By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF7 - Is it just me...

"For instance: Let's say I was a pro football player, I helped lead my team to victory for many years and was a prime reason for the teams success."

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network
libellule said:
FFXIII is not so much hyped
remember it is exclusive to the most hated/bashed console : PS3 ...

and yes, many nintendo fan bash FF7 because it is, in part, what killed the N64 (when other FF7 have pushed the Nintendo system)

also remember we are in a "Nintendo infested" website where many people like/play/support nintendo system (brawl official thread : 2 weeks =+700 posts)

and yes, many people LOVE FF7 just because it is their first JRPG

I have played FF7, it is my first JRPG, and it was very good

FFVII didn't kill the N64. Yamauchi's dracronian leadership did. In fact if you look up the Japanese sales, FFVII "killed" the Saturn. The PS1 and Saturn were in a dead heat sales wise in Japan until FFVII released.

Even though I only posted here before a few times (though I am constantly lurking), I just felt like throwing my 2 cents in.
I have been playing FF since III (VI being my favorite game ever) and I have to say I don´t hate VII. I kinda liked VII, VIII and IX, but noticed a decline in quality from the SNES era.
However, when I got to X and especially XII (didn´t even finish it), I hated it.
Finally, the only thing I really remember being interesting in VII ( I haven´t played it in a long, long time) is that, if I remember correctly, when Cloud and the others are going for their final battle, Cloud makes this speech about how he is doing it to get Sephiroth and not save the world.
I thought that it was this interesting change from heroes with an altruistic view of stopping the big bad villain and saving the world. Cloud just wanted revenge.

P.S. - With the whole Aeris being kiled thing, I remember thinking several times through the game: Why can´t I just use Phoenix Down on her? Why? I know that´s silly, but that kinda of took some of the impact of the moment for me.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

swyggi said:
CrashMan said:
FF is hardly what led Nintendo to Victory during the SNES era, or what caused its downfall with the N64. Nintendo just had better backing and better games over all. Switch just FF to Sega and there would have been little impact on that generation (but probably a huge impact on the future of the final fantasy series.

One thing caused the N64's downfall, and that was sticking with carts, pure and simple. They lost massive 3rd party support and brought nothing original to the table with the cube to get them back. I don't know a single Nintendo fan who blanes Final Fantasy of all things as the reasons for the PSX's Success over the N64.

Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that was hurt, in my opinion any way, by its 3D elements. It would have been a lot more enjoyable and pleasant on the eye if it was all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites. Its not like the animations in that game were amazing, they were very basic and could have looked better on more detailed sprites.

I never said that FF and Square was the SOLE reason why Nintendo won the SNES/Sega era, I'm saying that they helped gain Nintendo much success back in the day. If Square didn't exist Nintendo would've been victorious over Sega anyway, that's not the point. Nintendo wouldn't of had AS much success is what I'm saying. The same thing could be said about a series like GTA for the PS2. More than likely Sony would've won that console generation even if GTA3, Vice city and SA didn't exist. Your post wasn't exactly referring to what I meant. I meant more along the lines of the old-school Square fans of FF1-FF6. That's not to say Nintendo fans that have never played FF wouldn't be bitter as well though.

Dude,  Final Fantasy games really didn't have any effect on the SNES.  Look how they sold.

Not well.  Back then Square got like no recognition outside of the niche RPG fanbase.  I'm sure most of the base is happy that Square is finally getting the acclaim it deserves, they're just miffed it's for the wrong games.

CrashMan said:
"For instance: Let's say I was a pro football player, I helped lead my team to victory for many years and was a prime reason for the teams success."

There are two ways you can look at this metaphor:

1) Keyword: "Helped" lead my team to victory and was a "Prime" reason "for" the teams "Success".  It doesn't mean I was the SOLE reason.  I realize that the next part contradicts this metaphor, except that was for Sony and is sort of up for debate.  

2)I "Led" <not helped lead> my team to "victory" for many  years and was <instead of "a", "the"> "prime" reason for the teams success.

If you read through it too fast you'd probably think #2.  I just realized that myself, lol. 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
swyggi said:
CrashMan said:
FF is hardly what led Nintendo to Victory during the SNES era, or what caused its downfall with the N64. Nintendo just had better backing and better games over all. Switch just FF to Sega and there would have been little impact on that generation (but probably a huge impact on the future of the final fantasy series.

One thing caused the N64's downfall, and that was sticking with carts, pure and simple. They lost massive 3rd party support and brought nothing original to the table with the cube to get them back. I don't know a single Nintendo fan who blanes Final Fantasy of all things as the reasons for the PSX's Success over the N64.

Final Fantasy VII is one of those games that was hurt, in my opinion any way, by its 3D elements. It would have been a lot more enjoyable and pleasant on the eye if it was all 2D, maybe pre-rendered sprites. Its not like the animations in that game were amazing, they were very basic and could have looked better on more detailed sprites.

