By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should we be umimpressed with XB1's 1 million sales, or super amazed with PS4 sales?

Tagged games:

fatslob-:O said:
Normchacho said:

You'd be surprised, we had a spend over $1,200 on the Xbox and accesories for his kids this morning. Also, look at the Ipad. We sold a ton of those things when the new ones came out and people buy them every couple of years. The economy may not be great, but you'd be stunned at how many people will spend stupid money on unnessicary things.

Are you sure that your not one of those hardcore gaming customers ? That is not something a general audience would do! BTW ipads are valued because the general consumers deem them as necessary. What's more is that wages haven't gone up since the early 2000s so how on earth can the worst customers afford new consoles of a price above $300 ?! 

Oops, no no. Not me, a guy came in today and bought that stuff for his kids for Christmas. The worst customers? I don't understand? I do agree that most people who buy early are hardcore gamers, but I think you'd be surprised at how many consoles were bought by regular folk.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

We only care about total numbers. That's why we call PS3 a victory over 360 despite 360 being totally shunned in Japan.

Honestly, I think we shouldn't be impressed about either.

Except in regards to the production power of modern console manufacturers.

Outside very few cases, pretty most consoles are supply constrained at launch.

Does anyone doubt the PS2 would of sold 1 million in similar circumstances were there 1 million consoles available?

This data is somewhat useless until it can be plotted against other launch data lines, out to the point when other popular consoles stopped being supply constrained.

For example, does anyone think both the PS4 and Xbox One will outsellf the PS2?  I don't.

Normchacho said:
fatslob-:O said:
Normchacho said:

You'd be surprised, we had a spend over $1,200 on the Xbox and accesories for his kids this morning. Also, look at the Ipad. We sold a ton of those things when the new ones came out and people buy them every couple of years. The economy may not be great, but you'd be stunned at how many people will spend stupid money on unnessicary things.

Are you sure that your not one of those hardcore gaming customers ? That is not something a general audience would do! BTW ipads are valued because the general consumers deem them as necessary. What's more is that wages haven't gone up since the early 2000s so how on earth can the worst customers afford new consoles of a price above $300 ?! 

Oops, no no. Not me, a guy came in today and bought that stuff for his kids for Christmas. The worst customers? I don't understand? I do agree that most people who buy early are hardcore gamers, but I think you'd be surprised at how many consoles were bought by regular folk.

In any case are you sure that guy is not some hardcore customer then ?

The worst customers are those that are the hardest to get but at the same time their also the majority. The majority of PS360 gamers that you see in the forums do not act like this in real life. You see alot of the PS360 gamers also have alot of expectations too such as an ideal price point as well as the software released so far on the consoles. BTW the majority of the gaming crowd is adults just so you know so that scenario you described to me doesn't actually happen very often. 

They're both absolutely unprecedented, PS4 just more so.

Remember, the Wii U did 472k globally in SEVEN times the amount of time, and despite how things have been since January, that was actually considered a very strong launch, especially compared to PS3 and 360.

Around the Network

Considering 1: The amount of pro-Sony/anti-M$ sentiment among the gaming audience and media since both systems' respective reveals, and 2: the fact that M$ made the effort to launch in as many countries as possible rather than just concentrating exclusively on North America, I'm impressed with the Xbone's performance so far.

The question is, which company will be better at keeping the momentum going through the rest of the holidays and into the first half of '14.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

DietSoap said:

Remember, the Wii U did 472k globally in SEVEN times the amount of time, and despite how things have been since January, that was actually considered a very strong launch, especially compared to PS3 and 360.

The Wii sold 600k in the first 8 days in the Americas, and it was widely known to be highly supply-constrained at the time. To make this point, consider that, when it released in Japan, it sold 370,000 out of the supply of 400,000 in the first two days. The Wii also sold 325k across Europe in the first two days.

Comparing to the Wii U doesn't make sense, just as comparing to the Xbox 360 doesn't make sense.

Again, I'm not posting this to diminish anything, or enhance anything, but to get the numbers right.

By the way, the Wii U was only on sale in the Americas in the first seven days - it was NOT a "global" number.

They are the same. If MS decided to launch in NA only, they would still sell over a million. It's all limited by stock for both companies right now.

I don't care about either. It's launch, the consoles are pretty much sold out everywhere. It's just a matter of how many you can ship, not anything about demand. Sales will be more interesting in 2014 and beyond imho.

We should be impressed by both. As much negative news that XBO got and selling 1m, yeah.  PS4 did it in one country so yeah to both.  Now congratulate both and move on.