By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Munkeh111 said:
So why is FF VII heralded as being the best FF game, and the one that brought RPGs to the west, and the best selling FF game?
And why is everyone making such a fuss about it possibly being remade on the PS3?

Because it was the first RPG to get a massive marketing budget in the west. Hype sells. Hype influences opinions. Before the game came out there were countless adds that pounded in your head that this was going to be the best RPG ever.

A lot of people bought into the hype.

That and a lot of people that say FFVII is the best RPG ever never played FF I-VI. I'm sure if I hadn't played any of those games FFVII would be near the top of my list too.

True enough.  The PS1 did greatly expand the videogame market.  I wonder how FF7 would rank for me if I hadn't played the SNES FF games.

Hard to say.  Can't help but feel the game might have had inflated expectations because of how good 4 and 6 were.  

I still don't see myself liking the game.  Though I don't think i'd dislike it.  It'd still be below just about every SNES RPG i'd played though i'd imagine.  The SNES was king of the Turn Based RPG.

Eh it'd be above 7th Saga. I love that game but it's not great. 

Around the Network
libellule said:
FFXIII is not so much hyped
remember it is exclusive to the most hated/bashed console : PS3 ...

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

also remember we are in a "Nintendo infested" website where many people like/play/support nintendo system (brawl official thread : 2 weeks =+700 posts)

and yes, many people LOVE FF7 just because it is their first JRPG

I have played FF7, it is my first JRPG, and it was very good

Here is the thing.  Everyone in this thread who is talking about how they disliked FF7 seems to have played it.

This would indicate that they had Playstation 1's.  So why would anyone care? 

Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Munkeh111 said:
So why is FF VII heralded as being the best FF game, and the one that brought RPGs to the west, and the best selling FF game?
And why is everyone making such a fuss about it possibly being remade on the PS3?

Because it was the first RPG to get a massive marketing budget in the west. Hype sells. Hype influences opinions. Before the game came out there were countless adds that pounded in your head that this was going to be the best RPG ever.

That and a lot of people that say FFVII is the best RPG ever never played FF I-VI. I'm sure if I hadn't played any of those games FFVII would be near the top of my list too.

True enough. The PS1 did greatly expand the videogame market. I wonder how FF7 would rank for me if I hadn't played the SNES FF games.

Hard to say. Can't help but feel the game might have had inflated expectations because of how good 4 and 6 were.

I still don't see myself liking the game. Though I don't think i'd dislike it. It'd still be below just about every SNES RPG i'd played though i'd imagine. The SNES was king of the Turn Based RPG.

I don't really think FFVII is a bad game, I just think there are much *much* better RPG's and FF games out there.

As for the comment of me saying I think I would put FFVII a lot higher on my list if I hadn't played any of the previous better FF games, it's like saying I think Pokemon is the greatest CCG ever yet I had never played M:tG.

The Pokemon CCG isn't a terrible game and even has some good points, but it isn't anything compared to some of the better CCG's like Magic: the Gathering.  I could just see someone thinking that Pokemon is the best card game ever and then someone says here, play this as they hand them a Magic deck.  It's like the same thing with someone saying FFVII is the best RPG ever and then letting them play FFVI. 

libellule said:

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

also remember we are in a "Nintendo infested" website where many people like/play/support nintendo system (brawl official thread : 2 weeks =+700 posts)

It has been proclaimed as the saviour of the console nearly every day, and it is by far my most anticipated game on the system except for GTA IV

Kasz216 said:
libellule said:

Here is the thing. Everyone in this thread who is talking about how they disliked FF7 seems to have played it.

This would indicate that they had Playstation 1's. So why would anyone care?

Fail.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were released on the PC.

In fact, I stated in an above posted that I never played the PSX versions--only PC.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Munkeh111 said:

True enough. The PS1 did greatly expand the videogame market. I wonder how FF7 would rank for me if I hadn't played the SNES FF games.

Hard to say. Can't help but feel the game might have had inflated expectations because of how good 4 and 6 were.

I still don't see myself liking the game. Though I don't think i'd dislike it. It'd still be below just about every SNES RPG i'd played though i'd imagine. The SNES was king of the Turn Based RPG.

I don't really think FFVII is a bad game, I just think there are much *much* better RPG's and FF games out there.

As for the comment of me saying I think I would put FFVII a lot higher on my list if I hadn't played any of the previous better FF games, it's like saying I think Pokemon is the greatest CCG ever yet I had never played M:tG.

The Pokemon CCG isn't a terrible game and even has some good points, but it isn't anything compared to some of the better CCG's like Magic: the Gathering. I could just see someone thinking that Pokemon is the best card game ever and then someone says here, play this as they hand them a Magic deck. It's like the same thing with someone saying FFVII is the best RPG ever and then letting them play FFVI.

Well I mean it more in terms of branding.

My expectations for a Final Fantasy game are just naturally going to be higher then for a new IP like Blue Dragon because i expect (or did back then anyway) an RPG of the highest quality. I wonder if FF7 might of jumped some of the more generic RPGs i've played had I never played a Final Fantasy game.

Most people branding effects them positivly but i'm not a brand loyal type person, often changing products i use on a whim and roatating between different games, genres, soda's, clothes... you name it pretty much.

Therefore the positive effects of branding are somewhat lost on me while the higher expectations still remain.

It certainly would move up.  I just wonder if it would jump any "Non FF" games. 

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
libellule said:

Here is the thing. Everyone in this thread who is talking about how they disliked FF7 seems to have played it.

This would indicate that they had Playstation 1's. So why would anyone care?

Fail.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 were released on the PC.

In fact, I stated in an above posted that I never played the PSX versions--only PC.

Fair enough. I missed that. Personally i was told FF7 CPU version was an abomination against god. From people who liked the PS1 version. (Which is why i bought FF7 3 times for PS1 instead of the PC version.)

But I mean if you had a computer capable of playing games then that was an even better reason not to care.

Eh, then again it was a stupid comment. I mean there are plenty of people on this site who have multiple or even all 3(or even 5) game systems and seem to have bias'.

Its just something i don't understand... probably due to the above mentioned lack of brand loyalty.

I remember I tried the PC version of FFVII and all it did was break my computer. ;_;

It broke your computer?  O.o

Are you sure that when you say "it" you don't mean "you?"

Words Of Wisdom said:
It broke your computer? O.o

Are you sure that when you say "it" you don't mean "you?"

Broke might be a little extreme.  I might have meant to say it didn't fucking work and I threw it in a corner after tryign several days to get it to work.  Several days later, my computer mysteriously stopped working (though they could be because of many many things >_>).