By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is XBox One The First "Smart Console" (ala Smartphones)?

thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
selnor1983 said:
Ive been saying this for for ages now. I don't believe over the next 10 years just a games console will win the hardware sales war. In 5 years people will easily afford an Xbox One. And it will be even more robust thanks to the design of the system being geared to this from day 1. IMO Sony will struggle to sell to outside the gamers. Where Microsoft I believe will really take Consoles to a new level of acceptance. Hell its not really a console.

Its a true multimedia device.

Give me a list of things that are truly innovative and practical that x1 does that ps4 doesn't. 

Can you create a list of things that the 1st iPhone truly innovated and practical that a Blackberry or a Windows Mobile device didnt already do?  Remember the 1st iPhone didnt even have an app store and they cost I forget was it $499 or $599 with a contract.   So what were the innovations?

iphone took off because it was the first of its kind with a large touch screen display, it was stylish, fancy and has a wow factor to it. The ipod was already immensely popular at that time, iphone combined the media capability like music, video, web browsing with functionality of a phone by getting rid of all the hessels like physical buttons. Steve job actually directly confronted blackberry and nokia in his presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3W58S29eSE

Like I said, give me a list of things very practical and innovative that x1 does and ps4 or smart tvs don't.

So you 100% answered the way I wanted you to.  It was never about the capabilities. The iPhone wasnt a better phone. It was a crappy phone. It was the interface.  Lets face it the PS4 and Smart TVs interfaces are crap.    MS is going the exact same route that Apple took with the iPhone. They are building the better interface.  The Windows Mobile phone I had when the iPhone came out did everything the iPhone did and I could put apps and build apps for it.  Back then you couldnt even do that with the iPhone.  It was the interface that mattered.

You are comparing two very different devices, the interface on iphone matters because it was practical. Tell me which part of x1's interface do you see becoming its selling point worth $500? The voice command? Skype call? NFL deal? Do you really think people will cash out $500 so that they can favourite, switch channels, volume up volume down using kinect? Or use a skype call on their TV while skype functionality is literally on every smart device available?

I'm not bashing, just an honest question. Iphone took off because it has this cool factor, it puts appstore, music collection, book collection, mobile gaming, all into one device and hell it was practical. Every innovation sounds good on paper, but for it to take off, people actually have to use it, it has to be applicable, it has to be natural, not just be a gimmick. 

Edit: Some people do not just want a device that's jack of all trade and master of none. The correct way to implement all those additional feature is to do so without any compromise, lets be realistic, x1 is still a gaming machine for most of its audiences and it does multi-media, giving up gaming performance.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
ExistentialNihilist said:
thx1139 said:
double A batteries are the future. lawl

Seriously you brought up the type of batteries you use in the controller.  Eneloop for the win. Not only can I use them in a controller I can use them in other devices s well.  If the batteries run down I pop them out and pop in other rechargeables in moments.  Rather than have to be corded.

a device that says it's "all in one" need batteries. this is slap in the face. sorry you cant see it.

Yes built in batteries is what "all in one" means to me.  You caught me.

you purposely being dense? I buy a ps4 do I ever need new battery? no. I buy xbone it needs batteries every month. all-in-one no extra needed ever.

allblue said:
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
selnor1983 said:
Ive been saying this for for ages now. I don't believe over the next 10 years just a games console will win the hardware sales war. In 5 years people will easily afford an Xbox One. And it will be even more robust thanks to the design of the system being geared to this from day 1. IMO Sony will struggle to sell to outside the gamers. Where Microsoft I believe will really take Consoles to a new level of acceptance. Hell its not really a console.

Give me a list of things that are truly innovative and practical that x1 does that ps4 doesn't. 

Can you create a list of things that the 1st iPhone truly innovated and practical that a Blackberry or a Windows Mobile device didnt already do?  Remember the 1st iPhone didnt even have an app store and they cost I forget was it $499 or $599 with a contract.   So what were the innovations?

iphone took off because it was the first of its kind with a large touch screen display, it was stylish, fancy and has a wow factor to it. The ipod was already immensely popular at that time, iphone combined the media capability like music, video, web browsing with functionality of a phone by getting rid of all the hessels like physical buttons. Steve job actually directly confronted blackberry and nokia in his presentation:

Like I said, give me a list of things very practical and innovative that x1 does and ps4 or smart tvs don't.

So you 100% answered the way I wanted you to.  It was never about the capabilities. The iPhone wasnt a better phone. It was a crappy phone. It was the interface.  Lets face it the PS4 and Smart TVs interfaces are crap.    MS is going the exact same route that Apple took with the iPhone. They are building the better interface.  The Windows Mobile phone I had when the iPhone came out did everything the iPhone did and I could put apps and build apps for it.  Back then you couldnt even do that with the iPhone.  It was the interface that mattered.

You are comparing two very different devices, the interface on iphone matters because it was practical. Tell me which part of x1's interface do you see becoming its selling point worth $500? The voice command? Skype call? NFL deal? Do you really think people will cash out $500 so that they can favourite, switch channels, volume up volume down using kinect? Or use a skype call on their TV while skype functionality is literally on every smart device available?

