By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SmashRadar: All four control schemes reviewed and rated

I still have 2 GC 1st party controller is great condition, 1 that is ok, and one that I will make who ever I like least use when we play : )

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

There is no way I'd want to touch this game with anything other than a Gamecube controller and I've always cringed at the thought of the other control options.

BrainBoxLtd said:
FJ-Warez said:
but why no motion gestures with the wiimote, why????

What the hell is shake smash if you can't use gestures?

"...Huh? What’s that thing that says "Shake Smash" under Nunchuk?

With this function, you just shake the Wii Remote to do a Smash Attack in the direction you shook it. It’s a little bonus we added."

Did they never consider fiddling around with the controls options in thier "review" of different control set-ups?

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
DMeisterJ said:
So basically, you have to have a last generation controller, to get the best experience out of the game. But since they're tapping into this "new market" of people who haven't played games before, they haven't played the GC before. So they have to go and buy a copy of the game, and a Gamecube controller or two... Umm... who is still selling NEW gamecube controllers?

Oh, they could use the classic controller, only that they need to go and buy three more, on top of the one they already have, since you have to plug the controllers into the bottom of the Wiimote, not the console itself, and they aren't wireless... Wow. this seems like a lot of work to play this game.

Nice trolling on the last generation controller.  You should point out that sony's controller have barely changed over 3 whole generation.  And now they're bringing back a "last gen" feature again!

lol, so does this mean that everybody with a GC controller can pwn some Wii-mote/classic controller noobs now!

ZOMG!!!!!

-Ah, the days of listening to Counter-Strike players....

----

Why is there a specific jump button? What's wrong with pressing up?  

Around the Network

I always found pressing up on the stick VERY limiting. I always mashed Y or X, whichever i actually pressed when i mashed the outside ring area of the controller lol (Y if i consciously jump).

IllegalPaladin said:

lol, so does this mean that everybody with a GC controller can pwn some Wii-mote/classic controller noobs now!

ZOMG!!!!!

-Ah, the days of listening to Counter-Strike players....

----

Why is there a specific jump button? What's wrong with pressing up?

Its much easier to short hop (small jump) with the jump button.  Its also much much easier to short hop while moving forward the whole time as opposed to losing some time where pressing jump and directing your character in the direction you desire.  Furthermore, using the separate button also allows you to turn off tap jumping (finally!) so you can perform UpBs and tilt upas much without any risk accidently jumping.

i only have one wavebird, but it is by far the best non-motion-control-controller ever. and i will play that thing to death on ssbb. i wouldn't even think of using anything but the cube controller for smash.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

__XBrawlX__ said:
@L.C.E.C.
Why is MadCatz not good?

Why? Their controllers suck major balls.

My Brother had one once. (WWF Edition from Blockbuster was $10 cheaper) Here's what went down (Just read the bold if you want the short version of it:

1. Every button was made of 8th-rate chinese plastic.
  2. Buttons were sometimes unresponsive, especially Z button (cuz it only had 1 connecter unlike Ninty's 2)
  3. It ATE 2 Batteries more than the cookie monster could eat a HANDFUL of cookies.
  4. The thumbpad fell off within 2 weeks.
  5. The Analog & C-stick couldn't detect which way you went properly. Let's put it this way. It was easier to press the B button, followed by the A button (Random), hoping to get the right character, than it was worth him, or me sometimes when I didn't feel like barely nudging the stick nanometer by nanometer to stuggle through the character select screen on Melee.
  6. The Controller also had to be connected each time you plugged it in, because It ran on 2.4 Ghz wireless.
  7. With all 3 other Wavebird ports in, the MadCatz Reciever was extremely unsemmetrical (it was about 75% left, 25% right), so you had to plug it into 1st port.
  8. Buttons started sticking after like 2 - 3 weeks. The Ninty toothbrush technique did nothing.
  9. The analouge stick stopped working after about 4 weeks (the anolog stick got missaligned from it's MISS-SHAPED pin . I took it apart and fixed it, hoping that that was the last of my problems
  10. The Z button stopped working after about 1 month, then, to my dismay broke after about 4 additional pushes.
  11. My brother got pissed off, broke open the plastic case by pulling it apart with little to no effort, the screw threads sucked, and now I don't even know why I bothered using the screwdriver before, as It came open along the seal of the 2 halves of the controller. Then he messed around with it's innerworkings, Kept the analouge Sitck, C-Stick, D-pad and Rumble motor, and THREW IT AWAY.

I do not support companies that make crap for controllers, and I never will. I've bought Intec Memory cards, and wouldn't mind buying MadCatz Memory cards because It's EXTREMELY hard to screw up on how to make a Memory card.

However, I will NEVER again buy a controller from MadCatz. They suck hairy donkey balls. I'm suprised my dance pad hasn't broken yet.

Anyway, so If anyone has any GC controller reccomendations from Decent companies (anyone tried the GameStop one? I don't know if they have a wireless one.)

BrainBoxLtd said:
FJ-Warez said:
but why no motion gestures with the wiimote, why????

What the hell is shake smash if you can't use gestures?

"...Huh? What’s that thing that says "Shake Smash" under Nunchuk?

With this function, you just shake the Wii Remote to do a Smash Attack in the direction you shook it. It’s a little bonus we added."

Did they never consider fiddling around with the controls options in thier "review" of different control set-ups?

Wait, aren't the controls are customizeable down to the button? Like If I want 2 to be jump, the I can switch it with whatever is supposed to be, right?