By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SmashRadar: All four control schemes reviewed and rated

i will reserve judgement till i can play with them all and customize my options

Around the Network
darconi said:
DMeisterJ said:
So basically, you have to have a last generation controller, to get the best experience out of the game. But since they're tapping into this "new market" of people who haven't played games before, they haven't played the GC before. So they have to go and buy a copy of the game, and a Gamecube controller or two... Umm... who is still selling NEW gamecube controllers?

Oh, they could use the classic controller, only that they need to go and buy three more, on top of the one they already have, since you have to plug the controllers into the bottom of the Wiimote, not the console itself, and they aren't wireless... Wow. this seems like a lot of work to play this game.

Nice trolling on the last generation controller.  You should point out that sony's controller have barely changed over 3 whole generation.  And now they're bringing back a "last gen" feature again!

Oh, I wasn't hating on the controller, but the fact that you have to own a Gamecube controller in order to play this game in the best way possible.  It's just weird that you'd make the biggest game that you're coming out with to use a controller (at best) from the last generation of game when you've tapped this "new market".  So people who haven't played games before and don't have a classic controller (or four) have to go and find some crappy third party controllers to use, or go and buy 3 more classic controllers (on top of the one that they should have), so that they can use them for this one game.

Game make wireless controllers. I don't know if they're any good though.

Made a New Thread Concerning GameCube Controllers

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=17421

I will still use the Nunchuk in Brawl. That and the GC controller.

Around the Network

I'll be using wiimote and nunchuck first and foremost, i don't see how the controller setup can not work.. i have one gc controller which i can use if all else fails..

People really shouldn't take this article as fact, this is one persons opinion on the default (i'm assuming) setup, which they could have changed (badly) or otherwise.. wait until you try it yourself and/or until more than one opinion comes through

Buy 4 controllers? I'll do what I've always done; I'll probably have 1 or 2 controllers, (gamecube & classic), but other than that my friends can buy and bring their own damn controllers if they want to play my console (worked back in our PS2 and gamecube days.)

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the sideways wiimote being bad, but I'm still going to try and get used to it. It feels very comfortable when I try holding it (despite not game being on, but whatever), and the complaints don't sound too severe. Might be just grumblings from angry fans who're used to the old way of doing things.

What I have no trouble believing is how badly the wiimote+nunchuck combination works. I remember having some trouble playing Trauma Center due to sitting in a weird position, not holding the nunchuck straight in any specific direction, and always pressing the analog stick in the wrong direction. It's great for 3d games, but I don't see it working very well with 2d.

I think this review comes from someone who owns a Wii solely for Smash, and chances are they are still used to the old convention of the two-handed-single-controller mechanism. Having played games now for a year with the nunchuk and remote, I don't think I'll have a problem with that solution, heck I think I might become so lazy at times that I might play with the remote alone.

The GC controller is the best for this reviewer and most likely everyone else b.c they're already used to the control scheme. They know where the C stick is with having to press a "C" button and moving the Joy stick
so basically the GC controller is second nature to them
therefore getting the best review.

ps i will use the GC controller!! :)