By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

FFVII brought it to mainstream and thus the overall community believes that FFVII heralded a new era in the western markets accepting the RPG genre.

However, there are plenty of RPG's that are give FFVII a run for its money.
- Xenogears
- Chrono Trigger
- Final Fantasy 6
- Earthbound (if you didn't like it your a douche)

Those are my personal ones I place above FFVII. However, I think the one thing that most people -love- about FFVII is Sephiroth. Apparently he is a lady killer (pun intended) and it technically made the series mega famous all over again.

Ask me how to turn a Rottweiler in to a Dodongo and I'll tell you the story of a lifetime.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
libellule said:

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

Find me one person that actually thinks that.

FF7 didn't kill the N64.  But it certainly did make the Playstation.

@WoW, I think it's safe to assume that 95% or more FF7 players played the game on a Playstation, not a PC.  The PC versions of FF7 and FF8 were some of the buggiest pieces of software I have ever seen.

Entroper said:
twesterm said:
libellule said:

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

Find me one person that actually thinks that.

FF7 didn't kill the N64. But it certainly did make the Playstation.

@WoW, I think it's safe to assume that 95% or more FF7 players played the game on a Playstation, not a PC. The PC versions of FF7 and FF8 were some of the buggiest pieces of software I have ever seen.

Have you actually seen them first hand or are you just pulling this out of your arse?

Am I really to believe that both games have these massive bug problems that I've never seen despite replaying them multiple times each on different computers?  Even you must admit that from my standpoint that seems extremely farfetched.

If my memory serves me correctly the FFVII PC versions were kinda iffy and some PC's had issues with them (slowdown, freezes, etc etc.) however, I am also 100% certain that the PC version of FFVII had a better translation than the PS1 version.

Some text was fixed and properly translated in the PC version where in the PS1 version some translation errors and odd sentences were apparent.

Ask me how to turn a Rottweiler in to a Dodongo and I'll tell you the story of a lifetime.

twesterm said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
It broke your computer? O.o

Are you sure that when you say "it" you don't mean "you?"

Broke might be a little extreme.  I might have meant to say it didn't fucking work and I threw it in a corner after tryign several days to get it to work.  Several days later, my computer mysteriously stopped working (though they could be because of many many things >_>).

The PC version froze on me about 188273663737 time, if I remember correctly.  Great fun doing the same battle over, and over, and over, and over...

Any way, FFVII is way too mcuh "Sit and Watch," when much better RPGs develop the stories and characters THROUGH the game play, not as a Play, watch, play, watch, play, watch jumble.

On a side note, has any one ever played the Baldur's Gate series.  One of the better set of RPG games in my opinion.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Entroper said:
twesterm said:

Have you actually seen them first hand or are you just pulling this out of your arse?

Am I really to believe that both games have these massive bug problems that I've never seen despite replaying them multiple times each on different computers? Even you must admit that from my standpoint that seems extremely farfetched.

Well I wouldn't say it's any uglier than the PS1 game, I know it's a while back now for the PC release so I don't know how much of a technical accomplishment it would've been to have it running at 640x480 (it's max resolution on PC), but I can easily say that other than that the PC version is god awful in comparison to the PS1 game.

The MIDI music on the PC version is horrid, and the PC version was considerably buggy. I think just the music reason alone is enough to put me off from playing it after already going through the PS1 version.

PC Ports have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way. 

MrMarc said:

Well I wouldn't say it's any uglier than the PS1 game, I know it's a while back now for the PC release so I don't know how much of a technical accomplishment it would've been to have it running at 640x480 (it's max resolution on PC), but I can easily say that other than that the PC version is god awful in comparison to the PS1 game.

The MIDI music on the PC version is horrid, and the PC version was considerably buggy. I think just the music reason alone is enough to put me off from playing it after already going through the PS1 version.

PC Ports have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way.

Can you say something a bit more substantial than it was "considerably buggy?"

Mine also never froze.

Also, Baldur's Gate was good except for the final battle.  The entire game felt like a piece of cake up until that last battle where it got ferociously hard by comparison.

Baldur's Gate 2:  Shadows of Amn was truly amazing though.

I would also like to add that FFVII had wayyyyy too many moves that left you sitting there watching.

I mean Super Nova took over 2 minutes, that is rediculous, and very very boring in my opinion.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Well I can officially say that FF7 in my experience off two different PC's HATES Nvidia cards with both cards (An FX5200, old enough that it should support the game and a more recent 7600GT) displaying huge green squares across the picture. The Chocobo Races NEVER EVER worked, crashed to desktop everytime I'd try playing those sequences. Those are two particulars I can think of right now, not many I know but definitely more than enough to ruin what should just work.

MrMarc said:
Well I can officially say that FF7 in my experience off two different PC's HATES Nvidia cards with both cards (An FX5200, old enough that it should support the game and a more recent 7600GT) displaying huge green squares across the picture. The Chocobo Races NEVER EVER worked, crashed to desktop everytime I'd try playing those sequences. Those are two particulars I can think of right now, not many I know but definitely more than enough to ruin what should just work.

The card that it worked nicely with on my end (2nd PC) is an nVidia 5200 FX.

As for the Chocobo racing part, did you ever get the game patch for it?