By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is XBox One The First "Smart Console" (ala Smartphones)?

Jay520 said:
Soundwave said:

In the console evolution, I feel like the XBox One is like what the advent of smart phones were to cell phones. 

Previous cell phones (or "dumb phones" if you will) had basic functionality like you could make calls, text, play some rudimentary games, even take photos by 2003 or so, but "smart phones" with touch based OS interfaces like the iPhone completely changed everything, even though you could say "well it's just a phone, I just make phone calls and text with it". 

I think for all the flak MS has gotten a lot of people are sleeping on the potential of this ... this IMO is also truly the first game console almost anyone can use as long as they can talk. The Kinect camera even automatically recognizes who you are when the system boots up, this is something a grandparent use, the interface is that intuitive. 

PS4 is a terrific console, but it still in many ways feels like a "dumb console", the X1 feels like something that's connected to the broader internet and your cable TV at all times, not just a walled in "video game network". I think for once Microsoft has finally beaten Apple to the punch -- they missed out on iPhone and iPad, but they got to Apple first by getting X1 out before Apple iTV. This is the product Apple should have made first. 

From what I have seen so far, I must disagree. The Xbox One doesn't seem to allow you to do anything dramatically different than what we were able to do before, like smart phones. Rather, the innovation behind the Xbox One lies more in execution and accessibility rather than actual features. The examples you gave with cable TV and "broader internet" (whatever that is) were already availlable to people. The Xbox One just made them easier, prettier, and able to talk to. 

You can look at how there have been hundreds of smartphones(Blackberry is the easiest example).  But wheN Apple finally made a phone that anyone could use, they cracked open the market to the masses.  I think that is what Soundwave is saying.  Aple didn't create any new technology, they just made it easier and more attractive to use.  Will the market accept this device?  I think it will take a little longer than the iphone(about 15 minutes!), but within a year or so, there will be enough of them out in the real world for them to sell themselves.  Look at what made the Wii such a success, people telling otheres how cool it was to use.  I agree with others that say that it will sell as a games console.  But it is quite obvious that M$ will ensure that it crosses the line from a games console to a mainstream media control center in the living room.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
ExistentialNihilist said:
Goatseye said:
double A batteries are the future. lawl

Lasts longer, why not?

does your smartphone use double As too? lawl

Smart saving phone...

Not for me. I'd actually say the 360 was the first to take that step in functionality. The infrastructure was so much more diverse than anything we'd seen previously; it felt like a living thing.

Alternatively, you could go further back and say the PS2 - the built in DVD player completely changed the landscape;, suddenly these big plastic boxes had multiple functionality, and that was huge. The PSX before that could play CDs, but that never really felt like a revelation in the same way. I'd still say the 360 was the final step into the realm of 'smart' consoles, but the PS2 definitely opened the door for it.

So for me the XBOne (still working on a preferable way of typing that thing..) is very much evolution, not revolution.

I don't want a multimedia focusing console. I want a gaming console. I am a gamer. Games are the most important aspect of my gaming console. I can watch NFL on my tv.

K.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I would say so yes. X360 was a nice step in the right direction but with the Xbox One's UI you can now control your living room with voice and the snapping. It really does seem like a one and all device and it looks like it is going to be very successful with it. Whether you want to search internet, watch tv, watch netflix, skype, play a game, check the weather, etc You'll be able to do it fast and fluidly on Xbox One. This isnt to say that other devices hasn't been going in the right direction though. I would say PS4 is going a little more down that route just to a much less degree. By the end of this generation I expect some dramatic changes over time like we saw with the X360/PS3. Who knows what things will be like in a few years O.O

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
I don't want a multimedia focusing console. I want a gaming console. I am a gamer. Games are the most important aspect of my gaming console. I can watch NFL on my tv.

K.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who was adament about not getting a smartphone. He just wanted to make phone calls on his phone. 

Most "gamers" aren't strict gaming robots or something. We watch TV. We like to be connected to the internet. We have friends and a social life outside just our "gamer tags". But generally speaking, when watching TV or playing games we've been more or less cut off from that world. Just like in the past when you left your house, you were basically cut off from the internet, no one really did web browsing on their cell phone before. 

Phone calls are still the most "important" aspect of my smartphone, but in today's age there's no reason I don't expect to be able to browse the internet, check my social networking sites, listen to music on my phone while I'm working out at the gym, etc. etc. etc. 

Just like smart phones this is the future IMO of TV/consoles. This is why too I think Sony upgraded to 8GB of RAM, it had nothing to really do with gaming (the 4GB they were planning on would've been sufficient), they were concerned that MS might have some cool ideas with all this extra functionality and needed the extra RAM in case they wanted to copy said ideas. 

Soundwave said:
ps3-sales! said:

K.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who was adament about not getting a smartphone. He just wanted to make phone calls on his phone. 

Most "gamers" aren't strict gaming robots or something. We watch TV. We like to be connected to the internet. 

Phone calls are still the most "important" aspect of my smartphone, but in today's age there's no reason I don't expect to be able to browse the internet, check my social networking sites, listen to music on my phone while I'm working out at the gym, etc. etc. etc. 

The thing is, while you are correct about watching tv and being connected to the internet, I (as with most people as well) already have multiple devices for that. I have a laptop computer. It does most of my internet needs (such as vgchartz). I have an Iphone 5. That's where I check my facebook, email, quick basketball scores, ect. I have a Ps3 and a Vita. While I do use the Vita (Music unlimited service) for music playing, I do so while I play games. My ps3 is only used for games. 

I like to use my gaming consoles for games, is what I'm trying to say.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
Soundwave said:
ps3-sales! said:

K.

Most "gamers" aren't strict gaming robots or something. We watch TV. We like to be connected to the internet. 

The thing is, while you are correct about watching tv and being connected to the internet, I (as with most people as well) already have multiple devices for that. I have a laptop computer. It does most of my internet needs (such as vgchartz). I have an Iphone 5. That's where I check my facebook, email, quick basketball scores, ect. I have a Ps3 and a Vita. While I do use the Vita (Music unlimited service) for music playing, I do so while I play games. My ps3 is only used for games. 

I like to use my gaming consoles for games, is what I'm trying to say.

I have multiple devices, but when watching TV this is far more convienant. Voice control television I think is definitely the optimal TV interface. I don't want to be looking down at my freaking tablet to message a friend when I'm trying to simultaneously watch Game of Thrones or the Heat-Bulls basketball game or something. 

I love that the X1 also automatically recoginizes you as soon as the Kinect turns on and automatically loads up all your favorite settings and what not. No need to even say anything. 

This is something I will use and keep on for the whole day, not just when I'm playing games. 

disagree.

360 was the 1st. ps3 was 2nd. ps4 was 3rd. xbone is 4th.

xbone might be moving things forward but 360 was the console that was the real game changer. xbone and ps4 is exactly what i expected from a next gen console. more of the same but evolved to be better.

Goatseye said:
double A batteries are the future. lawl

Lasts longer, why not?

does your smartphone use double As too? lawl

Mine uses a battery, are you comparing the PS4 controller to the IPhone, that has to charge for a couple hours instead of being able to instantly switch for a fresh battery? Its actually pretty usefull when I'm on a road trip or standing in line for Black Friday. I have 3 extra batteries for my phone.