I never said that FF and Square was the SOLE reason why Nintendo won the SNES/Sega era, I'm saying that they helped gain Nintendo much success back in the day. If Square didn't exist Nintendo would've been victorious over Sega anyway, that's not the point. Nintendo wouldn't of had AS much success is what I'm saying. The same thing could be said about a series like GTA for the PS2. More than likely Sony would've won that console generation even if GTA3, Vice city and SA didn't exist. Your post wasn't exactly referring to what I meant. I meant more along the lines of the old-school Square fans of FF1-FF6. That's not to say Nintendo fans that have never played FF wouldn't be bitter as well though.

Dude, Final Fantasy games really didn't have any effect on the SNES. Look how they sold.

Not well. Back then Square got like no recognition outside of the niche RPG fanbase. I'm sure most of the base is happy that Square is finally getting the acclaim it deserves, they're just miffed it's for the wrong games.

I'm talking more along the lines of Square, not just FF.  In Japan, Square was very successful.  I realize the main discussion is about FF7, but the origin of this specific argument I made goes back to an ealier post involving Squares move from nintendo to sony.

Kasz216 said:
Edouble24 said:
oh and Jenova isn't controlling Sephiroth it's the other way around. The story writer said that. Sephiroth is the one that killed Aeris not Jenova. Everytime you run into him he sends a piece of Jenova down to fight you and at the end he's the final boss not Jenova. He's the one responsible for most of the events in FFVII by his direct actions. Jenova was evil and he was influenced by her but not in the way of mind control. Sephiroth set to carry out what Jenova started not because she was controlling him but because that's what he wanted to do. Had he succeeded with his goal, he would have become a god, not Jenova.

If there is a main villain other than Sephy in the game then it's gotta be Hojo, as he has a hand in almost everything that went down in the game.

If you have to talk to the storywriter after playing the game to figure out what happened....

It didn't have a good story.

I didn't, I knew what happened. People speculate about any good story actually, but in the Advent Children book that was released they just happen to mention that Sephiroth was indeed the main force in the game, I was just correcting someone that didn't know that. It's quite easy to find people that speculate or didn't fully understand the story in any RPG. Does that mean all of them are bad? No. 

marciosmg said:
Even though I only posted here before a few times (though I am constantly lurking), I just felt like throwing my 2 cents in.
I have been playing FF since III (VI being my favorite game ever) and I have to say I don´t hate VII. I kinda liked VII, VIII and IX, but noticed a decline in quality from the SNES era.
However, when I got to X and especially XII (didn´t even finish it), I hated it.
Finally, the only thing I really remember being interesting in VII ( I haven´t played it in a long, long time) is that, if I remember correctly, when Cloud and the others are going for their final battle, Cloud makes this speech about how he is doing it to get Sephiroth and not save the world.
I thought that it was this interesting change from heroes with an altruistic view of stopping the big bad villain and saving the world. Cloud just wanted revenge.

P.S. - With the whole Aeris being kiled thing, I remember thinking several times through the game: Why can´t I just use Phoenix Down on her? Why? I know that´s silly, but that kinda of took some of the impact of the moment for me.

Well, to each his own.  *is lurking* >_><_<>_>down the road of life<_<>_><_<this is how we travel<_<>_>*roadblock* our journey ends here -_-

Kasz216 said:
Edouble24 said:
Well in that case everyones favorite RPG can't be taken seriously because it was their first RPG apparently. I see what you guys are saying but it really doesn't connect because people only apply it to FFVII. if FFVII is your favorite RPG the first thing most FFVII haters say is "it was obviously your first RPG" but they never say that about any other games.

FFVI sure has a ton of fans, as does Chrono Trigger, do all of those people have ignorant opinions because FFVI or CT were probably their first RPGs?

Everyone starts somewhere, I don't see why someones first RPG being FFVII means you can't respect their opinion if FFVII is their favorite. You all had a first RPG as well...

My first RPG was either Dragon's Quest 1 or some text based computer RPG.

Not my favorite RPG ever.

My favorite ever... is probably Earthbound.  Though FF6 is close.

The best every i'd put at FF6 or Chrono Trigger.

SNES was a RPG beast. FF6 and CT weren't a lot of peoples first RPGS by the way. Check the sales. Those games were bought by RPG vets.

Well thanks for helping me prove my point.

swyggi said:
marciosmg said:

Well, to each his own.  *is lurking* >_><_<>_>down the road of life<_<>_><__>*roadblock* our journey ends here -_-

I´m sorry. I´m not american and english is not my first language. I honestly didn´t understand what you wrote. Were you making a joke?

www.jamesvandermemes.com