By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is XBox One The First "Smart Console" (ala Smartphones)?

because you can't download apps and browse the internet/netflix.. all while playing a game/ streaming... on the ps4....

right

mM
Around the Network

No the PSOne was.

allblue said:
thx1139 said:

Looked it up the iPhone launched at $500 and $600 with a 2 year contract. Yet it still took off because as you put it the cool factor. And that is exactly what MS is going for with the Xbox One.  Do I find the Xbox One interface practical. Hell yeah if it works and it worked OK with the 360. Biggest problem is that it didnt control everything and switching between TV, Games, Apps wasnt quick and it didnt control everything. Now if the control of everything is there it is a much cooler and honestly in the most part more convenient interface. I am sick and tired of having to walk my wife through the harmony remote over the phone because something didnt work just right.  She likes controlling the 360 today with voice, but would like it to control everything.

Have you ever in the dark hit the wrong button on a remote. Hell I know I have.  Have you ever spent time looking for the damn remote after your kids put it who knows where. Hell I know I have.  Will it be awesome to have a Bears game up with my live fantasy game right next to the main screen. Yes it will.  Will it be awesome to watch a game with my sister again. Or my son now away at school.  Yes it will.  Will it be nice to casually have a Blackhawks or Bulls game up in the snap view while I play a game and if something interesting happens instantly pop over to it.

So yeah I believe the interface is a huge improvement and will make an impact. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I dont think I will be.

So you just pretty much summed up x1's innovation into an elaborate remote controller, what else? Is it worth $500? Are you sure its main competitor ps4 isn't capable of doing the same? Have you tried out ps4's interface and media functionality?

And do you honestly believe that voice controls are going to be mainstream? Smart phones have voice functionality, honestly who uses it? You might be the minority here.

And what is the PS4s innovation then a slightly more powerful GPU that will only matter if you take out a magnifying glass and look at 2 exact same TVs side by side. Even then with my 47 year old eyes will I really be able to tell the difference.  As I said before the iPhone innovation was simply the User Experience. The Xbox One innovation beyond a much more powerful box then previous generation is the User Experience and the remote is part of it. Yes a big part of it, but it is also the UI in itself that is far better.  As for the PS4 UI it looks just plain horrible.  I havent tried it, but nothing makes me even want to try it (talking about the system UI not games).  It looks thrown together. Maybe it is functional, but it looks like functional like developers put together without the help of designers and user experience experts.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:

Looked it up the iPhone launched at $500 and $600 with a 2 year contract. Yet it still took off because as you put it the cool factor. And that is exactly what MS is going for with the Xbox One.  Do I find the Xbox One interface practical. Hell yeah if it works and it worked OK with the 360. Biggest problem is that it didnt control everything and switching between TV, Games, Apps wasnt quick and it didnt control everything. Now if the control of everything is there it is a much cooler and honestly in the most part more convenient interface. I am sick and tired of having to walk my wife through the harmony remote over the phone because something didnt work just right.  She likes controlling the 360 today with voice, but would like it to control everything.

Have you ever in the dark hit the wrong button on a remote. Hell I know I have.  Have you ever spent time looking for the damn remote after your kids put it who knows where. Hell I know I have.  Will it be awesome to have a Bears game up with my live fantasy game right next to the main screen. Yes it will.  Will it be awesome to watch a game with my sister again. Or my son now away at school.  Yes it will.  Will it be nice to casually have a Blackhawks or Bulls game up in the snap view while I play a game and if something interesting happens instantly pop over to it.

So yeah I believe the interface is a huge improvement and will make an impact. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I dont think I will be.

So you just pretty much summed up x1's innovation into an elaborate remote controller, what else? Is it worth $500? Are you sure its main competitor ps4 isn't capable of doing the same? Have you tried out ps4's interface and media functionality?

And do you honestly believe that voice controls are going to be mainstream? Smart phones have voice functionality, honestly who uses it? You might be the minority here.

And what is the PS4s innovation then a slightly more powerful GPU that will only matter if you take out a magnifying glass and look at 2 exact same TVs side by side. Even then with my 47 year old eyes will I really be able to tell the difference.  As I said before the iPhone innovation was simply the User Experience. The Xbox One innovation beyond a much more powerful box then previous generation is the User Experience and the remote is part of it. Yes a big part of it, but it is also the UI in itself that is far better.  As for the PS4 UI it looks just plain horrible.  I havent tried it, but nothing makes me even want to try it (talking about the system UI not games).  It looks thrown together. Maybe it is functional, but it looks like functional like developers put together without the help of designers and user experience experts.

That part is just opinion though. Like I prefer the UI for the PS3/PS4 over the 360/XB1. I and others are in the minority of course but it all just boils down to preference if you ask me.

Again it is far to early to tell how things will pan out, give it sometime and see what happens folks....

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Maybe I am too cynical about his, but the "snap-in" feature sounds just like the picture-in-picture feature most TVs have.

Being the only "gamer" in our house, I have the only online account, so my system automatically logs me in without having fancy Kinect recognition.

Personally I am most excited by second screen / remote play features, but for some reason these are not being hyped much (Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U are all guilty of this). Am I in the minority for wanting these features?

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:

I feel like I'm talking to somebody who is trying to sell me the console instead of explaining to me how the console is actually going to appeal to the masses, you are just giving me your opinion. Your point about resolution is invalid, there is a reason why I'm a PC gamer because there is a massive difference between 720p and 1080p, don't tell me otherwise after looking at some youtube video, compare it on a big enough tv or 1080p monitor. Besides resolution isn't the only factor in enjoyable gaming, its about getting a stable framerate, having enough CPU, RAM and graphic prowess to make sure the developers aren't handicapped and are able to realise the full vision of their talent. 

I repeat, xbox hasn't achieved a consistant 1080p or 60fps (1 acrade racer doesn't prove anything), which I expect from dedicated gaming platforms this generation. I expect you to be impartial your critique based on your age but you seem to let your bias cloud your judgement. You haven't even tried and you already made a decision that PS4 UI is horrible? 

All those innovation that you talk about are innovation to you, a person like me who has never bought a single console look at xbox1 and doesn't see its appeal. Do I see myself using voice recognition features to control my TV? Not past the first hour of appeal. Please give me an explanation on which features of x1 specifically is going to make it the next iphone? If you seriously think x1 is going  to outsell ps4 in 2-3 years time, tell me by how much. 

Also you are neglecting the fact that in 2-3 years time smart TV technology will be mainstream and more affordable. MS predict x1 to be future proof by about 7-8 years, I don't see that happening with its current hardware.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

TheBlackNaruto said:
thx1139 said:

That part is just opinion though. Like I prefer the UI for the PS3/PS4 over the 360/XB1. I and others are in the minority of course but it all just boils down to preference if you ask me.

Again it is far to early to tell how things will pan out, give it sometime and see what happens folks....

Of course it is all opinion and we will see over the next few years how off we all are. 

Another element of the Xbox One User Experience was just put up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOeauRW-EY

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

You mean... that it's a PC?

thx1139 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
thx1139 said:

Of course it is all opinion and we will see over the next few years how off we all are. 

Another element of the Xbox One User Experience was just put up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swOeauRW-EY

That's pretty cool! Seems like the voice recognition is well made. Hopefully all teh features the XB1 has will be great selling points via word of mought! Looking forward to seeing the future of both the PS4 and the XB1!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Id say so since it multitasks far better out of the box. Kinect really brings it all together.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.