I'm not bashing, just an honest question. Iphone took off because it has this cool factor, it puts appstore, music collection, book collection, mobile gaming, all into one device and hell it was practical. Every innovation sounds good on paper, but for it to take off, people actually have to use it, it has to be applicable, it has to be natural, not just be a gimmick. 

Looked it up the iPhone launched at $500 and $600 with a 2 year contract. Yet it still took off because as you put it the cool factor. And that is exactly what MS is going for with the Xbox One.  Do I find the Xbox One interface practical. Hell yeah if it works and it worked OK with the 360. Biggest problem is that it didnt control everything and switching between TV, Games, Apps wasnt quick and it didnt control everything. Now if the control of everything is there it is a much cooler and honestly in the most part more convenient interface. I am sick and tired of having to walk my wife through the harmony remote over the phone because something didnt work just right.  She likes controlling the 360 today with voice, but would like it to control everything.

Have you ever in the dark hit the wrong button on a remote. Hell I know I have.  Have you ever spent time looking for the damn remote after your kids put it who knows where. Hell I know I have.  Will it be awesome to have a Bears game up with my live fantasy game right next to the main screen. Yes it will.  Will it be awesome to watch a game with my sister again. Or my son now away at school.  Yes it will.  Will it be nice to casually have a Blackhawks or Bulls game up in the snap view while I play a game and if something interesting happens instantly pop over to it.

So yeah I believe the interface is a huge improvement and will make an impact. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I dont think I will be.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
thx1139 said:
double A batteries are the future. lawl

Seriously you brought up the type of batteries you use in the controller.  Eneloop for the win. Not only can I use them in a controller I can use them in other devices s well.  If the batteries run down I pop them out and pop in other rechargeables in moments.  Rather than have to be corded.

a device that says it's "all in one" need batteries. this is slap in the face. sorry you cant see it.

Yes built in batteries is what "all in one" means to me.  You caught me.

you purposely being dense? I buy a ps4 do I ever need new battery? no. I buy xbone it needs batteries every month. all-in-one no extra needed ever.

True, but I have plenty of eneloops for all sorts of purposes.  I even charge them with a solar charger. So that is such a minor minor issue it is comical.  About as much an issue as it is then to find the USB cable and plug the controller into the console to charge the battery.  Also my console is bout 15 feet from the couch so if I need to be connected while playing I need extension cables.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

It's the difference between Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft tossed Windows inspired features, meanwhile Sony did what it did best in the PS1/2 days: create a console solely for gaming. 

The Windows-esque/TV capabilities are great, but I'm sure Sony will be playing the catch-up card to imitate everything m$ does in the long run. 

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
thx1139 said:
allblue said:
selnor1983 said:

Looked it up the iPhone launched at $500 and $600 with a 2 year contract. Yet it still took off because as you put it the cool factor. And that is exactly what MS is going for with the Xbox One.  Do I find the Xbox One interface practical. Hell yeah if it works and it worked OK with the 360. Biggest problem is that it didnt control everything and switching between TV, Games, Apps wasnt quick and it didnt control everything. Now if the control of everything is there it is a much cooler and honestly in the most part more convenient interface. I am sick and tired of having to walk my wife through the harmony remote over the phone because something didnt work just right.  She likes controlling the 360 today with voice, but would like it to control everything.

Have you ever in the dark hit the wrong button on a remote. Hell I know I have.  Have you ever spent time looking for the damn remote after your kids put it who knows where. Hell I know I have.  Will it be awesome to have a Bears game up with my live fantasy game right next to the main screen. Yes it will.  Will it be awesome to watch a game with my sister again. Or my son now away at school.  Yes it will.  Will it be nice to casually have a Blackhawks or Bulls game up in the snap view while I play a game and if something interesting happens instantly pop over to it.

So yeah I believe the interface is a huge improvement and will make an impact. Could I be wrong? Of course, but I dont think I will be.

So you just pretty much summed up x1's innovation into an elaborate remote controller, what else? Is it worth $500? Are you sure its main competitor ps4 isn't capable of doing the same? Have you tried out ps4's interface and media functionality?

And do you honestly believe that voice controls are going to be mainstream? Smart phones have voice functionality, honestly who uses it? You might be the minority here.

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

The catch is that, software functionalities can be introduced, hardware is dead set in the stone.

It was a smart console. It was truly a console built for the feature. Due to the stupid Sony fans bashing Xbox One since the announcement, pretty much every groundbreaking feature is removed now. Xbox One is actually Xbox 720 basically. Maybe even 540.

Puppyroach said:
Well, it´s too early to tell, but from what I´ve seen the UI and integration with it is REALLY impressive and will be a new way to interact with your TV for alot of people.

I likew this answer here because it is th truth in a nutshell.

While I disagreew ith the OP for now that is, it is far to early to tell. It doesn't really do anything "new" or "innovative" but it gives a different way to do all he things you already do and  on one device at that. Maybe 5-10 years down the line with lots of word of mouth it could take off, but for now outside of "gamers" who know all these features and see the use of them it won't be that big of a deal. It will still sell tons none the less though.

So I like the features and all in one capabilities(even if some are just made for the lazy person to be come even lazier lol) now where it goes in the future only time will tell!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

This is a good way to advertise. You need to call ms.