By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

Yeah, on Nvidia cards you HAVE to use software rendering or you get major graphical problems, I got those Green blocks as well, until I just bit the bullet and used software rendering.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

I never tried the patch no, to be honest once I'd hit that point with the ammount of random crash-to-desktop occurrences I did have, I had little desire left to play it. I remember that particular patch being unofficially made as well, whilst I'm not arguing it's effectiveness or not, it's pretty shocking it wasn't recognised and fixed by Squaresoft too (or maybe I should say Eidos in this case as they published it).

Also, with the software rendering (which I remember being horribly slow...), weren't you also restricting yourself on the max resolution you could play? Didn't that bring it down to like 320x240?

I just think that hands down, the PC port is inferior to the PS1 version, enough to the point where it is actually able to ruin enjoying the game full stop.

final fantasy VII has a great story, great characters, great music, great art design, great battle system and great side games.

so what's not good about the game?

the athmosphere, the coldness and seriousness of it's story but also the lighthearted and humor of the characters and scenes
all on a magnificant soundtrack

what's there to hate?

''Hadouken!''

MrMarc said:
I never tried the patch no, to be honest once I'd hit that point with the ammount of random crash-to-desktop occurrences I did have, I had little desire left to play it. I remember that particular patch being unofficially made as well, whilst I'm not arguing it's effectiveness or not, it's pretty shocking it wasn't recognised and fixed by Squaresoft too (or maybe I should say Eidos in this case as they published it).

Also, with the software rendering (which I remember being horribly slow...), weren't you also restricting yourself on the max resolution you could play? Didn't that bring it down to like 320x240?

I just think that hands down, the PC port is inferior to the PS1 version, enough to the point where it is actually able to ruin enjoying the game full stop.

I'm pretty sure I kept the resolution much higher than that, but it's been a while so I'd have to check.  I have a gamepad and I ran it out to my TV so it mattered a bit less than you'd think.  Not sure what your slowdowns were from.

I actually think the PC version is the better version hands down.  Easier editting utilities, cheating is easily available for just messing around, and there are some pretty nice mods including one that upgrades the character models (actual hands!) so I can't believe anyone would believe the PSX version would be superior.

and it's got one of the best plot twists of gaming scripts

cloud is telling the story of zack, the true soldier and the man that safed cloud
with the fabulous shot of the true picture taken at nibelheim with zack on the photo next to tifa and not cloud

only xenogears has a stronger storyline

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

../

''Hadouken!''

No, you could have 640x480 with software rendering.

I would say FFVII had a mediocre story, AWFUL characters (in design and personality,) good music, very good prerendered backgrounds that clashed terribly with the real time stuff, and a pretty mediocre battle system as well...

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

twesterm said:
libellule said:

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

Find me one person that actually thinks that.

In a simple manner of speaking, that's not far from the truth.  I'm not saying it IS true though (don't jump to conclusions).  Just imagine if Square stayed on the N64's boat and released all of it's RPG's it released on the PS1.  Not just FF7 but FF8,9 Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross and a few others.  The N64 would've been much closer to the PS1's sales.  Of course, it would've cost Square heavily if they did due to the amount of content they were putting on FF7 making the games very expensive for consumers.  It would of taken away sales from the PS1 and added them to the N64 regardless though.

Another point I'd like to say is that A LOT of old school FF1-FF6 fans I have come across have always had a disliking for FF7.  They never give any applicable reasons other than the constant oyster fests you hear from typical trolls.  The move from Nintendo to Sony really hurt Nintendo, isn't it obvious the fans would be bitter?  It's basic human behavior.  For instance: Let's say I was a pro football player, I helped lead my team to victory for many years and was a prime reason for the teams success.  Then all of a sudden my contract expires and I need a place to keep working.  The obvious choice would be my current team, but due to family problems in another state I must refuse and then sign up for the team in said state (in reference to Square needing to use discs for their games instead of cartridges).  When I start playing for this new team I lead them to victory many years over my old team.  Don't you think my old teams' fans would be bitter?  They followed that old team for so long with me in it, and now they think I'm a traitor.  Tough biscuits. 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

FF is hardly what led Nintendo to Victory during the SNES era, or what caused its downfall with the N64. Nintendo just had better backing and better games over all. Switch just FF to Sega and there would have been little impact on that generation (but probably a huge impact on the future of the final fantasy series.

One thing caused the N64's downfall, and that was sticking with carts, pure and simple. They lost massive 3rd party support and brought nothing original to the table with the cube to get them back. I don't know a single Nintendo fan who blanes Final Fantasy of all things as the reasons for the PSX's Success over the N64.

Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that was hurt, in my opinion any way, by its 3D elements. It would have been a lot more enjoyable and pleasant on the eye if it was all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites. Its not like the animations in that game were amazing, they were very basic and could have looked better on more detailed sprites.

CrashMan said:
FF is hardly what led Nintendo to Victory during the SNES era, or what caused its downfall with the N64. Nintendo just had better backing and better games over all. Switch just FF to Sega and there would have been little impact on that generation (but probably a huge impact on the future of the final fantasy series.

One thing caused the N64's downfall, and that was sticking with carts, pure and simple. They lost massive 3rd party support and brought nothing original to the table with the cube to get them back. I don't know a single Nintendo fan who blanes Final Fantasy of all things as the reasons for the PSX's Success over the N64.

Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that was hurt, in my opinion any way, by its 3D elements. It would have been a lot more enjoyable and pleasant on the eye if it was all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites. Its not like the animations in that game were amazing, they were very basic and could have looked better on more detailed sprites.

I never said that FF and Square was the SOLE reason why Nintendo won the SNES/Sega era, I'm saying that they helped gain Nintendo much success back in the day.  If Square didn't exist Nintendo would've been victorious over Sega anyway, that's not the point.  Nintendo wouldn't of had AS much success is what I'm saying.  The same thing could be said about a series like GTA for the PS2.  More than likely Sony would've won that console generation even if GTA3, Vice city and SA didn't exist.  Your post wasn't exactly referring to what I meant.  I meant more along the lines of the old-school Square fans of FF1-FF6.  That's not to say Nintendo fans that have never played FF wouldn't be bitter as well though.   

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*