a niche machine with regards to mid-tier Japanese games and indie titles. However, it's bloody fantastic in that niche. People just have to decide if those games interest them.

Odds are though (and if sales mean anything), given OP, he will be happier with a 3DS. But I agree that if he gave more info we'd be able to better tell what is a better buy for him.

Some people liked the gamecube back in the day, it doesn't mean it's something you'd recommend in light of the PS2.

It's fine with me if he or anyone else prefers what the 3DS offers--though sales are far from being everything when it comes to judging quality.  My problem is with people saying that "support for the Vita might be dropped any day", when there is nothing to support that.  In fact, looking at game announcements, it looks like the opposite, with a lot of developers finally pulling the trigger on Vita projects.  Sony, for their part, are doing exactly what they said they were going to do, which is to form partnerships with third-party developers to create exclusive games for the Vita, such as Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, and Freedom Wars.

Around the Network
padib said:
brendude13 said:
padib said:

My favourite example whenever people try and correlate quality and sales.

I personally loved the gamecube, and would buy it 10 times before a PS2. But if I were honest with a prospective buyer, I'd realize I was in the minority and suggest what most people like if I didn't have the option of knowing what he exactly likes.

:)

True.

Which reminds me: Where the hell did the OP go?

ktay95 said:
Chandler said:
3DS. I have both and haven't turned my Vita on in a month. The month would be half a year if I hadn't played the Destiny of Spirits Beta a couple of hours. 3DS on the other hand, playing it right now.

have both, if it wasnt for Pokemon I wouldnt have played my 3DS all year.

Play Vita every single day

Therefore he must buy Vita, this is how this works yeah

Hahaha my post was pretty much a parody of the standard vita post "blabla, love my vita, blabla, own 3ds but dont play it at all, blabla, vita all night long, all night, all night.."

There are already multiple posts like this in this thread that favor the vita but you are obviously a-ok with them but when this shit gets turned around your little fanboy alarm goes all tingeling and you absolutely have. To. Turn. This. Shit. Down. Now.

Keep fighting little soldier, my work here is done.

Moderated - Kresnik.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

RenderMonk said:
But, if your purely an RPG fan, you might be happier with the 3DS, as there's an enormous catalog of RPG games you can play from both the DS library and the 3DS library.

If you include PS1 and PSP titles, there's an enormous catalog of RPG games you can play on Vita, too.

Persona 1 - 4, Final Fantasy 1 - 9, Ys, Disgaea, Trails in the Skies, FF Tactics, Riviera, Tactics Ogre, Grandia, Breath of Fire, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Wild Arms, Atelier series...

Vita-compatible RPGs in the US-PSN today: 8 PSV games, 89 PSP games and 28 PS1-classics... and most of the PSP games can well compete with the majority of 3DS RPGs.

pokoko said:
This thing I keep reading about developers no longer supporting the Vita, do these people really have any idea what they are talking about? It's like they're parroting drivel that's been thoughtlessly repeated over and over without ever bothering to find out if any of it is true.

The reality is that many developers are pleased with the high attach rate of the Vita. Vita owners buy software. No, it doesn't have any Monster Hunters or Animal Crossings but that's exactly what makes it a "blue ocean". Look at how well games like Senran Kagura, Demon Gaze, or Tokiden have sold--and these developers are supposedly going to drop support of the Vita? Right, that makes sense.

The only problems with the Vita is that it doesn't have that mega-hit that would get it flying off the shelves and it doesn't have any software that really appeals to kids, the primary owners of handhelds in the west. Because of that, like the Wii U, it has fallen into a bit of a niche machine with regards to mid-tier Japanese games and indie titles. However, it's bloody fantastic in that niche. People just have to decide if those games interest them.

I suggest you read up on the blue ocean strategy before throwing this word around. Servicing the hardcore Sony fanboys because they refuse to betray their gods and gobble everything up just because is not a blue ocean approach.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

if u have a play station 3 or 4 buy a vita if u dont buy them if u dont wana..

buy a 3ds