By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The OFFICIAL 2014 NBA Thread! December 22 update: BACK BY REQUEST

Well if they do 3 peat I would rank them above the last team that did it the Lakers but below the two Bulls squats that did it but only slightly below the first 3peat Bulls.  The second 3peat Bulls with Rodman, Pippen, Jordan and Kukoc is the most dominant team ever.  Especially the 96 and 97 squat that won 72 and 69 games during the regular season.  Would have been interesting what would have happened if there would have been a full season in 1998-99 and that Bulls squat would have stayed together for one more season.  The probably wouldn't have won another championship since age and injuries probably would have slowed them down a lot but they would have had a pretty deep playoff run.  One thing that is almost certain the Knicks squat that made it to the finals that year probably wouldn't have made the playoffs that year if the Bulls would have stayed together.

Around the Network

Well the western finals will go at least six games. I think the Heat will probably finish off the Pacers tonight that extra rest will be a advantaged for the Heat in the finals.

carlos710 said:
I was 4/4 on my predictions for the 2nd round.
I also pick the spurs over the thunder without Ibaka.. so I expect something like this

Spurs over thunder in 7
Heat over pacers in 6

The heat pacers series could be harder than many expect... the pacers have been preparing themselves the whole year specifically for this moment. I think it will be a very emotional series for them

Seems like my 4-2 prediction for the Heat will be spot on.

Also, like I expected the Spurs just can't match the Thunder ... even without Ibaka they were going to have a lot of trouble. You can't compete against Durant/Westbrook with bums like Tony parker and Marco belinelli. The spurs have been too loyal to limited guys like Parker and Gino, and too cheap to go for real nba players... instead they sign guys that barely belong to the league (patty mills ? boris diaw ? aron baynes?)

It's time for the spurs management to realize that this isn't the formula to win NBA championships. There are certain styles of playing that can lead to several wins in the regular season, but in the playoffs against tougher defenses you need actual NBA talent. Unless Duncan magically gets 6 years younger expect the spurs to go out embarrased once again for the fourth postseason in a row.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Miami will definitely have a slight edge in the finals despite not having home court that extra day rest and possible more will come in handy.

Nice a rematch of last years final. This year the Spurs have a better shot of winning it all since they have home court plus I would give them a edge as far as bench play goes. OKC could have easily lost in the first round and probably would have if Lionel Hollins was still coaching the Grizzlies and the Clippers came close to beating them or at least going to seven games also. Really proud of my Mavs they played the Spurs the best so far.

Around the Network

Not much of an official thread if it hasnt been updated since early december...

Actually the Spurs management is doing a really good job they won more titles and went to just as many finals then the Rockets and Mavericks combined even though San Anonio is a much less desired market the Dallas or Houston.  

gergroy said:
Not much of an official thread if it hasnt been updated since early december...

Ya, I've been thinking the same thing. Somebody should have just made a new playoff thread

carlos710 said:

Also, like I expected the Spurs just can't match the Thunder ... even without Ibaka they were going to have a lot of trouble. You can't compete against Durant/Westbrook with bums like Tony parker and Marco belinelli. The spurs have been too loyal to limited guys like Parker and Gino, and too cheap to go for real nba players... instead they sign guys that barely belong to the league (patty mills ? boris diaw ? aron baynes?)

It's time for the spurs management to realize that this isn't the formula to win NBA championships. There are certain styles of playing that can lead to several wins in the regular season, but in the playoffs against tougher defenses you need actual NBA talent. Unless Duncan magically gets 6 years younger expect the spurs to go out embarrased once again for the fourth postseason in a row.

I hate people talking smack about Spurs. C'mon, without Ibaka OKC was being massacred, I have no idea which games you were watching :P It had the potential of the biggest blow-out in the history of Conference Finals.

Limited guys like Parker and Gino... Man... Parker was in the MVP conversation last season, would be this year again, had Pop not limited his minutes that much. On top of that he is by far the best point guard these Playoffs - no competition really, his stats destroy what other guys have shown this year.

Gino - yeah, he's so bad. He only has the best won to lost games ratio in the whole NBA. Not a real nba player... Probably cause he's unreal ;) I mean:

Considering how Manu, Patty and Diaw have been playing recently, it seems that even though you guessed the results so far, the guys at Spurs know a bit more about basketball and players than you do :P Who'd guess!? ;)

I'm not gonna hide, I'm supporting SAS. I just love the vibe of old champs giving it another go. Just love such stories :) Even though I have some bad feelings. The Spurs are better than last year, but I was expecting MIA to be much worse than last year, but Wade is surprisingly good - didn't expect him to perform so well. LBJ is as good as ever, Ray Allen as well, Bosh is in form, Rashard Lewis is crazy hot recently. This is gonna be tougher for the Spurs than I was hoping it would. On the other hand, Manu is playing great again, Pop is on top of his game as well. It's gonna be a great series, will probably go all the way till game 7, but I hope SAS will prevail and Timmy is gonna get that ring :)

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
carlos710 said:

I hate people talking smack about Spurs. C'mon, without Ibaka OKC was being massacred, I have no idea which games you were watching :P It had the potential of the biggest blow-out in the history of Conference Finals.

Limited guys like Parker and Gino... Man... Parker was in the MVP conversation last season, would be this year again, had Pop not limited his minutes that much. On top of that he is by far the best point guard these Playoffs - no competition really, his stats destroy what other guys have shown this year.

Gino - yeah, he's so bad. He only has the best won to lost games ratio in the whole NBA. Not a real nba player... Probably cause he's unreal ;) I mean:

Considering how Manu, Patty and Diaw have been playing recently, it seems that even though you guessed the results so far, the guys at Spurs know a bit more about basketball and players than you do :P Who'd guess!? ;)

I'm not gonna hide, I'm supporting SAS. I just love the vibe of old champs giving it another go. Just love such stories :) Even though I have some bad feelings. The Spurs are better than last year, but I was expecting MIA to be much worse than last year, but Wade is surprisingly good - didn't expect him to perform so well. LBJ is as good as ever, Ray Allen as well, Bosh is in form, Rashard Lewis is crazy hot recently. This is gonna be tougher for the Spurs than I was hoping it would. On the other hand, Manu is playing great again, Pop is on top of his game as well. It's gonna be a great series, will probably go all the way till game 7, but I hope SAS will prevail and Timmy is gonna get that ring :)

Actually, in the last 2 spurs wins it was Duncan who dominated for them - as I said the spurs have no shot if they rely too much on Parker/Gino. Parker didn't even played most of the last game and they didn't missed him a bit.

I love the spurs, they are my favorite team. I'm just pissed that the management make of guys like Boris Diaw and Matt Bonner their big free agent signings instead of going for more capable players.

As for this series.. the heat have more talent, but I won't bet against my team. Spurs in 7

Duncan will have to be the best player for them tho once again. Parker is just an overrated scrub that can only play well against terrible defenses and/or meaningless games.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"