By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should we be umimpressed with XB1's 1 million sales, or super amazed with PS4 sales?

Tagged games:

Its sad that Xbox can never get a break. Because even with their horrible reveal and PR, they managed to turn it around and sell a fantastic amount of systems. But still, Sony's numbers are crazy and it will be a real fight for the US. That's a big goal for both of them, to win the US over.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Normchacho said:
We should be unimpressed by both because the first adopters are usually the hardcore sony and microsoft fans who get the console first. We should atleast wait until janurary to make judgement about their sales but I suspect that the PS4 will cannibalize the xbox market because all it comes down to is the $100 price difference.

Are you serious?  Since when has any console sold anywhere near what these two have sold so quickly?

Like I had said before, only the hardcore fans grew in numbers! Not the general consumer trending towards these consoles!

That's a possible theory, but you have no way of knowing. We've already been told that Gamestop has a huge number people still waiting for the PS4. Word is that in some markets it may be March before they are on the shelves.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

if Europe/other launches with the same number of consoles, The ps4 just needs to match the xb1 on BF in NA, in order to have a 2-1 margin world wide.

Europe and Other have combined for 60% more ps3 sales than north america. I wonder what ratio sony has kept for those markets.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Normchacho said:
Normchacho said:
We should be unimpressed by both because the first adopters are usually the hardcore sony and microsoft fans who get the console first. We should atleast wait until janurary to make judgement about their sales but I suspect that the PS4 will cannibalize the xbox market because all it comes down to is the $100 price difference.

Are you serious?  Since when has any console sold anywhere near what these two have sold so quickly?

Like I had said before, only the hardcore fans grew in numbers! Not the general consumer trending towards these consoles!

That's a possible theory, but you have no way of knowing. We've already been told that Gamestop has a huge number people still waiting for the PS4. Word is that in some markets it may be March before they are on the shelves.

I do have a way of knowing.

Who else would buy a $400 console in these not so great economic conditions ? Obviously not the general consumers! It has to be the PS fans.

DD_Bwest said:
if Europe/other launches with the same number of consoles, The ps4 just needs to match the xb1 on BF in NA, in order to have a 2-1 margin world wide.

Europe and Other have combined for 60% more ps3 sales than north america. I wonder what ratio sony has kept for those markets.

Yeah its too hard to tell, because on one hand they know they have Europe in the bag, so they want to sell as much supply as possible in the US. So did they keep enough for Europe to buy at launch?

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Normchacho said:

I do have a way of knowing.

Who else would buy a $400 console in these not so great economic conditions ? Obviously not the general consumers! It has to be the PS fans.

You'd be surprised, we had a spend over $1,200 on the Xbox and accesories for his kids this morning. Also, look at the Ipad. We sold a ton of those things when the new ones came out and people buy them every couple of years. The economy may not be great, but you'd be stunned at how many people will spend stupid money on unnessicary things.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

You'd be surprised, we had a spend over $1,200 on the Xbox and accesories for his kids this morning. Also, look at the Ipad. We sold a ton of those things when the new ones came out and people buy them every couple of years. The economy may not be great, but you'd be stunned at how many people will spend stupid money on unnessicary things.

Are you sure that your not one of those hardcore gaming customers ? That is not something a general audience would do! BTW ipads are valued because the general consumers deem them as necessary. What's more is that wages haven't gone up since the early 2000s so how on earth can the worst customers afford new consoles of a price above $300 ?! 

DialgaMarine said:
If you average it out, the XBone technically only sold about 77K units per country, vs PS4's 500K + per country.

I have no opinion at all about how good either one was, but this here is an abuse of reasoning.

Suppose that the two countries that PS4 launched in were India and China, while the 13 that XBO launched in were Vatican City, Nauru, Tuvalu, Palau, San Marino, Monaco, Liechtenstein, St Kitts & Nevis, Marshall Islands, Dominica, Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, and Seychelles. And both had sold 1 million exactly across their respective countries. Then PS4 would have sold to about 0.04% of the population of those two countries, whereas XBO would have sold to over 170% of the population - as in, more XBOs than people. Would it still be fair to say the PS4 did better because it sold 500K per country on average?

No, if you want to do it fairly, you have to compare based on population, not country count.

So let's do this fairly.

Xbox One has gone on sale in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, UK, and USA. Roughly speaking, the total population of these countries is 1,029,000,000. PS4 went on sale in US and Canada, which represents about 352,000,000 people. So the Xbox One sold to 0.097% of the population of the countries it released in, while the PS4 sold to 0.284% of the population of the countries it released in. That's less than three times the proportion, not the excessive 6.5 times difference you asserted.

Still better for the PS4... although, the real comparison that needs to be done is "how many units were sold in the US and Canada?" - it's entirely possible that 800,000 of the Xbox One units were sold in US and Canada, making the real difference much smaller.

Anyway, like I said, I don't care in the least about the stupid console wars themselves, and this reeks of console wars. But I care about abuse of mathematics, and you abused it pretty badly.

It does not matter at this point in the game. If Microsoft only sold their initial consoles in North America they would have also still sold out a million consoles. This stage of the game its all about supply. Neither has enough supply to meet demand yet. I will be more intersted to see the total tally at the end of March then again in January 2015. I'm very very impressed it's selling so well based on all the anti Microsoft attitude in the forums but it goes to show that Core gamers and these forums are NOT the real word. 

Based on the excitment so far and energy I see from folks around me, I'm revising how well I think its gonna do. 

If your wondering I own a Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U. Already picked up my PS4 Midnight on launch from Best Buy. They actually had some extra there when I got there around 12:30 so I lucked out. I hope to grab an Xbox One if I can find one sometime soon. So far everywhere I called around its sold out. Loving Assassins Creed 4 on my PS4 in the meantime. 

John

They both did amazing. PS4 did awesome and had a comeback in US. Xbox One did amazing considering it costs $500 - a full $100 more than PS4. However when compared to Apple iPhone, which costs even more than both, they are both underwhelming.